Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationality and Hair Type?

Length
    13.5/29.5"/33"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

I 90% British, as far back as my great grandparents, one of whom was German. I have babyfine, very blond hair and quite a lot of it. I'm a very neutral colour, hair and skin. Not very pink, or yellow. My hair has a very slight body wave. Its so thin that its hard to see the individual strands, looks like spiderweb. My sister has very thick, golden blond hair. My brothers is thick but a pale blond like mine. I have a half sister who's mother is Swedish, she has hair as fine as mine, only a little more yellow and slightly curly.

Length
    25/32.5/40
    Type
    3b/F/M/iii

I'm about half German, a quarter Dutch, and the other quarter is a mixture of all sorts of European nationalities: English, Irish, Italian, Swiss and French. My Great Grandfather's side of the family was partially of Jewish ethnicity and he's the one who passed down the curly hair to my mother (apparently it skipped my grandmother) and then to me. Everyone else in my background that I can think of has straight hair.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyStar View Post
    My ancestry is of Chinese descent but my hair isn't like that of most Chinese people. My hair has a lot of volume in it, it is not slick straight and has some hints of waves, especially when wet. I've had hairdressers suggest that I permanently straighten my hair to get that sleek Asian look!

Both my parents are from China. My mom has typical straight black Asian hair, but my dad's hair used to be wavy (he's bald now).

My hair is more or less black depending on the light. In the sun it has some reddish/brownish hues in it. It is on the warmer side of black, not the cool side.

My hair takes to curls very well, unlike many other Chinese. Sometimes I can bun my hair dry and get bun waves.

My hair is also very strong. I hardly ever find split ends and as long as my hair does not have build up, it is tangle free.

All in all, I really like my hair. I just wish it was thicker and longer!
    I have a couple of friends from the north who say wavy hair is normal where they are from, and that sleek, straight, jet-black hair stereotype only applies to the Han.

Length
    22/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm half italian, quarter croatian, quarter polish and ukrainian. I have thin strands of hair, but a good amount of it. It's wavy and a medium ash brown. My dad is fully italian, dark dark brown hair, medium thickness and wavy. My mom is Croatian, Ukrainian, and Polish. She has pretty thin hair, though it used to be the same as my thickness, curly 3a i'd say, light brown in color. Both my brothers have thick wavy dark dark brown hair like my dad.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

My ancestry is mostly French from both northern and southern France, about a quarter English, and with possibly some Irish and First Nations tossed into the mix.

My hair is fine and straight with a very slight wave that only comes out if I air-dry and the air has some humidity in it. The colour is medium brown, but with gold tones rather than ash. My hair has that really shiny, slightly oily quality to it that I associate with French hair, though I'm pretty the fine texture comes from my mother's English side. My sister has dark brown, medium textured slightly wavy hair.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm a mutt, but there are large doses of German -- that's what I probably have the most of. I have thick, mostly fine hair, although the white ones are coarse, and some of them are medium.

Length
    9"/38"/50"?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Oh, boo. I can never participate in these. I have no earthly idea where my ancestors recently came from, though family stories lean heavily toward Irish/German (just like 70% of all white Americans!).

So, as an uninformed mutt:

Normal to fast rate of growth

Medium hair, with about 10%, mostly right at the base of my neck, bordering on coarse.

Chestnut color with auburn highlights before graying.

Length
    17"/tb/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ancestry-
    Mom: German/Dutch
    Dad: German/English

Hair-
    Mom: Thick strands, wide waves, not super soft but not coarse. Dark brunette (like her father's), though now almost entirely gray and probably a ii/iii for all over thickness. Out of the six children in that family she is the only one to have such dark brown hair, one other sister has light/medium brown hair, and the rest were red heads. They all (parents included) have blue eyes and fair skin.

Dad: Medium strands, beautiful, thick waves, auburn in color, very, very few grays. He and his siblings had red-auburn hair. His mother had brunette (medium brown, maybe?) hair and his father had red hair, now entirely white. Thickness was probably a iii, but I never personally saw him with hair any longer than a standard men's cut (I saw a picture of him in high school where it was just long enough to show its texture). My aunt (his sister) has very thick, beautiful red-blond hair, so it's fair to wager that his hair would have been as thick. It was beautiful.

Me: My hair type is to the left and there are pictures in my album. I'd say it's a little darker than medium brown (when I'm not messing with the color) with natural red and blond highlights. It's mostly straight with a bit of wave/flip near the ends. My brother has (when he grew it out, now he has to abide by military standards) gorgeous, glossy, wavy brown hair with the same highlights. It's much thicker than mine in both singular strands and overall thickness. I blame my mother for this (I kid, I kid ). He has some seriously enviable hair. I love it. We both had light brown hair as children that gradually darkened to the colors we have now.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hmmm... I guess I'm a quarter french (through canada), quarter german, quarter "scotch-welsh-irish" (that's what grandma always said anyway), quarter white american of presumedly very mixed origin but definitely some english.

My mom (french/german) had dark brown hair with a bit of wave to it, medium strands, probably ii thickness. Dad ("scotch-welsh-irish" and whatever grandpa is) had light brown hair, stick straight, ultra-fine, maybe on the i/ii border for thickness.

Mine is sorta light to medium brown, small amount of wave, ii thickness, on the fine side of medium strands.

I tend to think of hairtype as being so variable even within a family though, that I find it hard to believe you'd have much variance other than on a continental level. e.g. the "scoth-welsh-irish" family had a curly brown head, a straight red head, a blondie, some dark hair, etc... among 6 sisters (I'm assuming that my great grandmother wasn't off getting impregnated by multiple men though...).

Length
    apl/waist/tlbn
    Type
    2c/F/ii

This is an interesting thread! I like reading everyone's descriptions. I'm half Irish and half English (My heritage is probably mostly Irish because both sets of great grandparents were Irish) and I may a little spanish quite a while back too. My hair is very dark brown with some red undertones in the sun, wurly (2c), quite fine and average thickness.

I used less wavy hair as a child, more like 1c/2a Both my parents have fine hair. My mum has curly 3a/3b hair and my dad has straightish 1c hair, so I guess I'm a mix
    "You do not win by struggling to the top of a caste system, you win by refusing to be trapped within one at all. The woman wins who calls herself beautiful and challenges the world to truly see her" -- Naomi Wolf