Page 4 of 285 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Catnip

One more point.

Pet suppliers specialize their catnip - you can buy leaves only, buds only, (the ariel parts with flowers), and cut and sifted leaves and flowers which I buy.

Cut and sifted leaves and flowers are usally cheaper and that is what I use and have used from the beginning - no need to spend extra money on the specialized, more expensive goods.

The flowers as I have said, contain more oils than the leaves.

Default catnip

I spoke with a catnip wholesaler a while back - a catnip farmer.

He turned out to be a chemist as well.

The catnip leaves contain the yellow dye itself, which is actually a tannin. Tannins are astringent.

The flowers, he confirmed, do contain more of the oils.

From icydove's report on using leaves only being drying, although she used about 6 times more than I use in a batch, I will still go with leaves and flowers mixed - I want colour and conditioning. The tannin leaf content, unbalanced by the leaves not being mixed with flowers, may account in some part for the dryness.

Catnip stems - useless, although there are 2 kinds - the ones from the leaves - small and fine and the larger ones - which should not be too plentiful IMO, in a mix.
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added text

Default Catnip

What you prepare the catnip in.

I wanted to figure out the best, most herb friendly method.

From everything I have read on herbs, they should never be prepared in metal - stainless steel being the exception.

But stainless steel can react with acids. Catnip is acidic - pH approximately 6.

So, while I use a stainless tea strainer, I prepare my catnip in porcelin - bone china to be exact.

Bone china was a fluke - a dollar store find - but it turns out to be a bonus - bone china retains heat better than other porcelin and is lighter in weight - more convenient and easier for me to use.

Default Catnip

For people in countries where pet stores do not sell loose catnip (in plastic containers or bags - same thing IMO) or the catnip you want, pet store catnip can still translate. I have seen catnip sold in tins (I am not sure how that would affect dried catnip) - not for me and it was priced outrageously.

Order online from a large pet store chain that ships internationally or a pet store supplier that ships to individuals.
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarification

Default catnip

I probably did not mention this.

When I make the catnip it is usually in advance - not more than a day or so but it does keep refridgerated up to 10 days.

Before I use it - I let it warm up to room temperature - I do not add heat.

The logic - that when I apply it for colour - I do not want the coldness to close the cuticle down even more than the acidity of it and not allow the colour to stain as much as possible.

Default Catnip

One thing I have always done with a herb rinse, including catnip is shake it before applying it - catnip does not separate to my knowledge but shaking it is a habit for me.

I think my logic way back pre-catnip was to make sure that the oils are distributed evenly - in any case it cannot hurt to do it.
    Last edited by ktani; March 27th, 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

ok, so my local two pet stores did not carry fresh catnip, only dry stuff. I know we have a couple catnip plants on the property, but they are not growing yet.

So, I picked up some dried stuff.. but it claims to be very good quality, so we'll see how it goes. I'm gonna try and use it every wash for the next few months and see if it lowers my splits... I know I"ll notice within a couple months if it's cutting it for me.

I think what I'll do is braid my hair, and soak my braid in the catnip tea, the bun it and put a plastic cap over my bun, and leave that for about 1/2 hour.

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Oh and I wanted to add, thank you Ktani for your detailed directions! They're a big help.

Default Catnip

Stagecoach

You are welcome.

I use dried catnip - cut and sifted leaves and flowers.

I have never seen it fresh anywhere I have bought it.

Sorry I left that out and you were confused by the ommission.
    Last edited by ktani; March 28th, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added text

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Oh ok, my misunderstanding! Well, I'm glad to know I've got the right stuff! I've checked it, and it has the flowers with it too! I can hardly wait for wash day to come around so I can give this a shot!

So you think if I made a very strong tea and mixed it with my conditioner that might do the same?