Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henna and my Roots

Length
    13/16/42/51
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Angry Henna and my Roots

I get no color on my roots when I henna. I slather them just as well as any other part of my hair but absolutely nothing! I dont even get anything in the glowing orange stage nor do they glint in the sun. Is there something I can do to get my virgin portion of hair to do henna or am I out of luck?
    I do not post much anymore, however I would love to hear from you guys if you want to chat. Pop me a PM and I can send my email/blog url/facebook if you want.

Length
    16/23/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Henna and my Roots

I have a similar problem. I only get visible colour deposit on my 2nd application and even then it is very weak on the roots and grays. Blends after a few month of colouring but I would love to get it right away! Looking forward to hearing any tips for the roots
    "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." (Paul Valery)

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I've been trying honey treatments on the root areas since I've been having a similar issue. None of my hair was chemically dyed prior to hennaing, but I find it sticks more on the lengths that have just picked up a little weathering, so I thought that if I slightly lightened my roots area with honey treatments it might pick up the color a bit better. I'll be hennaing over it probably on Tuesday night so I'll be able to see if it worked. I hope it does! I wear my henna overnight, and it's annoying if it doesn't seem to do anything!
    So very close to tailbone!

Length
    13/16/42/51
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

It is frustrating. I am just about to give up on henna altogether simply because of that. But thanks for answering guys I guess we will wait for our resident henna experts to come to our aid.
    I do not post much anymore, however I would love to hear from you guys if you want to chat. Pop me a PM and I can send my email/blog url/facebook if you want.

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Angry Re: Henna and my Roots

You know what, this must be the problem with my roots too. I just did a root touch up last week and I see roots already. I have been a little perplexed about it because I did not think my hair grew that fast! I just bought some Yemen henna (I was using Punjabi Prime), I'll do a root touch up at the end of this week and let you know if I get better root coverage with it.

Maybe we can start a running list of what we are using, our method, and length of time we let it sit so we can see what works best.

I've been using BAQ Punjabi Prime mixed with Cassia, Amla, and distilled H20 and leaving in for 2.5-3 hours.

So, what kinds of henna mixes are you using and how long are you leaving it in for?
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I've got a big swath of roots. I was waiting to see if I had any greys, but I didn't find any, and I've been too lazy to touch up.

I wonder, since the roots are new and most likely coated with sebum from being close to the scalp, if a clarifying wash of just scalp hair (however that could be done... ?) would help the henna bind?

Anyone have advice about that? I guess you could condition the length, get some clarifying shampoo at the roots, and then rinse, without "stripping" the length? Maybe...

Length
    short/Butt/There
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I did my roots last week, and it took beautifully.
    I use Yemeni henna with chamomile tea pre-mixed and frozen. When I am ready, I defrost 6 cubes, add some warm water, a splash of honey and a squirt of the Suave coconut conditioner, load it up in a coloring bottle (from my dream blonde days) and put it on. Leave exactly for two hours.
    I am WO so I do not wash*, the sebum does not make a difference.
    Hope this help.

Defrosted henna is very potent.

Edit: * do not water wash or clarify.

Length
    13/16/42/51
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Lets see my mix is

BAQ Jamila
    water
    EO based on preference of smell that day.

My henna is frozen before hand and I mix the EO in before slathering my head

I clarify but dont condition before hennaing I leave it on for 4-6 hour depending on how long I sleep.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I also used defrosted henna and it colored my roots much better than usually. Also leaving it for a longer time helps and to clarify before hennaing.

But yeah, I sometimes too have trouble with henna fading too fast from my roots.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16/23/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Nowadays, I use Lush Caca Rouge, so naturally I don't have high expectations of vibrant colour. In 4 hours I get beautiful colour on the length and minimal colour on the roots. I do remember having the same issue with fresh BAQ years ago. My roots are always a different animal.

I've read people use baking soda rinse from scalp to tips to remove any residue and get a better colour that way. I would like to try rinsing just the root area with baking soda and see if that helps henna uptake. Since I've never done an application on wet hair, this might be tricky for my fine hair.

I will be doing an application soon, I will be leaving it for 6-8 hours instead. I am hoping double the time, would give the equivalent of two applications back to back.
    "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." (Paul Valery)