Page 1 of 1107 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Hello. My name is Pixna, and I am a hair-toy addict.

It started many years ago when my hair was waist length. Although I had a big chop two and a half years ago, I hung on to my hair toys. Now I have grown my hair out again and am aiming for tailbone or longer this time around. Despite already having a good collection of luscious hair toys, I find myself wanting more, more, more -- the latest, the greatest, the most beautiful. I am especially captivated by hand-crafted, unique, artisan wooden hair sticks and forks, the more exotic the wood and exciting the grain the better. I am powerless to resist when confronted with a gorgeous new hair toy. I am so defenseless that I recently ordered two new containers (to add to my two current ones) so I would have sufficient storage for all of them.

Please introduce yourself and tell us YOUR hair-toy addiction story.

P.S. Could someone please volunteer to bring the coffee and doughnuts?
    Last edited by Pixna; May 10th, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Hello. My name is Franny and I am a hairtoy addict.

My hair has been longer and shorter and longer and shorter since I joined here almost 4 years ago, and I have amassed plenty of hairtoys in that time that will work if my hair is at APL or shorter or when my hair gets to my goal length.

I have Ficcare clips of all kinds and sizes, hair sticks aplenty, barrettes, hair forks, you name it. I was away from LHC for 15 months and didn't buy one hair toy during that time. I don't know why. But now that I've been back for a few months...

Honestly, I know I don't need one more hair accessory.

But I NEED more hair accessories.

I don't have doughnuts, but I do have popcorn. Plenty. :drama: I'm hoping that there will be other members of this group. We can't be the only ones.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Hi Pixna! My name is rags and I am a hair-toy addict. It all began innocently enough when I read a thread about 60th street forks. One fork never hurt anyone, right? But then I began ordering two or three at a time, and then I discovered Ketylos, and......it was all downhill from there!

I am currently managing my addiction fairly well, and only buying things which truly speak to me. Unfortunately, that would include most handmade, artisan wood sticks and forks. I too prefer exotic woods (not a huge dymondwood fan, though I have some peices in it) with gorgeous grains.
    I have made peace with my inner hair toy hoarder, and now just enjoy my beautiful toys! (well, and buy new ones! )
    Last edited by rags; May 10th, 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm countryhopper, and I became a hairtoy addict about the same time I joined the site (ironic, no? )

I have 7 hairsticks and 4 forks. I started off with all metal hairtoys, but they tend to be more heavy and slide easier. then I bought two custom topped wooden hairsticks. I LOVE them, but since my hair isn't quite long enough to do many buns, they hold mostly peacock twists. My newest two sticks are made of horn. One is cream colored with a gorgeous grey streak running through it, the other is black and is actually a two inch comb on one end and has a beautiful curved handle, so it doubles as a stick and toy!

Oh, and I have one EZ comb. I love how I can lay my head down and it doesn't dig in my head the way claw clips do (although I have a couple of those, too!)

Ok, coffee's done perking! Do you guys want cream or sugar or both? And I hear the oven bell announcing warm cinnamon rolls!

Length
    15 in/38"/55
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I am a hairtoy addict too. In fact I had to buy a little 4 drawer wicker cabinet recently to keep them all in! I had my classic hair cut in 1995 (it is now back to hip) and I am so so so glad I kept all the hairtoys I had then. They have since been added too. Spring clips are my fave, I have a drawerful of them but have since got into claw clips, ficcares, little clips to hold the sides back, fancy pony tail bands etc etc etc.
    Jackie the Hippy Faery

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Mmmm. Warm cinnamon rolls -- thanks Countryhopper! I think I'll have hazelnut soy creamer and sugar in my coffee. Nothing like a good sugar rush while we're discussing our hair-toy addictions! Yum! Who's up next?

Hello, my name is Silver & Gold. I do not belong in this thread at al because I am NOT a hairtoy addict although I am sometimes mistaken for one.

I am a hairtoy aficionado. My appreciation (do not read this as addiction) began when I was but a child and saw an updo fashioned in place with a hairstick. I was fascinated by the simple elegance of the hairstick which served both to fasten and to ornament the hair.

I had long hair as a pre-schooler but my mother got tired of trying to care for my hair and having 3 sons with short hair and a husband who was a barber decided to take the path of least resistance and have my hair cut into a pixie. I hated my haircut and wanted it long for my entire life but was not allowed to grow it long until I reached an age where my mother thought I could care for my hair properly on my own. Every attempt to grow my hair was met with bribery from my parents to cut it once again as soon as it got to that awful, awkward stage. So my future for growing my hair was set at an early age. As an adult I tried to grow my hair long but as soon as my hair got to that awkard stage my inner voice would find some way to sabotage my attempt to grow my hair by trying to make my hair look good at that stage. Perhaps I would try a perm. FAIL Perhaps I would cut off the bottom layers and blunt up the hemline. FAIL Perhaps I would cut in some layers. FAIL Try bangs. FAIL Consult a beautician. HUGE FAIL

So finally I decided to just knuckle down and go for it, without any attempts to fix those awkward phases and instead figure out how to fasten my hair up in a way that flattered and disguised the awkward phase and bad hair days. And then I remembered my early fascination with hairsticks.

I started googling to find 'hairsticks' and found a world of hand-crafted and vintage pieces that I never knew existed. Believing them way out of my price range I started to purchase some inexpensive hairsticks at Claires/Icing and practicing with them. Then I found that Quecraft made some lovely hairsticks that were not too expensive and hand carved as well. From there I moved to Arts-in-Crafts, Graydog, Monkthemonk and others well known to the hairtoy collector group. I was hooked. I mean, intrigued. *cough*

Eventually I moved on to lesser known and vintage pieces. I found myself researching and acquiring pieces so rare that I have not seen their like. I found rare hairsticks made by Thomas Mann, glass hairsticks with little frogs and lizards clinging to the end and jade hairsticks.

I now run a small hair toy museum. I have crystal vases which line the shelves of a book case with glass doors. Each vase is filled with various hairsticks. One is vase dedicated to Mei Fa. A couple vases are dedicated to hand turned wood designers. Another with Ron Quattro's work. Yet another with QueCraft designs, one with Lalo Orna and a smaller glass filled with Bijoux Manoel hairpins. Then there is the lined wood box with hair daggers/swords that I've recently begun collecting that also contains a lovely mother-of-pearl, hand carved hairpin in the shape of a leaf. Oh and a tiny bud vase that holds a custom feather and arrowhead design by Wistful Frog Designs with matching feather earrings draped on the lip of the vase, while a modest box holds a custom piece by Barefoot Maiden with matching earrings.

One could get lost in the designs in this bookcase alone but let us move along to the jewelry armoire to the right. Although it does have some lovely jewelry in the first few drawers the real attraction is the drawers with hair combs and forks. In these drawers are found a small collection of Ficcares, some vintage hair combs and hand carved wood combs by Baerreis. A set of lovely vintage carved ebony hairpins are among some of the other treasures contained therein as well as some jeweled fakkares.

Moving right along to the top of the dresser there are a couple of large jewelry boxes, the taller box with the drawer at the bottom level containing various blingy pieces and some rare vintage pieces as well as some sterling silver hair ornaments and various hairslides. The other box contains my collection of horn combs for grooming, not adornment. Really it's a nightmare trying to catalogue all these items.

But this is not about a hairtoy addiction. This is about hairtoy appreciation.

So what am I doing in a thread like this? Well, I'm here to help all of you who are hopelessly addicted to the pursuit of more and more hairtoys. Although I can quit anytime, I do understand how these things can spiral out of control for those of you who have a weaker constitution. And I'm here to offer my assistance. If any of you feel you need to unload your burden of hairtoys and quit 'cold turkey'. I'm here for ya, sister. Just send your items to me and I will find an appropriate place in my hairtoy museum. And don't worry that they won't get properly cared for. Each wooden and horn hairtoy gets oiled as they need it and all hairstoys get worn in my hair eventually so that people who cannot visit my museum can enjoy them as well.

If you should feel particularly weak because there is an item up for bids on ebay, don't worry about bidding on it. I will take care of that for you. No worries, the item will not go unsold as long as the rest of you resist the urge to bid and the price is in my range. Same with items you find on the swap board or at etsy. As my budget permits I will purchase these items as well. After all, a good museum needs a wide range of items to fairly represent a collection.

I am willing to take donations of hairtoys or money in order to keep my museum going and I've already made great sacrifices to collect what I have so far in my collection. But again, this is about history and art appreciation. NOT addiction. I repeat, I am NOT addicted.

*Pins hair up with my Night Blooming 3rd Anniversary Hair Stick- Nighttime Ivy and heads out the door to see if it's too soon to sell some blood again. Feeling a bit woozy from the last time I gave blood about an hour ago I decide to try and find someone who would be willing to pay good cash for a couple of teeth that I don't need all that badly.*
    Last edited by Silver & Gold; May 10th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.

Sipping Darjeeling with Jesus and LisaJaney
    Length
    24/42.5/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I don't know what you people are talking about. I can quit anytime. ::twitch::

~ click the pic ~

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

S&G, you have me rolling on the floor (literally)!!!!! I am laughing so hard it hurts!

Welcome, Tresses. I think thou doth protest too much. Pull up a chair and join us!

Sipping Darjeeling with Jesus and LisaJaney
    Length
    24/42.5/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixna View Post
    S&G, you have me rolling on the floor (literally)!!!!! I am laughing so hard it hurts!

Welcome, Tresses. I think thou doth protest too much. Pull up a chair and join us!
    Well...ok...I'll pull up a chair. But I'm only here for a friend.

Really.

And the cinnamon rolls look yummy.

:: opens a tab to etsy ::

~ click the pic ~