Page 24 of 285 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Length
    ?/BSL+3/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Ok, so I went catnip crazy at Petco tonight! I got the Petco brand Catnip for Cats, 2.5 oz. [70.9 g] for $5.99 USD (must be sold by weight because the container is quite large yet very light), and VIP brand Fresh Premium Catnip Leaves and Blossoms, 3/4 oz. [21 g.] for $2.49 USD. They look exactly the same (so both must contain leaves and blossoms, but I noticed some stems as well) and they smell the same, too, so next time, I will go with the Petco container because it is a better value.

I will try this on my hair tomorrow night. Can't wait!

Oh and I know I said in a previous post that my cats are immune to catnip because they ignore all the catnip toys I've ever gotten them ... well, I WAS WRONG! They practially tore the bag apart to get to the catnip I brought home! I hope they leave my hair alone!

Length
    shldr/tb/tb
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidGirl View Post
    Oh and I know I said in a previous post that my cats are immune to catnip because they ignore all the catnip toys I've ever gotten them ... well, I WAS WRONG! They practially tore the bag apart to get to the catnip I brought home! I hope they leave my hair alone!
    My cat Sebastian was the same way. He never really reacted to catnip, then I bring some home and he dove in the bag to get it! I thought I had a critter inside it or something, but I brought out the catnip tub and it had bitemarks in it.
    Now I grow catnip and once a week he gets a leef or two as a treat.
    ~WillowMoon~
    Visit My Blog

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

If I missed the answer, sorry but I don't know how long to rinse my hair after letting the catnip sit. I've been letting the catnip tea sit on my length for 5-15 min then I rinse with plain water. Should I rinse for a while (like rinsing out conditioner) or just rinse it quickly? If my ends are really dry should I rinse at all or let the tea dry in my hair? Thanks

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    If I missed the answer, sorry but I don't know how long to rinse my hair after letting the catnip sit. I've been letting the catnip tea sit on my length for 5-15 min then I rinse with plain water. Should I rinse for a while (like rinsing out conditioner) or just rinse it quickly? If my ends are really dry should I rinse at all or let the tea dry in my hair? Thanks
    catfish

You did not miss the answer.

The question as you stated it never came up.

There is no required time for rinsing out catnip.

From my experience with it, it is better rinsed out.

My hair was very dry when I started using it.

I had build-up.

My hair continued to get better from both the catnip and the build-up washing out.

Then I got the full benefits of the catnip conditioning and the colour I wanted.

I left catnip in a few times, while experimenting.

For me it is better, as I said, rinsed out.

Rinse it out as much as you like but I find a thorough rinse the best.

I do not time it - I just make sure that my hair is what I consider, well rinsed.

Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Ktani- Thanks, that is very helpful catfish

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

catfish

You are welcome.

Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I've used the catnip tea (per Ktani's instructions) a few times and so far I really like the results. My skin is improving really quickly, and my hair feels about the same as when I used conditioner.

The only difference in my method of tea rinsing is that I don't bag my hair up, I just soak my length in the cup of catnip tea, then pour the leftovers over my head. I continue with my bath as usual then rinse well at the end. I found bagging to be a bit cumbersome and my hair feels pretty moisturized even though the tea is sitting on my hair (the same way conditioner does) throughout my bath.

I am using a tiny bit of coconut oil on just my ends, do you think the oil will block the catnip from treating my ends? I don't have any buildup at all and the oil makes my very dry ends a little nicer, maybe one day I wont have to use oil at all, just catnip.

Can I still use a little oil without ruining the catnip effects?
    Thanks, catfish

Length
    28/40/...
    Type
    1a/F/i

I've been using catnip rinse for about a week now, and I can really see the results!

I decided to go all natural, so I whipped up my own shampoo and use the catnip tea as a rinse. With both of them, it doesn't feel like commercial products when I'm showering or when it's wet, but it dries MUCH more quickly, and once it's dry it's mostly tangle free (the tangles that are there are more from the shampoo).

My split ends are almost gone - my S&D sessions only last a couple minutes now, and I snip out split ends I missed before or kinks in my hair. It's no longer a case of cutting my hair one hair at a time! YAY!!

It doesn't seem to cover the gray though. I've only got about 6 gray hairs so far, but they're still gray - no blond or anything. I'm considering trying walnut to put some color back in, but one thing at a time!

The first time I used it I put it in and went to bed, and then kept my hair in a snood the next day because I didn't get a chance to rinse it out. By evening, it was almost dry, and seemed ok, though I probably won't use it as a leave-in. I do have some in my mister though, and mist my hair on the days I'm not washing it.

Excellent idea!! I wonder how someone thought of it originally?
    Lady Nox of the Spiraling Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    LHC: the few....the proud....the vaguely creepy
    my hair photos

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: catnip

Oh wow! I love your detailed writing about the catnip! Will totally have to try that! I am the split end queen!

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Good to know!