Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationality and Hair Type?

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Question Nationality and Hair Type?

Hi everyone!

I was thinking today about how nationality/genetics may affect our hair texture, rate of growth, etc.

I thought it might be interesting to talk about our nationality/ethnicity and what our hairtypes are, beyond the normal Caucasian/Asian/African American/Canadian/etc.

I'm half Norwegian, a quarter Polish and a quarter Hungarian. I have 1b/1c hair and it's medium, and a mousey dark brown. My hair will hold waves fine but curls usually don't stay for more than an hour or so before they stretch out into waves. My Mom who is half Polish and half Hungarian has very fine hair now that she's almost 60, not very much greys though. My grandmother is 78 and is still only 40% grey. My girl cousins all have BSL length hair that varies from dark blonde to almost black, but no one in my family has overly curly hair except for one of my uncles.

I hope this is PC and doesn't offend anyone (and that I put it in the right section!), I'm not trying to pry, I just think it would be interesting!!

What's your heritage? Your hairtype? Your family's?

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

I'm of Croatian heritage and have noticed lots of Slavic men and women have the same hair type- particularly courser hairs around the hair line and widows' peak, thick and lots of volume. Also, the colour tends to be in the ashy category, be it blonde or brunette.

Length
    <BSL/BSL/Waist

I'm from Sweden and I've got fine 1b hair. The color is mousy medium/dark blonde (not really sure since I've been bleaching and dying since I was 13.. trying to get it virgin again now though)

Length
    28/BSL/APL:P
    Type
    1c/M/ii

You know what, when I signed up and tried to figure out all the hairtyping stuff, I really was surprised that it didn't ask about heritage/ethnicity!

I'm a "Caucasian Blend" I guess (drinking coffee atm!) : I'm mostly English, somewhat Danish, some German, some Irish, and chance of a little American Indian (great-grandmother was adopted from a reservation orphanage in TX or OK, she didn't even know more than that).

My hair definitely takes after my dad's English family (his parents were 1st generation Canadians born from British immigrant parents, and they'd been in England forever); dark, dark, straight, heavy brown hair. My mom's side tends to go gray quickly, my uncle was gray in his 20s, but my maternal grandma had long hair for the longest time (I loved it!) and it was always a very very dark salt and pepper mix (mostly pepper, but no longer black).

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

My hair is almost exactly like yours, except I'm f/m (almost more m'sh) and my natural hair is a darker than mousey brown. A grey/brown black?

I'm English-Caucasian/vietnamese/chinese.

My father... I don't know his ancestry but he's just english, white etc. His hair is very fine and very soft, I'm envious of it! I don't know if it waves or not because he's never had it long. He's always told me my hair is fine. o_o;
    My mother is Vietnamese/Chinese. My mother's hair is very straight and black, and coarse.

I think it is a very interesting thread idea!
    My brothers are C and fully Asian, I don't have any other sibling sadly which I can really compare to, wish I could for thread purposes just to see the difference of F and M hair!
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I am a full blooded Chinese American, both my mom and dad were born Chinese citizens. I have the typical textbook Asian hair. Its naturally jet black, almost completely straight (I'm between 1a and 1b when my hair naturally air-dries), very thick, and also its very coarse in texture.
    My hair is super strong, its resistant to any kind of heat damage or bleaching damage as you guys are well aware. I do have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I like that its super strong. However if I had a choice, I'd probably have hair that was naturally much lighter in color, say a copper red or a golden blond. I'd also like for it to be a little bit wavier, maybe in the 2b range perhaps.

Length
    12/25/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I'm British with Norwegian hertigage.

My hair is 2c, M and i/ii. Its quite curly when short but as it gets longer and heavier it becomes wavier with odd ringlets and spirals dotted around my head. My family all have very short curly hair, I think myself and a handful of girl cousins have grown our hair below our chins. We all have the common factor of light brown hair too though we were all blonde until around 7/8 years of age.

My hair on average grows the 0.5" a month, though I have never noticed my familys growth rate since they all have short hair which they keep cutting to remain their length. I think my growth rate has more to do with where I live rather than genetics however my friend has an average growth rate of 0.25" a month! So it may well be my genetics!

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Wow, thanks for the replies, guys!! It's fascinating.

little_cherry, I never knew about Croatians having that distinctive widow's peak and thicker hairline... I'm the opposite, my hairline is fine, baby hairs that come in a lighter color than the rest of my roots.

superficial, from what I've seen (durrr, Canada) Swedish people tend to have such neat silk spun light hair, baby fine. Cotton Candy. Sometimes I wish mine wasn't so freaking heavy but then again, it's only Medium, people have much heavier and coarser hair than I do!

Ivy~Rose, Mmmm Caucasian blend , lol, makes me crave more coffee. Haha. It's neat that you know about the generations of your family- my Grandmother, Mother, and I were all born in Canada but I do know my Grandfather's parents brought him over in the 30s. Interesting stuff!

Sammich! You inspired me. Haha. The bit of caucasian gives you that nice wave! It's crazy to see how your hair turns out, from your heritage. I always wished I had Asian ancestry to have the gorgeous thick poker straight hair but I'm learning to embrace my wierd medium not-quite-straight-mess. Haha.

Thanks you guys!

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

eric, don't we always want what we can't have!? I'm jealous your hair is so resilient, that's crazy!

Kittylost I do feel somewhat gipped I didn't get the beautiful Norweigan texture... my Hungarian gypsy blood overrode it. haha!

Length
    fried/WL35/48-tm
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

I'm actually really glad you started this thread. A girl at work and I were having this discussion (she's Russian, and had the exact same hair I would have if I'd never dyed or hennaed it).

I'm half Polish, half Irish/ Italian (more Irish, but not sure of the exacts). I get my hair from my Polish side. It's usually 1c, M ii, but the wave in it makes it very voluminous with just a bit of humidity. Sometimes if I'm wearing it down, I have to brush it just to make it sit down and not just to get the tangles out (horrible habit, but I'm getting better about wearing it up).

My virgin hair is a light auburn that the sun will bleach with golden highlights. The texture is harder to describe. Each strand is wavy in its own way, so they don't wave together. That causes the poofy-ness. It's very prone to splits and is not very strong in general.

I do love my hair!
    Any time is a good time for coffee time!
    ++++++.++++++.++++++