Thread: Back to short hair - and I hate it!

Length
    NL/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Back to short hair - and I hate it!

I had super long hair for many years, and in October 2022 I made an impulse decision and cut my hair to my chin. AND I GOT FRINGE. Now that its been over a year, my hair is approx. collarbone length, and my bangs finally have made it to my chin. I just need words of encouragement I guess lol. I absolutely hate my hair, and every time I look back at pictures of my old hair, my heart drops

Has anyone else gone through this? Is there something you did to encourage yourself, or give yourself some hope during the waiting period? Anything helps
    Last edited by beckybourbon; February 7th, 2024 at 03:18 PM.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Back to short hair - and I hate it!

Probably most of us have gone through this. Maybe it is a rite of passage for Long Hairs? You are at a tough spot right now because it's too short to put up and as it grows it will look shaggy and unstyled, but if you trim you'll cut off the growth and it will take even longer to grow out. See if you can put it back with bobbypins, or pretty clips. Put away the scissors and cancel the salon trims. It's tough, but the only way out is to go through this awkward growth phase. (IMHO) Good luck. At least you know you *can* grow long hair - many folks have never had anything below shoulder and are sure their hair is always going to be short.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

The last time I had short hair, I was growing it back from losing it to chemo, so that wasn't my fault (blame the chemo), but the last time I did it on an impulse was years ago (which I'm never doing again! Screw the "age appropriate" hairstyles! I like it long, so it stays long, no matter how old I get) and the best thing to do is just get your mind off of it (and find ways to politely respond to the "Oh, you look so cute with short hair!" comments, because those can get annoying). Luckily, I have many different fandoms (movies, mostly, but there are a few TV shows in the mix as well) and I'm what you would call a "gamer girl" even though I'm hardly a "girl" anymore being over 50.

When I was growing it back from losing it to chemo, I didn't get a trim for three years (which is how long it took to grow it back to my former length), since if I have a specific goal in mind, I don't get a trim until I've reached that goal.

Even when I lost my grandmother a few years ago (she nearly made it to her 97th birthday but died a month and five days before), I didn't take it out on my hair and went on Etsy to find a memorial I could add a picture to that I could give to all of the grandkids (I'm the oldest). The only thing I messed up was the date, since I thought she died on Sunday, but it was actually on a Monday (I found this out when I looked on Mom's calendar, since I don't mark up my calendars like she does. If I forget an appointment, that's just too bad).
    No friend requests, please. I won't accept them
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Length
    Buzz/BUZZ/Meh

Quote Originally Posted by beckybourbon View Post
    I had super long hair for many years, and in October 2022 I made an impulse decision and cut my hair to my chin. AND I GOT FRINGE. Now that its been over a year, my hair is approx. collarbone length, and my bangs finally have made it to my chin. I just need words of encouragement I guess lol. I absolutely hate my hair, and every time I look back at pictures of my old hair, my heart drops

Has anyone else gone through this? Is there something you did to encourage yourself, or give yourself some hope during the waiting period? Anything helps
    I do this all the time and regret it every time I've been in a buzz loop ever since I buzzed it off 3 years ago.

Atleast you are out of the awkward stage so that is something to celebrate!
    To keep yourself motivated maybe join no trim challenges, record monthly, bimonthly, trimontly shots so you can see length gain. Or focus on hobbies instead of hair.

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

When I was growing out from my pixie cut in 2008 it helped me to embrace every hair length and find what was fun about whatever stage I was in. I made a few salon visits and figured out new ways to style my hair while it was growing out. I hope you can find joy in the journey. Good luck.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Length
    19/19/37
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

What kept me feeling cute when my hair was a bit of an awkward length was half up hairstyles. I would do the classic half up in 1 pony mainly, but also half ups in two ponies (really cute), buns, braids, etc. When my hair was long enough to touch my shoulders, I then switched to a high pony made using claw clips, my hair was short enough that the ponytail looked really fluffy and spikey, it was sassy and cute. Basically, experiment. You will have a signature style that makes you feel great at every length, and feeling great is the important thing

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Contrary to some, I found regular salon visits essential to feeling good about my hair as it grew out. My stylist was in agreement with my plan to grow my hair from pixie to long, and she kept it looking like a style as I went from short layers to longer layers to long with no layers.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Different situation, but many years ago...I've felt your pain. Hang in there, it WILL grow back. The hair falling into my face or the wind blowing it against it drove me nuts! I survived with tiny clips (I didn't have bangs/fringe). Look at all the fun you can have growing it back though!
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    8'/13'/35'
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I did the same thing! Except...I cut my hair into a bob two years in a row...the first one was a big chop and the second was to cut off bleached ends...
    I miss my long hair and before I cut into a bob it wasn't even as long as I wanted it. I ended up messing up my long hair at the time by trying to put in two big dreads at the top of my head on each side. that was one of the reasons for the first big chop to chin length...but it looked so cute. The second year I did it I felt shorn.
    And I too, am growing out bangs. They are about under neath my chin now. I feel your pain.

I feel your pain. I think it's normal for us to miss our long hair. I cut 16in off and miss my length when I look at old pictures too. I am Definitely feeling better about my hair as it is growing. Hang in there. Once you get to arm pit length, I feel it's easier to manage. You can do short braids or throw it up in a bun. And as someone who also went back and forth with bangs, I know the struggle of growing them out. Headbands and little claw clips are essential for getting those pesky hairs out of the way