Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationality and Hair Type?

Length
    17/42/30

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

My mum is Irish and my dad is Nigerian, so I'm bi-racial and have loads of 3b curls. My brothers also have 3b curls but much prefer to cut them off/not take care of them which is sad, their hair is actually in a lot better conditon than mine.

Before I found all the information about hair online, I used to dye and bleach it every 1-2 months for about 2 years straight. I've been dye free for almost a year now, and I've been following the CG method, so my hair feels a lot better but I really want to get back to my natural colour and stop treating my hair badly!

I read that Asian hair has three layers and its cross section is shaped like a circle, whereas Caucasian hair has two layers and is shaped like an oval. Could be wrong, though. But it help explains the differences between these two types of hair.

untangledwithcare♥ windinherhair's Avatar
    Type
    1a/M/ii

On my mom's side of the family I have German heritage, and on my dad's side there is some American Indian but that is all I know. I was born with a head full of black curls. Since then I have had naturally straight and silky brown hair. It is easy to let air dry and go without having to style. My hair type is at the side. <<

Length
    TWA/-APL/WL
    Type
    4a/4b/F/ii/iii

Father's side:

West African, Native American, Irish, French

His hair was off-black, type 3 curl, he kept it very short and brushed out fuzzy. On his side, I've seen a range from type 2-4 with 3-4 predominating.

Mother's Side:

Native American, West African, Ashkenazi Jewish, German

Her hair is type 3, was jet-black now secretly greying... with coarse, resilient strands but thin in amount(low density per sq. inch). She says it's never grown past past bra-strap length without cutting it. Relatives on this side range from 2-4 too. Mostly type 2-3s.

My brother and I both have black hair. His is a black-black almost as dark as mom's...it's shinier, coarse strands, more loosely curled type 3, so I'd say he has my mother's hair.

Mine is off-black, type 4, a mix of tight curls and zigzags, matte w/ a thick-dense amount of fine & fragile strands, more like my father's hair but not exactly.

My mother, maternal aunts, grandmother(waist length in youth) are able to use a lot of heat and chemicals and still grow hair well. In my maternal grandfather's family, the women are also mostly longhairs (by average standards not necessarily LHC's..lol) with lots of thick, dense hair.

My paternal aunts and grandmother have/had a mixture of looks..one aunt wears wigs and hair extensions so much that I have no idea what's going on there...another wore a super-short haircut as long as I knew her but had normal long hair as a girl.

My paternal grandmother wore her hair hip length in braids. It was sort of a big deal i guess. My dad also said people were shocked when she cut it to waist then back length later in life. I don't know much about it other that it was describe as wavy so my guess is type 2-3 ish? ...I also don't know much about my paternal grandfather's family let alone hair specifics, so that's a mystery.
    v Hair Pix v

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyStar View Post
    My ancestry is of Chinese descent but my hair isn't like that of most Chinese people. My hair has a lot of volume in it, it is not slick straight and has some hints of waves, especially when wet. I've had hairdressers suggest that I permanently straighten my hair to get that sleek Asian look!

Both my parents are from China. My mom has typical straight black Asian hair, but my dad's hair used to be wavy (he's bald now).

My hair is more or less black depending on the light. In the sun it has some reddish/brownish hues in it. It is on the warmer side of black, not the cool side.

My hair takes to curls very well, unlike many other Chinese. Sometimes I can bun my hair dry and get bun waves.

My hair is also very strong. I hardly ever find split ends and as long as my hair does not have build up, it is tangle free.

All in all, I really like my hair. I just wish it was thicker and longer!
    Your hair sounds awesome, and quite similar to mine, in a lot of ways Unlike you, though, if I do not condition and S&D like mad, I do get some pretty unmanageable tangles . . .

I'm half-Chinese and half-American mutt (French and Swedish, mostly).

My mother's hair is black and thick and coarse, although it's thinned out and gotten some grays now. She's in her late 50's, though, and her hair is still predominantly black!

My father's hair was dark brown, fine, and slightly wavy. Now it's white and thinning

As for me, I have dark brown, almost black (most people call it black) hair, which is fairly thick and wavy. When I was younger it was poofy before I figured out I don't need to brush it or wash it every day

My dad's side all has dark brown (not as dark as mine, though) curly/wavy hair, so that's where I must get my texture.
    I used to wish I had my mother's hair, but now I'm glad I've got the waves -- I'll have to see how much gravity stretches them out

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Hi, another fellow Asian here! I'm half Chinese half Japanese. Both my parents have 1a hair, but my mom's is fine and thin while my dad's is coarse and thick. My brother probably has 1b/c/M/iii hair while I have 1a/F/i hair.

Length
    ??/TB/40"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Haha, I ended up being the genetic anomaly in my immediate family, but I look like other relatives.

I'm Canadian, Mom's side is Danish/French(Belgium) and dads side is very English. Mom's actually second generation Canadian, as her grandfather came from Denmark in 1929. Her hair is quite fine, and very dark brown, almost black. Dad's hair is very thick and a dark chocolatey brown. Mom is pretty fair complected, dad's a bit darker, both have dark brown eyes.

ME, on the other hand, is as pale as a sheet, haha! As a kid, I had strawberry blonde hair, which darkened to a borderline ginger/mousy blonde. I have loads of freckles and green eyes. Talk about genetic lottery, it does seem to be quite random!
    )°•.Lady Elenwë of the Shining Stars in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!.°(

Length
    neck/BSL/hip
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I'm West African and white American (of German & Belgian heritage). My hair is just as diverse. On the first day after washing, and styled with gel my curls are silky, almost fine, as the days go on, the gel wears down and my hair becomes more of it's natural texture, an poufy mixture of 3a/b barrel & spiral curls.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I'm a European mut as my family has been in the US since the 1600's.

I know my dad's side has some scottish, norman, british, german, and native american. My dad has black hair and dark brown eyes. It used to be thick and a slight body wave when it was longer.. it still hasn't gone grey and he is in his late 50s.

My mom also has a little Native American but much less than my dad. My grandma said they have Norman as well and outside of that are extremely mixed after being in the US so long. She has curly 3a hair. She was born blonde and it got darker. It is also very frizzy and frazzled from whatever she does to it :/

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Mom's side: German and Portuguese. Maternal grandfather (Portuguese) has thick, wurly hair, even his 80's! He's gray now, but it used to be jet black. Maternal grandmother (German) had fine, straight, dirty blonde hair. Don't know when she went gray, for as long as I knew her she dyed it. Mom's hair is thick and wurly, like her dad's, and dirty blonde, like her mom's. She went gray pretty young, in her early 30's iirc.

Dad's side: Tunisian and Russian. Paternal grandmother (Tunisian) had long, thick, straightish jet black hair when she was younger. It has thinned out a lot with age, and it's totally gray now. Paternal grandfather (Russian) died when I was a child, and was bald when I knew him. In old photos, his hair looks fine and thin, maybe brown? Hard to tell in black and white photos. Dad's hair is jet black, coarse, and straight (maybe a slight wave, like 1c), and thinning with age. Still very little gray, even in his 50's.

My hair is dark brown, in between my parents but closer to my dad's color. Don't know when I'll go gray, time will tell on that. My texture is a lot like my mom's, I think, and especially like the Portuguese side of her family. My sister's hair is the same color as mine, but thinner and straighter. She started out as a blonde baby and got darker, though, while my hair was always this dark.