Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing red tones from dyed brown hair

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Removing red tones from dyed brown hair

After much angst and pondering, I have decided to *heavy sigh* not go blonde again and will let my hair grow out it's natural color (dark ashy blonde/brown)
    So now what do I do with the hair that is here?
    It is a mish mash of colors that are not at all flattering to my skin. I am very pale and I have rosacea, so pale and red, not good with the orange/red tones that are now in my hair as the brown fades. The top of course is me, about 2 inches of dark ash with a supprising amount of silver, (Egads! was not expecting that!) and gold, in the sun, that is the only time the gold comes out, lol, I am a christmas tree! Silver and gold! The next 6 inches or so is not bleached, but has been dyed with a permenant dye, then a demi on top of that. (all brown) the rest has been through a myriad of bleaching and coloring.
    I am OK with the darkness of the hair, even though it is summer soon and I soooooo want to be blonde, but no, no no no , cripsy hair, roots a plenty, just no no no. *more heavy sighs*
    I need to get the red out though, is there a gentile way to do this?
    An at home thing would be prefered, I dont have the $$$ to go to a salon, and I dont want to go through the lecture of my damaged hair and how they can "fix" it = chopping off about all my hair and adding more chemicals to what remains.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Removing red tones from dyed brown hair

I'm pretty much exactly in the same situation as you are. But I'm afraid i have no solution. Red tones are very hard to get out of the hair, sometimes even with chemicals. My best solution is, sorry, to just let it fade away. It takes time, I know. :/

I hope someone else will have a better (faster) suggestion.

I love chickens.  vanity_acefake's Avatar
    Length
    13/33/Termi
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

You could try a purple shampoo for blonde hair. It cancels out the red brassy tones in blonde hair so it should do the same for you.
    Growing old DISgracefully!

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by vanity_acefake View Post
    You could try a purple shampoo for blonde hair. It cancels out the red brassy tones in blonde hair so it should do the same for you.
    Don't they cancel yellow tones?

Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by vanity_acefake View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines, but of a violet rinse (i.e. old-lady-style blue rinse!). You have to use it after ever wash, but it's cheap and effective!

EDIT: These sorts of rinses are intended for blonde hair - on my medium brown hair I use double concentration to get the effect I want. I don't know whether this would work for you, Trillcat, with the mix of colours in your hair

(Here's what I mean)
    Last edited by Leneveu; May 11th, 2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Clarification

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I am a stylist and I can tell you the only way to get red out of darker hair is to colour over it with a shade that cancels out the red. The purple shampoo or a toner will not work for this.
    I recommend Natural Instincts in the Brass Free collection. (seen here http://www.clairol.ca/en_ca/collecti...ts/brass_free/) these are available in most drug stores.
    These colours are semi permanent, but on my hair last even longer than permanent. Also it is ammonia free, and not damaging to hair at all. One thing I will mention is that the colour shows up much darker than they claim, so medium brown is actually VERY dark, and light brown is a medium brown shade. I have not tried the blondes as I am in a completely different boat than you, I am a natural blonde who wants desperately to be a brunette...

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I have the same skin-tone. The wrong hair color can make me look really ruddy. I'm also a big fan of silver shampoos, but I have been using them to cancle yellow tones.

Also, what about wearing your hair up- the artificial colors would be away from your skin and updos with varying colors in the hair can look really nice!
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calaelen View Post
    I am a stylist and I can tell you the only way to get red out of darker hair is to colour over it with a shade that cancels out the red. The purple shampoo or a toner will not work for this.
    I recommend Natural Instincts in the Brass Free collection. (seen here http://www.clairol.ca/en_ca/collecti...ts/brass_free/) these are available in most drug stores.
    These colours are semi permanent, but on my hair last even longer than permanent. Also it is ammonia free, and not damaging to hair at all. One thing I will mention is that the colour shows up much darker than they claim, so medium brown is actually VERY dark, and light brown is a medium brown shade. I have not tried the blondes as I am in a completely different boat than you, I am a natural blonde who wants desperately to be a brunette...
    The last color I put on my head was Natural Instincts Brass Free Brunettes, lightest brown. Brass free? Not so much. It also holds the hair better than most permenant dyes I have used.
    I used it over a perm. brown dye that was fading to orange over my bleached hair. It turned my hair red, gold and bronze, I liked it actually when it was all on there, it was quite pretty, though it looked so fake, and was not at all what I was going for. The remnants of this are what is making my hair an odd color now.
    Im not a brunette, or a blonde or a red head, it is like someone put all these pretty colors into a bucket, mixed them up and dumped it on my head!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I am the poster child for getting the brass out. I use Wella Color Touch in a cool brown shade with the weakest developer they have. It closely matches my natural color so there is no demarcation line, and it's cool so it covers all the old orange hair.

And can I just say to stay away from box dyes. They are the reason you are getting brassy. I'm surprised a stylist would recommend them to be honest.

Why do they create brass? Because they use a high volume developer because they want the color to work for everyone since it's a generic box. When you do it yourself, you are able to minimize the damage and get a gentler deposit with minimal lift.

Here is a recent LHC thread about the color touch: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...la+color+touch There are also photos of my hair before and after, plus a photo of my hair when it was at its brassiest.

Length
    33.5/33.5/33.5
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

According to the color wheel the opposite of red is green, or blueish green if its more of an orange tint.

So you would be looking to add a greenish or blueish tint to your hair to cancel out the red tones.

I don't know about any hair products that come in that color and are just a color rinse, but what you could try is either food coloring or sugar free kool-aid.

Either one adds just a slight tint to your hair which might take out the red tones. Theres a bunch of tutorials online on how to use either for a color rinse (or to dye your hair with if youve bleached it)

This ehow article also suggests a certain product http://www.ehow.com/how_6185242_use-...r-shampoo.html
    but Ive personally never tried it.