Page 1 of 285 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Catnip for split ends?

First, I'm SO GLAD the boards are back. I almost cried when they went down. Yay!

Second, I remembered (and even, in my own journal) that someone said that catnip can help stop spilt ends. Well, my hair has started splitting like crazy (I just got to lower back and am heading towards tailbone- it's completely changing how my ends act).

What, exactly, should I DO with said catnip to make it help my hair? I have been playing with the bag but I don't think that's what needs to happen.

Should I make a vinegar rinse with it? Steep catnip tea? Stew it in alcohol? Run it through as a rinse? Use it as a leave-in spray? Eat it?

I have catnip. I have split ends. I wish to somehow combine the two so the former prevents the latter. Help!

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

ktani, please pick up the white courtesy phone.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default catnip

Raederle

Update: I wrote a catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118 which may make things easier to understand.

Copy that.

Ok - you make an infusion of catnip.

I have a sensitive scalp and my ends were dry so I do not want to make the catnip astringent. My hair is no longer dry.

I use 1 level tsp of cut and sifted catnip to over 250ml under 300ml boiled water.

I make mine in a bone china mug from the dollar store.

Catnip needs to be covered and steeped, never boiled.

I cover my mug with a bone china demitasse saucer. Covering it preserves the volatile oils.

I now buy my catnip - organic - from a pet store - it is fresher bought in see through containers than bulk which I used to buy from a health food store.

Let it steep for 30 minutes - you can steep it longer than that.

Then I deactivate it buy straining it into a 2nd mug to cool down, cover it and let it completely cool. When I uncover to strain, I tap the condensation from the inside of the saucer on my finger back into the mug - I do this each time.

I then strain it into a creamer - easier to pour - and strain a 3rd and final time into a washed out shampoo bottle and store in the fridge until use.

It will keep refridgerated 7-10 days.

I do not use the full amount on my hair each time - I use the remainder on my skin - face and hands.

Ok - method

I am covering grey/white as well as conditioning so I apply on freshly washed hair - hair forward - or upsidedown in the shower.

I apply small amounts - poured into my hand and applied contiuously to the back, sides and top underside plus the length - pin it up and bag it for 1/2 and hour.

I then take it down, and apply catnip to the front sides, top, and top back, leaving the length down and rebag it, leaving the length out of the bag - another 1/2 hour.

I then remove the bag - apply some more to my greyer areas, let it cool down and rinse.

Catnip does not build-up if it is washed, I find. I use shampoo - it removes enough that the only thing I use to condition is the catnip.

I have less breakage than ever before with this herb and method and I have no split ends - which I did used to get.
    Last edited by ktani; March 21st, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: update

MadPirateBippy

If you are not using catnip to colour - it yields a light yellow dye - not red/yellow, not brown/yellow - light yellow, apply to your hair all at once - I have never used the pouring it over the hair 15 times and catching it in a bowl method.

Applying it a little at a time more than once to saturate the hair thoroughly works for me with no mess or waste.

If you want to condition after - use a smaller amount of conditioner than normal - you will find that you need less.

Catnip will not stain over conditioner - it blocks the colour.
    Last edited by ktani; March 10th, 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added text

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Spiffy!

My hair is a dark brown/red, so I am not worried about the light yellow staining it. I figured the blond won't stick around, and I only have three or four silver hairs, so I'm not worried about those either.

Should I be?

Default catnip

MadPirateBippy

No worries - catnip dye is not permanent - I reapply it every time I wash my hair - the colour does not completely wash out each time by any means but it would wash out eventually.
    Last edited by ktani; March 13th, 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

This topic facinates me as I have loads of splits for not apparent reasons ( My hair is moisturized, virgin and I keep it in updos most of the time)

Do you think it would be effective if I kept a strong solution in a spray bottle and misted my hair with it on a daily basis?

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Default catnip

Stagecoach

I initially tried catnip all sorts of ways including misting it on and using it as a leave-in on my ends.

It can be slightly sticky not rinsed out and I did not find it helpful at all sprayed on the hair.

The key I believe is body heat - bagging it and definitely the timing - an hour all together, although iris used it for less time - I think 15 minutes or so and found that to be conditioning enough for her purposes.

It depends on your hair and what you need and want it to do.

I find I need the extra time for the colour although I may experiment with less time now that my hair is in so much better condition than before I started using catnip over 2 years ago.
    Last edited by ktani; March 11th, 2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Ok, thank you ktani!

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Default Catnip

I continue to experiment with catnip - not for conditioning but to intensify the colour.

I have discovered this.

Catnip from the pet store is fresher. You can still get organic.
    It is more expensive than bulk but it is better quality, IMO.

It is sold in closed containers and usually has a higher turnover than bulk.

For more intense colour - steep the catnip longer than 30 minutes - the last batch I did - I steeped it for almost an hour.
    The colour is a darker yellow (not gold or brown or reddish) and is still a light yellow on the hair - I just get better grey/white coverage.