Page 53 of 285 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrue View Post
    I just wanted to add that I am thrilled with the results of the catnip tea treatment! I did it 2X so far, after shampooing, no conditioner, and it made my hair unbelievably soft and silky and the damaged parts are behaving themselves. I then did a cassia treatment this weekend using catnip tea instead of hot water to mix. I am so happy with the results - my hair usually only looks this shiny with tons of cones, and then it still is never this soft or full. So far, I'm thrilled!
    I am so glad that you love it. It has done wonders for my scalp, skin and hair and hair colour.

Length
    bsl/waist/T/B
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Ktani, could I just reiterate, you do rinse it off dont you? Also will the 30 ml be enough for waist length hair or will it need doubling etc? Mind you its actually just the top layer of my hair thats ruined because it was that which was bleached.

Hubby will just do as he's told LOL. But I want to use it on my hair too

Hehehehe here's something funny though. Hubby just came in and I told him what I was asking you and he said "Oh I thought you were going to force me to drink the stuff"

ETA
    I also have very hard water, would the dilution be different for this ?

Sorry to seem so stupid , but I'm not used to putting anything but the normal shampoo and conditioner on my hair
    Last edited by Comfrey; November 24th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    Ktani, could I just reiterate, you do rinse it off dont you? Also will the 30 ml be enough for waist length hair or will it need doubling etc? Mind you its actually just the top layer of my hair thats ruined because it was that which was bleached.

Hubby will just do as he's told LOL. But I want to use it on my hair too

Hehehehe here's something funny though. Hubby just came in and I told him what I was asking you and he said "Oh I thought you were going to force me to drink the stuff"

ETA
    I also have very hard water, would the dilution be different for this ?

Sorry to seem so stupid , but I'm not used to putting anything but the normal shampoo and conditioner on my hair
    First, to me, no question is stupid.

You can double the recipe if you need to, just use the same dilution. It depends both on the length and thickness of your hair as to how much you need.

I have hard water, so that is not a problem but tap water varies in pH. Still, no one has reported water being a problem.

And yes, I always and only rinse it out.

Your DH sounds sweet, lol.

Length
    bsl/waist/T/B
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Thank you so much for your help Ktani. I have bought the catnip and I cant wait to try it. I'm really hoping it will help.

Oh and hubby? He's the best, even if he is a bit daft. I'm very lucky
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    Thank you so much for your help Ktani. I have bought the catnip and I cant wait to try it. I'm really hoping it will help.

Oh and hubby? He's the best, even if he is a bit daft. I'm very lucky
    You are most welcome and good luck!

I am bit daft too, lol. It is good that you appreciate your DH, daftness and all, lol.

A note on catnip dilutions. I know what dilution is best for me. However, because I eye the "just under 300 ml" amount of water and a level tsp can vary (it needs to be packed down), there can be differences in recipe results.

No worries. Just figure out what you did and did not do and change it next time. Make a dilution yours.

Do not judge one catnip use as the standard for success with it.

From my experience, catnip works beautifully, both on skin and hair but there are variables as with all things used on hair, like what is on your hair now, in terms of possible residue.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I am still trying to figure my whole catnip routine out. I can tell that my hair feels different (better!), like it's stronger and more resilient. That might sound like wishful thinking or mind over matter, since that was one of Ktani's positive outcomes. But I can tell my hair feels more hairlike, and less woolly-sheep like. Since growing my hair out this time around (in my 40s as opposed to my 20s) I have achieved 'soft' hair through less washing and gentler products, but I have yet to get my hair to feel like hair, like it did in my 20s when it was long. I think the catnip might help me get there, if I stick with it.

Unfortunately somewhere along the line, with the change in hairwashing routine, I am having a terrible time with tangles, and after I wash (without conditioner on the ends first) my hair becomes a cotton-candy like jumbled mess. I have tried more shampoo, less shampoo. Then I put the catnip on and put it up under a shower cap - as a cotton candy jumbled mess. There it stays for about an hour, until I rinse it off with cold water in the sink, and then put my conditioner on and rinse it back out again, in the sink. All the time it's like crumpled up spiderwebs.

All this is giving me huge tangles and it breaks my heart to try to get a comb through it, but I have to otherwise I'm afraid it'd be way worse once dried. I have tried leaving some of my conditioner in and spraying an oil mix on it afterwards, but that didn't help. I also have this monstrously greasy scalp issue too, so I can't just dump all kinds of oil onto my hair.

It's odd because for all the tangling mess, my hair feels stronger once it's dried!

I might have to go back to just c-w-c and live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    I am still trying to figure my whole catnip routine out. I can tell that my hair feels different (better!), like it's stronger and more resilient. That might sound like wishful thinking or mind over matter, since that was one of Ktani's positive outcomes. But I can tell my hair feels more hairlike, and less woolly-sheep like. Since growing my hair out this time around (in my 40s as opposed to my 20s) I have achieved 'soft' hair through less washing and gentler products, but I have yet to get my hair to feel like hair, like it did in my 20s when it was long. I think the catnip might help me get there, if I stick with it.

Unfortunately somewhere along the line, with the change in hairwashing routine, I am having a terrible time with tangles, and after I wash (without conditioner on the ends first) my hair becomes a cotton-candy like jumbled mess. I have tried more shampoo, less shampoo. Then I put the catnip on and put it up under a shower cap - as a cotton candy jumbled mess. There it stays for about an hour, until I rinse it off with cold water in the sink, and then put my conditioner on and rinse it back out again, in the sink. All the time it's like crumpled up spiderwebs.

All this is giving me huge tangles and it breaks my heart to try to get a comb through it, but I have to otherwise I'm afraid it'd be way worse once dried. I have tried leaving some of my conditioner in and spraying an oil mix on it afterwards, but that didn't help. I also have this monstrously greasy scalp issue too, so I can't just dump all kinds of oil onto my hair.

It's odd because for all the tangling mess, my hair feels stronger once it's dried!

I might have to go back to just c-w-c and live with that.
    My hair is stronger and more resiliant and does feel more like hair, so that sounds about right, to me.

I do not think that it is a more or less shampoo issue.

I lather only once, wash my scalp and squeeze the lather through my length.

It may be your shampoo itself, or since you have been adding it to the mix, the conditioner.

Try s&c a few times with progressively less conditioner, then try catnip again as the conditioner, with maybe adjusting the dilution.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I am thinking that if you comb your hair before getting into the shower, dilute some shampoo and only put it on your scalp, do not manipulate the rest of your hair much - do not pile hair on top of your hair and scrub, etc. then pour catnip rinse over head, braid wet hair and put it in shower cap for 1 hour, then get back in shower and let down braid, rinse with braid in, then unbraid and rinse some more, always leaving hair straight down, it shouldn't get super tangled - at least that's how I had to wash my hair when I had long extensions in to prevent tangling.

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem