Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henna + Hibiscus

Type
    1a/1b/M/i

Red face Henna + Hibiscus

Hello all =) I have finally decided to henna my hair, since it really needs the care, and since i f..erm, altered its colour with chemical dyes which persistantly refuse to go away, and look gross anyway.

So I go to the phytotherapist and ask him if he has henna. He sold me some for 2 bucks/200 gr ( viva middle east) i hope it's good, of course i'll strand test first. He asked me what colour I wanted to achieve and I said I want it burgundy. So he gave me some dried hibiscus petals and told me to use this instead of tea, to make them boil until the colour of the water is the colour I want before I add it to the henna (and add one tablespoon of yogurt and one tablespoon of vinegar).

Since I don't remember reading that "tip" on this forum, I thought I'd let you know, and of course I'll share my results with you! I just need to find the time to dye
    http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ra-Memycat.jpg
    Me at around 15 with virgin hair . . .

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

just make sure the henna is safe with no metals or PDD.
    hennaforhair is a good site.
    Also. hibiscus does dye the hair red...but i think it is temporary.
    Henna is good, just repeatedly use it until you get the desired result. Also make sure you leave it AT LEAST 2 hours! Or else you won't notice a thing. I left it on 12 hours once. left a good stain (sleep with it in if you like, just make sure there is an old towel to drip on)
    AND ALWAYS do a test strip on your hair and your skin to make sure you get the desired result and it doesn't irritate your skin! Some bad henna (with metals and PDD) can cause hair to rip to pieces and baaad stuff, so be careful!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

I do that (2x the amnt of flowers to water), only I don't add yoghurt and ACV to my henna mix. And I find the hibiscus tea gives a purpley tone, which is increased by then using some more as a rinse each time I wash my hair. The rinse purple isn't permanent though

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hibiscus is also a great natural hair conditioner, though the dye from it will fade and probably won't impact the henna much.

If you're going for burgendy I'd leave out the yogurt and ACV, just go fro nice strong (warm) hibiscus tea. The acid in the ACV will in inhibit the henna and make it a bit lighter/more orange. I'm not convinced the yogurt will do anything beneficial, though it won't hurt.

Here is how to test if your henna is good

Best of luck!

Length
    31/Class/term

I think I've noticed a few posters saying they found hibiscus to inhibit the henna dye. I think hibiscus tea is pretty acidic, so that makes sense I suppose.

I honestly think it's so easy to push past copper into the cool reds, that there's no additive necessary. Just multiple full-head applications will do it fine! A few drops of lavender EO in the mix couldn't hurt, though.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That may inhibit it, but I don't think by nearly as much as lemon juice or ACV, but when in doubt, go for water

I haven't found the PH of hibiscus, but I did find this:
    Hibiscus contains 15-30% organic acids such as citric, maleic, and tartaric. It also contains acidic polysaccharides and flavonoid glycosides such as cyanidin and delphenidin that give it its characteristic colour.

Length
    31/Class/term

I never really went looking for the exact numbers or anything. I just figure if it tastes sour, leave it out. No point in wasting good lawsone!

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

So if I put henna over black hair and add hibiscus tea and lavendar oil in with the henna, will I get a pretty purplish glow to my hair? But it won't last?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shellblue1 View Post
    So if I put henna over black hair and add hibiscus tea and lavendar oil in with the henna, will I get a pretty purplish glow to my hair? But it won't last?
    Over black hair you'll get deep reddish hues that can darken to burgundy if you do enough applications. If you want purple gleams you could always consider mixing some Manic Panic dye in with your henna. Some people here use that to get their hair fire engine red.

I would say that the hibiscus isn't necessary, really. Just water and the EO to terp if you wish (though I have yet to see any evidence that terping henna for hair affects the results near as much as it does when the same henna is applied to skin).

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    I never really went looking for the exact numbers or anything. I just figure if it tastes sour, leave it out. No point in wasting good lawsone!
    Yes an no I use chamomile tea and cassia to keep the henna light and coppery rather than having it darken, just because the lighter red looks better with my complexion.