Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Boys with Long Hair?

Length
    1/short/28
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Little Boys with Long Hair?

Just saw my little neighbor who is about 8 and he has hair to his waist. Got me to thinking what do all of you other long haired people think about that? I asked the mom one time and she said they had been growing it form day one. Personally I think moms should wait until their sons are older to avoid some of the gender confusion and until they ask to grow it out themselves, but thats just me.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Little Boys with Long Hair?

I totally agree with you. If I saw a boy with hair this long I'd think his mom wanted to have a daughter and now she's pretending to have one. Maybe he is not as popular amongst the other boys at school as he would be with shorter hair. If I had a son I'd let him to have long hair but only shoulder length or shorter. Waist length is a bit strange on an 8 year old boy.

Well -- it probably depends on the cultural context. I live in a town with large Native population and lots of little Native boys have long ponytails. It's completely normal and ordinary. That said, I guess I would hesitate to do anything to my child's appearance that would make them seem "strange" -- it just seems like unnecessary stress for a child. Of course, once they're a teenager, they'll probably want to be strange, but then a parent has little control over that...

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Here in Los Angeles County I see tons of boys with long hair. Not always waist length, but definitely longer than one might expect to see elsewhere.

I've seen shoulder length hair on little boys as young as three (at my son's preschool) and on up to and through high school.

In the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
    Length
    <1"/waist/btsme
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Oh gosh, this was years ago, but I had a friend whose little brother had straight, long hair almost to waist. The little boy absolutely adored it and was forever twirling it around his finger. I guess it was his version of a security blanket. The mom didn't care either way. She'd periodically ask him if he'd like to have it cut short like other boys and he always refused. I wonder what it looks like now that he's all grown up.

Length
    Jaw/n/a/Hip?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I like it. I don't like people growing their daughters hair out and insisting their sons have buzz cuts. Of course the kid should be allowed to chop it all off if he's sick of it.
    Maybe a little boy who looks slightly different would grow up a little more tolerent of people who don't look just like him.
    Hanging out around BSL and just going with the flow.

Length
    7''/7''/36''
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by *Aoife* View Post
    Maybe a little boy who looks slightly different would grow up a little more tolerent of people who don't look just like him.
    I agree with this. I also don't think that long hair on a male has anything to do with gender confusion.

Maybe it is just my family, but the only way my son's hair could grow that long is if he liked it. My little guy knows his mind and that is why he is in control of what his hair looks like. So far, he wants his hair super short like his Papa's hair. If he ever decides to grow it, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Length
    Jaw/n/a/Hip?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Maplecat View Post
    I agree with this. I also don't think that long hair on a male has anything to do with gender confusion.

Maybe it is just my family, but the only way my son's hair could grow that long is if he liked it. My little guy knows his mind and that is why he is in control of what his hair looks like. So far, he wants his hair super short like his Papa's hair. If he ever decides to grow it, I'm sure it will be beautiful.
    Thank you for that You sound like a sweet mom
    Hanging out around BSL and just going with the flow.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Years ago DH and I had a friend with a son who had long hair (tailbone or longer). He almost always wore a big round pin-on button (like you see with political slogans) that said: I am not a girl. I am a boy with long hair. If anybody said anything, he'd point to his button.

Length
    short/knee+/term?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't cause gender confusion. I once accidentally referred to a baby as as girl instead of a boy, and the mother was extremely rude about it. Well I'm sorry, but that african american baby with a big poofy ponytail on top of his head looked girly - and the generic clothing didn't help either!

On the other hand, I was at a mobile daycare photo shoot and saw the cutest little 3 yr old boy with shoulder length blonde hair looking like a surfer with his rockin' Hurley shirt on! That's how it's done...
    Lady Leokadia, Conjurer of Multilateral Arts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights