Page 143 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2843

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

My hair was heavenly this last few days, so today I decided to do another experiment - Before my semi-SMT, I soaked my hair with catnip tea (I usually wet it in the sink), and then applied the conditioner/DC/honey/EVOO goo. I leave it in for an hour at least so I figured adding the catnip might work. Also, last time I successfully used the catnip (see post above) I saturated my dry hair with it, maybe it help the catnip to work better.
    In any case, it can only do good, so I'm good. Results tomorrow

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    30/32/36
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

What an exciting thread! Thanks so much Ktani! I love non-conventional hair products.

1. Do you think catnip rinses on days I do not wash will work? (I wash a few times a week, but sometimes my hair gets wonky on the in between days. Normally on non-shampoo and non-CO days, I usually wet it and just apply VO5)

2. I wonder if the shampoo effects the outcome? Have you tried anything other than Sunsilk?

3. Do you remember how many uses it took for your hair to go from dry to moisturized? 2 or 20? I tried it once, but I had to add VO5 afterwards because it felt dry. I dont want my hair to break while waiting for it to adjust. My hair feels thin and whispy right now but it could be from build up.

Thanks again Ktani. I really appriciate your numerous thoughtful replies!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by fluffer View Post
    What an exciting thread! Thanks so much Ktani! I love non-conventional hair products.

1. Do you think catnip rinses on days I do not wash will work? (I wash a few times a week, but sometimes my hair gets wonky on the in between days. Normally on non-shampoo and non-CO days, I usually wet it and just apply VO5)

2. I wonder if the shampoo effects the outcome? Have you tried anything other than Sunsilk?

3. Do you remember how many uses it took for your hair to go from dry to moisturized? 2 or 20? I tried it once, but I had to add VO5 afterwards because it felt dry. I dont want my hair to break while waiting for it to adjust. My hair feels thin and whispy right now but it could be from build up.

Thanks again Ktani. I really appriciate your numerous thoughtful replies!
    You are most welcome!

Not over conditioner but it depends on what you want and expect the catnip to do. Extra conditioning? Yes. Help with split ends and maximim catnip conditioning? No, IMO. From my catnip shampoo experiments, catnip does not do as well over itself, compared to over freshly shampooed hair.

It absolutely does. Yes, I have used other shampoos. Some stripped out more catnip colour. The others I tried did not build-up (I read labels carefully to avoid that). I want a shampoo that plays nicely with catnip, does not strip colour or irritate my sensitive scalp. The Sunsilk Lively Blonde shampoo is the best for all of that for me.

My example is not the best one for that kind of count. I had build-up at the beginning that I just let wash out vs clarifying. Rymorg2 did 2 or 3 catnip only conditioning treatments in a row at the beginning for her and saw progressively better results. It is an individual thing. I would definitely clarify if you want to save time. Just use less conditioner during your transition. It will be easier to remove.
    Last edited by ktani; May 15th, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: punctuation

Growing catnip, the video. Harvest the flower buds before they open.
    Last edited by ktani; May 15th, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Update

No long term effects from my catnip shampoo experiments.

My hair is now as it has been (no knots, no splits) and even better. I have been working on further reducing mechanical breakage (more gentle handling when I am in a rush to do something) and my breakage is even less than before.

Catnip forever! (for me).

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

That's nice to hear, ktani. I also didn't have blasting results from wetting my hair with catnip before applying my semi-SMT treatment, instead of tap water. But I didn't expect much. At least it worked for me once, and that's something!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I decided that since my swim cap lets the chlorine in whether I like it or not, that I'll soak my hair with catnip tea, and for the time being in the pool it will condition my hair under the cap. So at least a little good comes out of this hair-bad time being.
    I have to say that I realized that my hair is exceptionally glossy today! Like henna glossy, but I hennaed quite a while ago, so i have only the catnip to blame. My catnip does not contain bud unfortunately. I ordered "whole ground plant" in hopes that it will include flower buds (as opposed to catnip ground leaves), but no buds. Nevertheless, seems like I finally see some result from the catnip. I only hope that the breakage and the splits will stop appearing as well.
    Two things though - I applied the catnip over previously oiled hair (coconut oil). Not oiled right before the soak, but the same day. Also, my ends don't seem as glossy as my length. Maybe I miscalculated and I still have dye damage left, but my length is in perfect condition and my ends a a bit rougher/drier/velcro, but again, less than usual. Yey for catnip
    The coconut oil would have soaked into the hair for the most part (it does not sound as if it was a heavy oiling) and most importantly, your swim cap kept the body heat in so that the catnip could be absorbed into the hair as much as possible. All good.

Try the catnip next time on unoiled hair that is not going to get chlorine from swimming, clean hair preferably, that is shampooed with something mild that will not leave a coating. You are on the right track (have the right idea). It can be difficult to guage how much catnip gets or is needed on the ends (too much on my ends make them separate more because my hair is mostly fine).
    Last edited by ktani; May 16th, 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    The coconut oil would have soaked in in for the most part (it does not sound as if it was a heavy oiling) and most importantly, your swim cap kept the body heat in so that the catnip could be absorbed into the hair as much as possible. All good.

Try the catnip next time on unoiled hair that is not going to get chlorine from swimming, clean hair preferably, that is shampooed with something mild that will not leave a coating. You are on the right track (have the right idea). It can be difficult to guage how much catnip gets or is needed on the ends (too much on my ends make them separate more because my hair is mostly fine).
    Well, I only soaked my hair with catnip because the alternative is tap water. I thought the setting (soaking, swimcap, and the time) is much like what is used for catnip, and I was right. I doubt it was warm enough though, as the swim pool rather cold, and the swimcap is in constant contact with the water (not to mention it leaked a little). I got the long hair swimcap, I'm going to test if it really works very soon. If it does, I'll reserve the swimming time for possible deep conditioning/catnip treatments. I'm reluctant to wash my hair more than necessary, I try to cut down on washes. The swimming made it impossible but now I might be able to go back to weekly washes.
    I know I don't allow perfect conditions for the catnip, I have to have my hair oiled everyday, especially the ends (which I suspect are still damaged from years ago!). And I also cut out everything cleansing from my routine - shampoos, shampoo bar or soapnuts. I clarify with mild shampoo once a month before hennaing, but other than that it's WO on the scalp and semi-SMTs/CO on the length. I'm aware of the fact that it's not ideal, but the catnip worked, so it's alright with me and I take it into consideration.
    I also thought of trying to soak the catnip for an hour before I apply the semi-SMT, it might work better. In addition, I also do a little experiment - I soaked some catnip in ACV for couple of weeks, I'll try it as ACV rinse, maybe the infusion will be good, maybe it won't make a difference.
    Last edited by Heidi_234; May 16th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Well, I only soaked my hair with catnip because the alternative is tap water. I thought the setting (soaking, swimcap, and the time) is much like what is used for catnip, and I was right. I doubt it was warm enough though, as the swim pool rather cold, and the swimcap is in constant contact with the water (not to mention it leaked a little). I got the long hair swimcap, I'm going to test if it really works very soon. If it does, I'll reserve the swimming time for possible deep conditioning/catnip treatments. I'm reluctant to wash my hair more than necessary, I try to cut down on washes. The swimming made it impossible but now I might be able to go back to weekly washes.
    I know I don't allow perfect conditions for the catnip, I have to have my hair oiled everyday, especially the ends (which I suspect are still damaged from years ago!). And I also cut out everything cleansing from my routine - shampoos, shampoo bar or soapnuts. I clarify with mild shampoo once a month before hennaing, but other than that it's WO on the scalp and semi-SMTs/CO on the length. I'm aware of the fact that it's not ideal, but the catnip worked, so it's alright with me and I take it into consideration.
    I also thought of trying to soak the catnip for an hour before I apply the semi-SMT, it might work better. In addition, I also do a little experiment - I soaked some catnip in ACV for couple of weeks, I'll try it as ACV rinse, maybe the infusion will be good, maybe it won't make a difference.
    I understand your choices and the reasons behind them. Good luck with your experiments.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Just jumping in, but catnip essential oil anyone used it in their hair oil infusions or with their herbal hair care? Like a rinse or something? I know no essential oils can be used directly but what if in your oils or in your spray or into the henna or herb mix? Something like that?

Anyone ever seen this page(it has some catnip stuff on it):

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...8088/hair.html