Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does apple cider vinegar promote growth?

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Does apple cider vinegar promote growth?

I had great growth for the months of Jan, Feb, and March, then last month it seems I've had a stall. I keep going over what I've done differently, and the only thing signifigantly different, is I switched from AVC rinses to citric acid rinses (I hate the smell of acv!). Does anyone know if ACV promotes growth? Has it helped your hair grow faster?
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Does apple cider vinegar promote growth?

Anyone?........

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Honestly I don't know dear, but I felt bad that you'd not a reply yet. I use only plain white vinegar for my rinses. I did stall there at BSL for about 2 months, but I'm now past and growing strong. Wish I had more for you. Maybe it's just a regular stall? Are you having a spring shed, maybe?

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Currently Northern California, US. Previously, Montana, Southern CA, Wyoming, Canada & Kent, UK
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Perhaps its just a coincidence that your hair has stalled. I use ACV sometimes but certainly not regularly and my hair grows steadily. I did notice less shedding when I was using it more often a few months back.
    It is certainly good for the scalp at any rate! But I don't know if there's a connection between it and growth

Lady Felaróf of the Endless Ride in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    http://mystiqueunique.tumblr.com/

Account Closed by Member Request

It's got nothing to do with the vinegar at all. Hair doesn't grow at a steady, constant pace. That's all. It's not uncommon to see a month with little to no change in length.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

ACV is traditionally believed to help hair growth and combat alopecia. There was also a study done in Japan on a chemical contained in the skins of apples (i cant remember what it's called right now so will have to look it up for you later) that promoted hair growth and now is being formulated as a treatment for alopecia.
    So, my intuition (along with quite a bit of reading) tells me that ACV is likely to help growth. However, as has been pointed out stalls are a natural part of hair growing and your lack of growth could just be part of that cycle. I certainly don't think that if you do not use ACV your hair will cease growing.
    This is one of the reasons i measure very infrequently (well, that and the fact i'm lazy )
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

I agree with ChloeDharma, I have read that apples have an affect on Male Alopecia, not sure about female though. I have an apple a day with porridge and my hair has shown some growth. Red apples I think contain better nutrition then green.

Its in the skin of the apple so its important you have those, wether its on the skin or internally. Funnily enough I think Apples are supposed to be a good preventative for other illnesses so the old addage, 'an apple a day keeps the Dr away' really works.

I havent tried apple on my scalp but I will add it to the list!

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I am shedding less than ever, so that is not it. It may be growing but it's so slow that there is no noticeable growth in a little over a month (after 4 or so months of noticeable growth). I take pictures, measuring doesn't seem to work for me, and is depressing because even if I see obvious growth in pictures there doesn't seem to be a change in measurement, though I know it's growing. I guess I'm doing something wrong, lol.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My hair will stall and not grow at all for a month then the next month I'll get an inch. it fluctuates sometimes so I wouldn't worry that you haven't had noticeable growth in just over a month. The same thing may be happening to you. ACV is supposed to be very good for scalp conditions but I really doubt the fact that you stopped using it has caused your hair to stall. Sending hair growing vibes your way.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post
    My hair will stall and not grow at all for a month then the next month I'll get an inch. it fluctuates sometimes so I wouldn't worry that you haven't had noticeable growth in just over a month. The same thing may be happening to you. ACV is supposed to be very good for scalp conditions but I really doubt the fact that you stopped using it has caused your hair to stall. Sending hair growing vibes your way.
    Thanks
    My scalp has been itchy and flaky lately too, that is part of it; I was thinking that maybe the ACV was promoting healthier scalp, thus better growth.