Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do women cut their hair off?

Default Why do women cut their hair off?

Curlsgirl got me thinking in her post about depression and hair cutting. And it made me curious about the reasons why women cut their hair.

Why do women cut their hair off?

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Well let's see, in my case I've cut it because of depression, low self esteem, convinced that I was too old for long hair, worried about what other people think, I also like short hair and long hair. I'm working through these issues because I really do want long hair.

A new beginning.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've cut because of sticky baby fingers and puke in my hair, falling in love with a shorter style, hating the way my hair looked and thinking anything else would look better, being too hot, and being frustrated because I had been growing it for an ENTIRE TWO YEARS from a pixie and it wasn't hiney-length yet.

Length
    pixie/41''/term?
    Type
    2c/C/iii

I've had (very!) short hair several times.

~ A bob till I turned 9, just because my mum wanted to keep it that way.
    ~ Cut my BSL lenght hair at 11 because my mum doesn't like long hair on me and actually paid me to get it cut After that it stayed fairly short for years.
    ~ Had hair past BSL again at 15, then my dad passed away and I had an appointment with a hairdresser just days before the funeral and just didn't care, and let her cut off several inches, and it just wasn't really any lenght after that anymore, so the following Autumn and Winter I juts had it cut shorter and shorter until it was just few inches long. Haven't cut it since

This is a shorter version, I think I've had hair past my shoulders a couple of times but have ended up cutting it because I've gotten bored with it.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I used to cut when I got close to waist because I thought it looked aweful on me.When I was in my teens most of it was I just wanted a change and that was the most drastic change I could find. Also when I would look at magazines with really beautiful women with short hair I though the cut would make me look beautiful to, or I thought a new style would help me become one of the "cool kids" in school. None never worked though
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I cut because I went to salons and they always hacked off any growth I'd had. As a former bleach addict, my hair never seemed to want to grow long - the ends would get scraggly at about APL, then I'd feel selfconscious and go to the salon, where they would promptly say "let's get rid of those old ends" and cut back to shoulder.

I've wanted long hair for over ten years, but the bleach meant too much damage to get it long, and the salons removed any growth I would have had.

Also, when everyone tells you your hair is too fine/thin to grow, and you can't seem to get it longer, it is hard to have the courage to grow.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Welp, cut for a "punk" hairstyle, got the latest trend to be 'in' or at least close to in (think mullet here and razored). Then, because it was a chore with damage not realizing my treatment of them tresses was abysmal with color and so fourth. chop chop.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

To look like Winona Ryder, only I just looked like me with short hair. Seriously, though, I LOVED the way my pixie cut felt. It was so light and free and I felt chic and cute. Unfortunately, despite it's reputation, a pixie cut is VERY high maintenance, and I was getting trims every 4 weeks. I've been growing it out for a while now, and only just recently learned that my DH likes very long hair (e.g. tailbone or beyond). Six years together and I never knew! (And we accuse men of being clueless!) Some day I'll go back to pixie-ville--maybe when I finally decide to grow out my grey hair--not any time soon though.

Account Closed by Member Request

I kept chopping my hair because I didnt know what to "do" with it except ponytail it.

Once I was depressed, mad, and drunk and whacked my hair halfway off, ugh, i was so disgusted when the hangover was finished!!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think some whack it off because they're unhappy about a situation and feel like changing their appearance to something new and fresh will improve their outlook. Others seem to cut their hair after they've changed a situation they're unhappy about (often dumping the good-for-nothing boyfriend), as though they're symbolically purging themselves of that period in their lives.

Lots of people who cut for reasons like this seem to regret it, though I'm sure there are plenty of folks who don't, too. I also suspect that it's for people who cut for these reasons that other women rave about how much they love the new hairstyle. They figure the cut-ee needs all the encouragement they can get at this stage.

Why have I cut mine?
    Once, because I was sick of getting headaches from trying to cram it all into a swimcap.
    Once, for LoL (*gasp*) because the girl who sat next to me in stats decided to organize a donation day and I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it if I didn't donate. (Her hair was longer than mine and somewhat nicer-looking, so I'll blame generosity and not jealousy.)
    Last edited by Anje; May 6th, 2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!