Page 101 of 285 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2843

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Length
    chin/shldr/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Well, I read this entire thread! Throughout most of it I figured that using catnip would be OK during my pregnancy since the contraindications seem to be about taking it internally, but now I'm not so sure. I'm five and a half months along and really don't want to do anything too risky!

My plan was to use it initially as a conditioner, first after baking soda and vinegar washes. I also planned to use it in conjunction with soapnuts as an experiment, although this thread does seem to point to the two not playing nicely together. Then I wanted to try transitioning to using it as a CO for cleansing. Oh, well. Perhaps I'll have to put it off for another four months or so and concentrate on soapnuts and oils for now.
    2a/m/ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

eh, it's only 4 months.

Personally, any contraindication would mean that if I were expecting I'd not use it. But that's just me.

Luckily my kids are almost 12 and 9 so it wouldn't affect them now LOL....since they aren't in utero.

Quote Originally Posted by GlebeGirl View Post
    Well, I read this entire thread! Throughout most of it I figured that using catnip would be OK during my pregnancy since the contraindications seem to be about taking it internally, but now I'm not so sure. I'm five and a half months along and really don't want to do anything too risky!

My plan was to use it initially as a conditioner, first after baking soda and vinegar washes. I also planned to use it in conjunction with soapnuts as an experiment, although this thread does seem to point to the two not playing nicely together. Then I wanted to try transitioning to using it as a CO for cleansing. Oh, well. Perhaps I'll have to put it off for another four months or so and concentrate on soapnuts and oils for now.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Soapnuts have abortafacient properties as well and someone here who was 6 months pregnnt at the time, had problems, when using them, not long ago.

Right now, I think that you should avoid both soapnuts and catnip untill after the baby is born and post breastfeeding.

Length
    chin/shldr/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Soapnuts have abortafacient properties as well and someone here who was 6 months pregnnt at the time, had problems, when using them, not long ago.

Right now, I think that you should avoid both soapnuts and catnip untill after the baby is born and post breastfeeding.
    ktani, you are an angel of information! Thank you so much! I was going to re-read the soapnut thread anyhow since I'm a big believer in doing all my research, but you were really on the ball in getting this to me.

I'll continue on for now with my current routine, which is baking soda, ACV and shea. I won't be breastfeeding so at least I'll be able to jump into experimenting with fun natural cleansers and conditioners after I get some post-labour energy back.
    2a/m/ii

ktani, you are an angel of information! Thank you so much! I was going to re-read the soapnut thread anyhow since I'm a big believer in doing all my research, but you were really on the ball in getting this to me.

I'll continue on for now with my current routine, which is baking soda, ACV and shea. I won't be breastfeeding so at least I'll be able to jump into experimenting with fun natural cleansers and conditioners after I get some post-labour energy back.
    My pleasure.

Update

I have continued with catnip "shampoos", straight catnip, applied as a 2nd shampoo, following less of my regular shampoo, and rinsed out, without timing, before appling more catnip to colour/condition my hair.

My hair does not get oily faster and is as clean and soft, as if I had used more of my regular shampoo instead, but my hair feels better. It is even more moisturized.

Yet another use for catnip. My lips were feeling dry. I washed my face with catnip and felt better, then applied catnip to my lips and left it on. Much better!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I tried catnip again today. Pretty much followed ktani's method: diluted shampoo, quick catnip rinse, bagged catnip for 1 hour, final water rinse. No leave-ins or oils afterward.

This experiment appears to have given me better results than the first one I tried. My scalp is not dry as I type this, nor greasy. I guess just right! My hair seems moist enough. There's some body (not crazy body), but not much frizz, and it's fairly easy to manage. I really appreciate the lightness of my hair - conditioner, no matter how much of it I wash out, seems to weigh down my hair. I wouldn't say I have tons of shine.

I'll reassess tomorrow. Will my hair be flat? Dry? Hard to comb?

I want to take this opportunity once again to thank ktani for paving the way and devoting so much of her time to helping others adapt to catnip rinses.

I learn so much from this web site. Something else I'm following is soapnut shampoo; I'm attracted to its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCitoyenne View Post
    I tried catnip again today. Pretty much followed ktani's method: diluted shampoo, quick catnip rinse, bagged catnip for 1 hour, final water rinse. No leave-ins or oils afterward.

This experiment appears to have given me better results than the first one I tried. My scalp is not dry as I type this, nor greasy. I guess just right! My hair seems moist enough. There's some body (not crazy body), but not much frizz, and it's fairly easy to manage. I really appreciate the lightness of my hair - conditioner, no matter how much of it I wash out, seems to weigh down my hair. I wouldn't say I have tons of shine.

I'll reassess tomorrow. Will my hair be flat? Dry? Hard to comb?

I want to take this opportunity once again to thank ktani for paving the way and devoting so much of her time to helping others adapt to catnip rinses.

I learn so much from this web site. Something else I'm following is soapnut shampoo; I'm attracted to its simplicity.
    You are most welcome. My pleasure! I think that you will find that it gets better as you go along. It did for me and that seems to be the pattern for others.
    Last edited by ktani; February 10th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Yet another use for catnip. My lips were feeling dry. I washed my face with catnip and felt better, then applied catnip to my lips and left it on. Much better!
    Catnip is wonderful I'm glad to hear it is so multi-purposeful for you.

I'm curious I am experimenting with some long term oiling, very heavy oiling left in scalp and length for about 7 days at a time, would it be useless to use catnip tea as a wash ( CO style) after having oil soak in for so long? Would the catnip even penetrate, or do I need to wash all the oil out first to get the benefits from the catnip?

Thanks,
    catfish