Page 1 of 1025 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Hello. My name is Pixna, and I am a hair-toy addict.

It started many years ago when my hair was waist length. Although I had a big chop two and a half years ago, I hung on to my hair toys. Now I have grown my hair out again and am aiming for tailbone or longer this time around. Despite already having a good collection of luscious hair toys, I find myself wanting more, more, more -- the latest, the greatest, the most beautiful. I am especially captivated by hand-crafted, unique, artisan wooden hair sticks and forks, the more exotic the wood and exciting the grain the better. I am powerless to resist when confronted with a gorgeous new hair toy. I am so defenseless that I recently ordered two new containers (to add to my two current ones) so I would have sufficient storage for all of them.

Please introduce yourself and tell us YOUR hair-toy addiction story.

P.S. Could someone please volunteer to bring the coffee and doughnuts?
    Last edited by Pixna; May 10th, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair-Toy Addicts...Check In Here!

Hello. My name is Franny and I am a hairtoy addict.

My hair has been longer and shorter and longer and shorter since I joined here almost 4 years ago, and I have amassed plenty of hairtoys in that time that will work if my hair is at APL or shorter or when my hair gets to my goal length.

I have Ficcare clips of all kinds and sizes, hair sticks aplenty, barrettes, hair forks, you name it. I was away from LHC for 15 months and didn't buy one hair toy during that time. I don't know why. But now that I've been back for a few months...

Honestly, I know I don't need one more hair accessory.

But I NEED more hair accessories.

I don't have doughnuts, but I do have popcorn. Plenty. :drama: I'm hoping that there will be other members of this group. We can't be the only ones.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Hi Pixna! My name is rags and I am a hair-toy addict. It all began innocently enough when I read a thread about 60th street forks. One fork never hurt anyone, right? But then I began ordering two or three at a time, and then I discovered Ketylos, and......it was all downhill from there!

I am currently managing my addiction fairly well, and only buying things which truly speak to me. Unfortunately, that would include most handmade, artisan wood sticks and forks. I too prefer exotic woods (not a huge dymondwood fan, though I have some peices in it) with gorgeous grains.
    I have made peace with my inner hair toy hoarder, and now just enjoy my beautiful toys! (well, and buy new ones! )
    Last edited by rags; May 10th, 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Type
    1c/M/ii

My name is Peggy and I am a hair toy addict.

As has been said, it all started innocently enough. My road began as did so many - discovering this site, following the recommendations, and noting that as my hair grew and was in better shape I needed (well, maybe "needed" is not quite accurate, but you know what I mean....) more than one metal barrette, a plastic headband and a couple of rubberbands to wear.

The rest, as they say, is the tragic road to wreck and ruin - I can't afford my lifestyle, particularly as the lovely artisan-crafted forks and sticks turned into antique hair combs.

There's a woman who posts the sales at the major auction houses when they feature such items as Lalique hair combs, along with the prices they are expected to fetch (more zeros behind that dollar sign than I paid for my house!). I take my checkbook out and have a good cry, knowing that yet another piece of art I needed, NEEDED - as I need air to breath, water to drink, food to eat - will again go to someone other than myself.

This addiction is the worst. For the longing is constant and the satisfaction never, ever can be met in my lifetime. Though maybe I could sell the house and sit around in the street with a fabulous Lalique comb in my hair?.....

So I satisfy this need by obtaining antique combs not quite as rare - or expensive! - as the Lalique numbers. And for a while these items were going begging, no one seemed to appreciate the artistry or the historic value. For instance, the Vulcan (sometimes referred to as "Gutta Percha") combs from the Civil War used to go for next to nothing, for they weren't super fancy.

Consequently, I was able to purchase an awful lot of combs. But now these items have finally caught the eye of the fashionistas. Drat it all! So they are being purchased by those who do not appreciate their history, care for them properly, treat them with the TLC necessary or they will not survive. What a shame it is to have a lovely comb from the 1850's fine and intact until some girl in 2010 roughly shoves it into a tight bun, hits pins and breaks it.... I weep for the future!

But as far as my addiction goes, I don't have the storage I need for the ones I already own and yet I still search them out. And I do allow myself the pleasure of wearing my beautiful collection whenever I please! And I feed my addiction, checking out the old pics that are found on the internet - those of the 1800's and early 1900's with women who have combs in their hair.

I also find myself watching movies with historical themes - "Dr. Zhivago" with all those combs! "Little Women" at the "Coming Out" party scene! The excitement as I spot some that match those I own!!! The desire that swells up whenever I spot a piece I want and will now have to try and find!

I suffer in silence - for who but you would ever understand? (

Peggy E. (Watching "Dracula: Dead & Loving It!" for the Combs, even as we Speak!)
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm countryhopper, and I became a hairtoy addict about the same time I joined the site (ironic, no? )

I have 7 hairsticks and 4 forks. I started off with all metal hairtoys, but they tend to be more heavy and slide easier. then I bought two custom topped wooden hairsticks. I LOVE them, but since my hair isn't quite long enough to do many buns, they hold mostly peacock twists. My newest two sticks are made of horn. One is cream colored with a gorgeous grey streak running through it, the other is black and is actually a two inch comb on one end and has a beautiful curved handle, so it doubles as a stick and toy!

Oh, and I have one EZ comb. I love how I can lay my head down and it doesn't dig in my head the way claw clips do (although I have a couple of those, too!)

Ok, coffee's done perking! Do you guys want cream or sugar or both? And I hear the oven bell announcing warm cinnamon rolls!

Length
    15 in/38"/55
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I am a hairtoy addict too. In fact I had to buy a little 4 drawer wicker cabinet recently to keep them all in! I had my classic hair cut in 1995 (it is now back to hip) and I am so so so glad I kept all the hairtoys I had then. They have since been added too. Spring clips are my fave, I have a drawerful of them but have since got into claw clips, ficcares, little clips to hold the sides back, fancy pony tail bands etc etc etc.
    Jackie the Hippy Faery

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Mmmm. Warm cinnamon rolls -- thanks Countryhopper! I think I'll have hazelnut soy creamer and sugar in my coffee. Nothing like a good sugar rush while we're discussing our hair-toy addictions! Yum! Who's up next?
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    12/20/30
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Love this thread!
    I'm quite a fresh hairtoy addict-recently started buying more and more hairtoys. It sure is addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafaelle View Post
    Love this thread!
    I'm quite a fresh hairtoy addict-recently started buying more and more hairtoys. It sure is addictive!
    Same thing happened to me too. I started with one hair fork and then I just had to have more.

Length
    bsl/clsc/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

This thread has been surprisingly quiet! Hope everyone had a great holiday

Theobroma, wow, that fork just looks great in your hair! The wave shape hadn't appealed to me at all before seeing this, now I totally want one.

rymorg2, that black cherry fork is awesome, love the colors!

Rafaelle, welcome! You will be in good company here :-) So tell us about your latest purchases!