Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by islandboo View Post
    So your cat is enabling you?
    Haha yes! Not as much as you guys do though...

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Earlier in the year I bought two packets of catnip seeds, determined to grow my own supply for my hair.

A few days ago I harvested my first catnip and made an infusion from a mixture of buds, leaves and a little stalk - OMG it was much more moisturising on my hair than the Haagen dried catnip I usually use!

I'm now determined to make the most of the catnip flowering season and am deeply regretting that I didn't buy more seeds.........

Length
    Bob/Apl/Class
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Did you grow them in a greenhouse or outdoors? Once harvested do you dry them,then sore?(Sorry for all the questions..lol). I was thinking of buying some catnip seeds from ebay.

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

I got some seeds from an eBay seller (sfr909tvcat) and planted them a few weeks ago. For a long time there was nothing but now they are coming up - hooray! The biggest challenge won't be germination, though - it will be protecting them from the neighborhood cats. (He also included a baggie of dried catnip. I won't use it on my hair because there are stems, but my cats are going NUTS for it, even the ones that usually are indifferent to catnip)

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

Oh, and I am growing them in pots on my patio. I plan to harvest the same way I do my catmint - cut in the morning and then either hang the stems to dry (for leaves) or leave the flower buds loose in a wicker basket and let them airdry for a few weeks, then store in a zip-top baggie.

I went with pots because as a member of the mint family, I was afraid catnip would be pretty invasive.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

(He also included a baggie of dried catnip. I won't use it on my hair because there are stems, but my cats are going NUTS for it, even the ones that usually are indifferent to catnip)
    Stems are fine. Just do not use the big thick ones. I remove the very few that come in the Hagen catnip. The smaller, thinner stalks are no problem at all.

In my experience, a mix of leaves and buds (and thin stalks) works perfectly for my hair.

I have used just dried catnip leaves in the past (from health food store dried catnip that contained almost no buds contrary to what was on the label). I found them to be more astringent and results were not as satisfactory.
    Last edited by ktani; June 19th, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Buds only did not work well for my hair either. I tried that last year.

I find a mix much more conditioning.

ETA: I have been using catnip as my only conditioner for over 6 years straight (with minor temporary diversions early on only).
    Last edited by ktani; June 19th, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    chin/-APL/waist

I will have to grow some catnip and try this!!! I used to always keep catnip plants for tea but never tried in my hair. It reduces fever in babies and helps with colic also. Great remedy for a hangover too LoL!!!!!!! If my hair likes it, it will be a cure all at my house!!

Length
    Bob/Apl/Class
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I got some seeds from an eBay seller (sfr909tvcat) and planted them a few weeks ago. For a long time there was nothing but now they are coming up - hooray! The biggest challenge won't be germination, though - it will be protecting them from the neighborhood cats. (He also included a baggie of dried catnip. I won't use it on my hair because there are stems, but my cats are going NUTS for it, even the ones that usually are indifferent to catnip)
    I will definately look into buying some catnip seeds! I dont have any cats in my area to worry about and i will grow them in pots as i dont want it taking over my garden. I learned my lesson with mint! lol.

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Buds only did not work well for my hair either. I tried that last year.

I find a mix much more conditioning.

ETA: I have been using catnip as my only conditioner for over 6 years straight (with minor temporary diversions early on only).
    Thanks for sharing that ktani. I tried a regular catnip (buds and leaves) blend at first but personally I found the all-buds to work better for my hair. However, it is a different supplier than the blend I used so it may be more due to the source than the part of the plant. I will try a blend again when my own plants get big enough to harvest (I have lots of buds left to use up and since my hair is so happy with them I am willing to wait to do more experimenting)