Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationality and Hair Type?

Length
    BSL/TB+/??
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

Dad's side:
    English, Swiss, Norwegian, German/Prussian.
    Hair: i/ii thickness, fine, straight, medium brown but now turning gray and thinning.

Mom's Side:
    Manx, Danish, French, Scotch-Irish, Native American.
    Hair: ii/iii thick, fine/medium 2b/c dark blonde (platinum as child), with sliver streaks at temples.

Me: I took my dad's thickness (i/ii) and texture (1b/f) but my mom's coloration (dark blonde) and her widow's peak. Will be interesting to see what my hair does as I age, 2 grandparents went completely white comparatively young, one died young in his 40s, and the other kept thick dark hair with only a few streaks at the temples until her late 80s/early 90s, then started to gray more.

My overall family when I go out to aunts/uncles/cousins has a lot of variation, from super straight hair, to curly hair, fine hair to coarse hair, and blonde, brown, black, and red hair scattered through the lot.
    October 2009

Length
    17/32/term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

My heritage... well, Swedish for the most part, but I'm pretty sure my paternal grandmother's parents were German (I know her mother was, and I think her father was born in Sweden but had German parents).

I have fine, straight hair that is some sort of light brown colour. When I was a kid I used to call it "caramel coloured" . I had blonde hair as a toddler, but it darkened to a light ashy brown pretty fast.

My mother have fine, very dark brown hair, probably 1a/1b.
    My father have coarser (maybe M) hair, that is also a very dark brown colour (almost black), and 1b (when it gets long, it gets kind of wavy). When he was young it was fine and curly and had a whitish blonde colour.

Genetics are weird, since none of us kids got our father's brown eyes, and none of us have dark brown hair.
    September 2012. Next mini goal: Hip!

Length
    long/TB/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm entirely Ashkenazi Jew, so far as I know. My hair is almost perfectly straight, fine, and dark brown with slight reddish highlights. Most of my family is pretty similar, though my father hasn't had hair to speak of in a couple of decades, and I haven't seen my mother's natural color in years. My grandfather had pretty curly hair, though, maybe 3a or so, and my aunt (his daughter) is the same. My grandmother in her youth had incredibly thick and long hair. Down to her calves, and her braid was as thick as my wrist. Me, I seem to have hit terminal length just short of tailbone . Why, why could I not have inherited her hair genes??

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Brilliant you guys! It's actually funny how many people inherit one thing from either parent, or end up being a mix, or skip a generation entirely and end up looking like their grandparents!!

I know I'm the tallest girl in my family for years. Got it from my Grandpa, all my other cousins are way shorter than me, even my boy cousins. Crazy.

Thank you so much for your replies, this is too neat!

Length
    Buzz/Hip/Class
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

My heritage is (from greatest to least) Austrian, Russian, German, Irish, Welsh, English, and Bohemian... your typical American mutt right here! I have red hair of average thickness and a widow's peak. The Celtic genes are definitely stronger in me. My mom (Austrian/Irish) has very thick, coarse, dark brown hair and my dad (Russian/German/Welsh/English/Bohemian) has fine red hair, as does his sister.

Length
    apl/apl/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My moms side are 1/2 Finnish(grandpa is from the laplands?) with a mix of english and maybe alittle dutch. They have fine thin hair that tends towards blond and straight.(she has 15 bothers and sisters they mostly have the same hair just different colors)
    My dads side is mostly irish/scottish/english? His side has auburn/red thick and coarse hair with a wave, well I guess when he was young it was a beautiful bright auburn with a nice wave to it but its darkened to dark auburn.
    So I guess that makes me 1/4 finnish with a mix of irish/scottish/english. My hair is a mix of both, I have a fine texture that I get from my mom and thick hair that I get from my dad. My natural color is a dark brown with a lot of red undertones.

Length
    neck/shldr/tb
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

I tell people that I'm "a little bit of this and a little bit of that." I'm African American, Caucasian (Canadian, French, and German), with Native American roots on both sides of my family. So my hair is a bit weird. It's kind of coarse, thick, flatirons really easily (I don't have to go over it a million times) but my curls range from very wavy to very curly and instead of taking on the hair color of my parents (they both have black hair) I have this weird brown colored hair that looks really dark sometimes and really light other times. But as far as growth my hair grows pretty slow. I always thought that it wasn't fair because my mom and my sister have hair that grows really fast, but I don't.
    Last edited by hazelnut; April 19th, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
    One of my curly hair idols!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Let's see...

Father: Dominican (Not Dominican Republic, but Dominica, or Dominique). He's essentially black, but even though he's really quite dark, I suspect there's some native Carribbean islander in there just going off of the racial diversity of the island (over 50% of the inhabitants have some Native or French settler (maybe British too? Can't remember) blood according to wikipedia). He has some type 4 hair, I think, though as far as I know it's never been long. Could be 3c, but I sincerely doubt it. It's really fine and soft though.

My Mother: She's Irish, English, Scottish, and Lithuanian. I've been told that since our bloodline has practically played 'collect the British Isles' that it's very likely we're Welsh too, but I don't know anything about that. I know my family's general surname is Lithuanian, so it's likely that the UK stuff goes back further into the bloodline thing as far as introduction.

My mom's hair is fine, and about a 2c, maybe a 2b longer, but she hasn't had it longer than her shoulders in her life that I know of. Her hair is naturally a medium-light ashy brown, I think, but she dyes it blonde. So 2b/c/F/ii would be my guess, I think.

As for me, I'm pretty sure I take after my mom's side more heavily. My hairtype is a pretty even mixture between the two (2c-4b range, and I'm a 3b), but my hair pretty much feels the same as my mother's, and she can coax her hair up to my type with a bit of product, actually, but without the staying power.

Color wise, I have dark hair like my father, but I think it might be a bit lighter. his hair is black as pitch, but my own is kind of a more faded black-ish color, I think. Like a black shirt after it's been through the rinse cycle a few too many times.
    Last edited by GlassEyes; April 20th, 2010 at 03:02 AM.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    ?/26"/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm about half Italian, a quarter Irish, and a quarter German. My hair is very fine, but I have many strands, making it thick. My hair is around medium brunette, I'd say. People always ask if I've had a blond streak put into the very front strand of my bangs, and red streaks through the rest of my hair, but I think this is because I spend a lot of time out in the sun (my skin, however, refuses to behave with the sun the way my hair does : P) I notice that people with Italian heritage often tend to have an oily scalp. I know I definitely do : )

Length
    28/48/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

As far as I know, I'm the standard mediterranean type: that means, a bit of everything that's so mixed together that stands on its own. All my family as far as I can trace it is spanish, from one or other region, but I speculate that I have a fair share of north-african blood (because of my grandmother - her looks and where of spain she's from), moroccan probably. I've even been mistaken for a moroccan girl a few times. Also it is possible that I have some part of nordic blood: I've been told many times that an ancestor of mine was a red-head, and some of my male relatives have their share of red hairs (specially on the beard).

I have fine medium brown hair, that seems to get darker with time, but that sun turns into a very dark blonde on summer. I'm a 2b/c, depending on the day I get more waves, some curls, or somewhat straightish, what makes it really easy to style it (if I want it straight, I can have it, if I want curls, I can have them... with a bit of work). Right now my skin is a quite unhealthy shade of pale, but I know that naturally it's darker, and tan very easily without ever getting burned.

My mother has similar hair, only thinner and lighter. She's more of a light brown, and was blonde for many years on her youth. Very few white hairs, and so fine you can't really see them.

My father hair is a bit darker, and curlier. I'd say (for the photos I've seen from when he had waist length hair) that probably a 2c/3a. His is a bit coarser than mine though.

And my grandma has black ringlets (3c, maybe?)