Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm desperate for help here!!!!

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default I'm desperate for help here!!!!

Well, basically, I've been bleaching my hair bright blonde for the past year (probably once every 2-3 months), and I've noticed my hair has become LOTS thinner. My hair used to be very thick as well. Luckily, my hair doesn't look that damaged, as it's quite sleek and smooth with not much more split ends than the average person.

I've decided to quit bleaching my hair. So, will my hair get thicker overtime? I know you can't really determine these kinds of things, but roughly how long do you think it will take? As advised by a hair care expert, I'm taking Cod Liver oil capsules daily at the moment - and I'm planning on taking Biotin with a multivitamin pretty soon too.

My hair feels as if it's still growing okay, and it's still rather long - thankfully!

P.S. Oh, and please don't suggest I get it trimmed every 6-8 weeks; I find that method is totally useless to me, as it doesn't speed up the growth at all. Once you constantly cut it at the same length, your hair gets used to being that length - since I've found that out with my own hair. Besides, I can't face getting my hair cut - not ever!

P.P.S. Don't tell me to use Castor Oil, I know so many people that have used that stuff, and I'm not prepared to go round with a head drenched in grease for a long period of time.

Thanks guys!

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I'm desperate for help here!!!!

It sounds like you're already on the right track. I doubt you'd find many here who will tell you to trim every 6-8 weeks. Many people here only trim once a year or less! So yeah, there's no need for you to trim unless you feel like your hair needs it. However, eventually you will need to cut the damaged bleached part off, but that's a long ways away. You could try looking into different washing methods to see what your hair likes. Conditioner only is usually what people try first.

To answer your question, yeah, your hair should thicken up over time. It just depends on how fast your hair grows. That's hard to say. But as your new growth and less damaged hair grows out, it will be much thicker than the thinned ends.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I think the general idea is similar to taking a cloth or something and bleaching it. Over a period of time the cloth will begin to thin and fall apart. The bleach breaks down the bonds in your hair in a similar way. If you stop bleaching, you will stop adding to the damage and with good care may be able to at least keep your hair from getting too much worse. Your new hair will be virgin and should be fine.

Supplements are usually a good thing and cant hurt. They wont fix the damage but my help with the new healthy hair. Damage is damage and there isnt alot you can do but try to really protect the hair and be gentle with it and take as much care with it as possible. I just love Nightbloomings Panacea Hair Salve. She sells it on etsy. I think it has helped my ends alot. Doing some SMTs and other conditioning type things may help also. Staying away from heated appliances and protective updos may also help. There is alot of good advice here that may help you.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    14"/38"/??
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

As Ravenne said, your hair will get thicker over time. People here do lots of different things with their hair because everyone's hair has different and individual needs, and everyone has their own set of hair goals. What it boils down to, for most people, is a combination of TLC and patience. There isn't any way to make your hair thicker overnight, but you can certainly pamper what you have while you wait for new hair to grow in. Your existing hair will probably be fragile and prone to breaking, even if you haven't seen a lot of damage at this point, but whatever shape it's in there will be people here who've grown out beautiful and healthy long hair from a similar starting point, and others and various stages of the journey. Welcome.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I know you stated that you won't do it, i'm inclined to ask you why because castor oil is famous for promoting hair growth. You can leave it on only for an hour before wash, for example. If it's too sticky, you can dilute it with a lighter oil.

If that's a complete no-no for you, i have other recommendations. You can exercise if you aren't already. Scalp massages are good to decrease shedding and increase growth. Stay away from very tight hats and hairdos that pull hair too tightly. Don't yank at hair while combing.

These are all i know of. And oh yes, they will grow back if you stop using chemicals

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful.
    Hmm, I might consider Castor Oil; I am prone to changing my midn frequently anyway!

I was quite scared when I first posted this thread, just in case I got some: "omfg you've ruined your hair and it's just going to all fall out and make you bald forever and ever."
    I'm such a paranoid person, people tell me that my hair is fine the way it is and that it's already super long...but I'm just a obsessive perfectionist that notices each and every little thing on me, which sucks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora. View Post
    Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful.
    Hmm, I might consider Castor Oil; I am prone to changing my midn frequently anyway!

I was quite scared when I first posted this thread, just in case I got some: "omfg you've ruined your hair and it's just going to all fall out and make you bald forever and ever."
    I'm such a paranoid person, people tell me that my hair is fine the way it is and that it's already super long...but I'm just a obsessive perfectionist that notices each and every little thing on me, which sucks lol.
    Hey hey. It's all good - I admit to being a bleacher of several years myself, and I was able to save 90% of my M/iii hair - little trimming involved. Just go with the flow, like everyone else said. Only trim when your hair really needs it, and baby it. Good luck.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

It's just a matter of growing it back out. No big deal. You may find that coating it with silicone poducts makes it a seem little thicker and probably protects your hair from too much more wear. The bleach ate your hair's thickness.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I'm a regular highlighter (i have dark brown hair), every 4-6 weeks. Been doing it as long as I've been a member here (almost five years) and longer. The key is knowing how to treat your hair, as in, gently and give it tons of moisture, like honey, water and conditioner. I went two years between hair trims. There are others here like me, who get regular salon highlighting. My hair is 40+" now and I intend to keep growing it, but keeping it trimmed to BC length. Oh and I also dilute my shampoo, that has really been a key factor in taking care of the hair and the scalp.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I hate to tell you what you don't want to hear, but castor oil really can help increase thickness. Emu oil would be another choice. Otherwise it sounds like you're beginning to do all the right things for your hair.