Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Question Nationality and Hair Type?

Hi everyone!

I was thinking today about how nationality/genetics may affect our hair texture, rate of growth, etc.

I thought it might be interesting to talk about our nationality/ethnicity and what our hairtypes are, beyond the normal Caucasian/Asian/African American/Canadian/etc.

I'm half Norwegian, a quarter Polish and a quarter Hungarian. I have 1b/1c hair and it's medium, and a mousey dark brown. My hair will hold waves fine but curls usually don't stay for more than an hour or so before they stretch out into waves. My Mom who is half Polish and half Hungarian has very fine hair now that she's almost 60, not very much greys though. My grandmother is 78 and is still only 40% grey. My girl cousins all have BSL length hair that varies from dark blonde to almost black, but no one in my family has overly curly hair except for one of my uncles.

I hope this is PC and doesn't offend anyone (and that I put it in the right section!), I'm not trying to pry, I just think it would be interesting!!

What's your heritage? Your hairtype? Your family's?

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

I'm of Croatian heritage and have noticed lots of Slavic men and women have the same hair type- particularly courser hairs around the hair line and widows' peak, thick and lots of volume. Also, the colour tends to be in the ashy category, be it blonde or brunette.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    I'm of Croatian heritage and have noticed lots of Slavic men and women have the same hair type- particularly courser hairs around the hair line and widows' peak, thick and lots of volume. Also, the colour tends to be in the ashy category, be it blonde or brunette.
    ...I got a little sad now. I'm Croatian and I fit this to an absolute T.
    Mousy brown natural hair, widow's peak, coarse hairline hair, thick and volume. Also many Croatians have relatively similar hair waves, ranging from 1b/c to 2a. (My father, the jet black coarse 3b being the exception)

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Katurday View Post
    Mousy brown natural hair, widow's peak, coarse hairline hair, thick and volume. Also many Croatians have relatively similar hair waves, ranging from 1b/c to 2a. (My father, the jet black coarse 3b being the exception)

Here's the funny thing: I know as many dark, 2c-3b Croats as fair, 1b-2a's. I don't know much about Croatia; are there two distinct ethnic groups in the country, perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by Katurday View Post
    My father has similar hair to your fathers'. My father's hair is incredibly thick and has a tendency to be oily. I don't know mama's hair colour or type- she went gray at 15 and got partially scalped when she was a child and was malnourished- this affected her hair colour and thickness.

I agree about the waves. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the wavier it is. I hide my widows peak with a side parting. The coarsies are a bit of a pain to deal with sometimes, but argan oil does a lovely job on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Here's the funny thing: I know as many dark, 2c-3b Croats as fair, 1b-2a's. I don't know much about Croatia; are there two distinct ethnic groups in the country, perchance?
    That's a good observation. Perhaps it depends where you live? (Coastal/inland?) My parents were from Velemeric.
    Last edited by little_cherry; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's a good observation. Perhaps it depends where you live? (Coastal/inland?) My parents were from Velemeric.
    It'd be interesting to find out...

Like I say, I know very, very little about the country, and I'm only commenting based on people I know who have immigrated to Australia, or the children of such people.

My father has similar hair to your fathers'. My father's hair is incredibly thick and has a tendency to be oily. I don't know mama's hair colour or type- she went gray at 15 and got partially scalped when she was a child and was malnourished- this affected her hair colour and thickness.

I agree about the waves. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the wavier it is. I hide my widows peak with a side parting. The coarsies are a bit of a pain to deal with sometimes, but argan oil does a lovely job on them.

Haha, it has a big difference. I come from coastal croatia, the part that was largely affected by the roman empire. (darker hair, darker skin, curls, coarseness). The more mainland part was affected by Turkey and the Huns, therefore yielding straight, coarse hair. The northern parts are mostly slavic, yeilding characteristic thinner, finer, lighter and straighter hair. I got the color from some northern relatives, the texture from my relatively mainland mom, and my dad is Coastal so he gets the wooly dark hair.

Its surprisingly diverse, and yes there are a lot of us in Aussie. My family nearly moved there, but we chose Canada instead cause we fear giant spiders.

Length
    <BSL/BSL/Waist

I'm from Sweden and I've got fine 1b hair. The color is mousy medium/dark blonde (not really sure since I've been bleaching and dying since I was 13.. trying to get it virgin again now though)

Length
    28/BSL/APL:P
    Type
    1c/M/ii

You know what, when I signed up and tried to figure out all the hairtyping stuff, I really was surprised that it didn't ask about heritage/ethnicity!

I'm a "Caucasian Blend" I guess (drinking coffee atm!) : I'm mostly English, somewhat Danish, some German, some Irish, and chance of a little American Indian (great-grandmother was adopted from a reservation orphanage in TX or OK, she didn't even know more than that).

My hair definitely takes after my dad's English family (his parents were 1st generation Canadians born from British immigrant parents, and they'd been in England forever); dark, dark, straight, heavy brown hair. My mom's side tends to go gray quickly, my uncle was gray in his 20s, but my maternal grandma had long hair for the longest time (I loved it!) and it was always a very very dark salt and pepper mix (mostly pepper, but no longer black).

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

My hair is almost exactly like yours, except I'm f/m (almost more m'sh) and my natural hair is a darker than mousey brown. A grey/brown black?

I'm English-Caucasian/vietnamese/chinese.

My father... I don't know his ancestry but he's just english, white etc. His hair is very fine and very soft, I'm envious of it! I don't know if it waves or not because he's never had it long. He's always told me my hair is fine. o_o;
    My mother is Vietnamese/Chinese. My mother's hair is very straight and black, and coarse.

I think it is a very interesting thread idea!
    My brothers are C and fully Asian, I don't have any other sibling sadly which I can really compare to, wish I could for thread purposes just to see the difference of F and M hair!
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.