Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationality and Hair Type?

Length
    19,6/33,1/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

Default Nationality and Hair Type?

I am Colombian. I dont know why my hair is dark blonde. I only have spanish blood somewhere. But i guess my family can have some other type, maybe from scandinavia, (im living in finland and girls here have very similar hair than mine). Is hard to know in my country those bloodlines.

My real hair is dark blonde, 1b and I am just learning all those things you put about your hair. (I have been here 1 hour, very new :P).
    My hair is very thin, and after i dye is becoming a little curly, is nice to have some waves.

Length
    29.5/32/term
    Type
    1b/1c/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Nationality and Hair Type?

100% (American)-Chinese, as far as I know. Mom definitely has wavy hair, with some salt. I envy the amount of shine she has, and her hair is so sleek now! For my parents wedding, she wore her hair down, and it was at least hip length. I think everyone on my mom's side has wavy hair, but I don't know about grandpa.

Dad's side is harder to pinpoint, since his hair has always been short. One of my dad's sisters has chin length, almost straight hair, while the other has long, wavy hair that is most likely at least partially the result of styling.

My little sister has fairly straight hair, which is really pretty and shiny. She won't let me braid and style it, though

That leaves me with hair that is black, coarse and wavy. I used to think my hair was only a little wavy, but now I think it's probably close to 2a than the 1b/1c that I currently have under my profile. The waves are probably making themselves known now that I've stopped using a brush, and being more careful with my hair, haha.
    Last edited by sunrain; September 7th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aino View Post
    I am Colombian. I dont know why my hair is dark blonde. I only have spanish blood somewhere. But i guess my family can have some other type, maybe from scandinavia, (im living in finland and girls here have very similar hair than mine). Is hard to know in my country those bloodlines.

My real hair is dark blonde, 1b and I am just learning all those things you put about your hair. (I have been here 1 hour, very new :P).
    My hair is very thin, and after i dye is becoming a little curly, is nice to have some waves.

My mom is from south america too, yet I have dark blonde/light brown hair 1b too that I got from her side :P We also have light eyes, so im guessing they were from europe, dont know where though.

Quote Originally Posted by curlycrown View Post
    On my father's side I have African, Taino, Irish, and Spanish ancestry. On My mother's side I have African, Taino, Spanish, Israeli, and Irish ancestry. Both my parents have 3b/3c/4a dark, black hair and both of them are Spanish speaking Dominicans. Weird huh? My mother is light skinned and my father is dark skinned. My father is now bald but my mother's hair grows at about .5" a month.

My hair is a combo of the both of them. I have 3c/4a, dark, thick hair while the actual strands are fine, and medium skin tone. My hair grows at 1" per month.
    Same here! I am Dominican and African American. I have mostly 4a textured hair with a little 4b. I don't quite know my growth rate though.

Length
    pixie/NL/Hip
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii/iii

Waow! K la K!! Another Dominicana on here. Do u relax your hair or are you natural?
    No trims!!! Currently: NL Goal: Hip Length
    Lady Concordia of the Harmonious Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29 cm/44 cm/60 cm
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I'm Indian, Cambodian, and Chinese. My hair is naturally black and wavy. It's thick (not as think as Native American hair) and I have a lot of hair so if I don't do something with it after I shower, it gets everywhere lol
    It tends to get frizzy but after I shower I put in leave-in conditioner and braid it.

Length
    ?/26/44
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

New here and finding this thread interesting.

Mom's side: grandfather is Metis- French(maybe)/Chippewa-Cree, grandmother: Welsh

Dad's side: grandfather is Welsh with maybe a splash of Italian, grandmother is Russian (possibly Russian-jewish) from Odessa.

My maternal grandmother had firecracker red hair, and I had a few red highlights in my hair before it started to go a bit grey. That red all went grey first. My hair is most like my maternal grandfathers with some pretty native-straight style hair, but I have plenty of baby-wisp fine hair around my temple and hairline that never gets long and does a few little weird things.

I studied with a wig-mistress for a couple years and apprenticed in wigmaking. We'd classify hair as european, asian or african based soley on texture/quality of shaft. I think most 1-3a, m/c hair would be classified as asian and the type most often used for wigmaking. That hair could come from a variety of countries, though, and as often from India as any of the Pacific Rim countries.
    The most expensive is the european, simply because it's finer, a bit easier to tie and can work better for fronting a wig, but I still prefer working with the asian as it's most close to my own hair type. I've not made wigs with curly hair, though, so I can't really make sweeping statements like that without stating that.

I wondered when I joined here if there was perhaps a population of particular hair types from ethnically specific places. The americas are such a hodge-podge of nationalities, you could really end up with a variety of hair types, but it seems there tends to be a type of hair we expect from different areas elsewhere around the world where a specific population spent quite a bit more time in one location. Is that a naive assumption on my part?

In the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
    Length
    <1"/waist/btsme
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Mom's side: French, Cherokee (Native American)
    Father's side: French-Canadian, Czechoslovakian

I don't know where I got my curls from. Some of my family members on both sides have a bit of wave, but the majority have straight. I'm like the black sheep with these curls and my mom had not a clue how to style my hair so I spent my entire teenage years making a mess of it. My daughter's hair is curlier than mine.

Somewhere between over here and over there...
    Length
    waist/clsc/fngr
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii/iii

My nationality/heritage is horribly complicated haha
    Roughly:
    40% German
    10% English
    5% Italian
    5% either Irish or French (the subject of much family debate at reunions)
    20% Native American
    20% African
    For the sake of simplicity I usually just say 50% German 25% Native American 25% African

I used to have what was described by my teacher in cosmetology school as "the ideal blend of Caucasian hair and African hair" which baffeled me because I've fought an uphill battle against my curly locks for as long as I can remember. (I used to have Shirley Temple ringlet curls and hated them with a passion, although everyone else thought they were adorable *cringe*)

It sounds strange but my hair type is making a change... A drastic one:
    I have fine curly hair. The curl size has gotten bigger in recent years. I used to be able to trap a pencil in the curls, this (thankfully) is no longer the case. My German/Native American genes seem to be kicking in more and I have sections that are slightly wavy to straight and the parts that are still curly are much less so. The color is also quite interesting. The vast majority is a very dark chocolatey brown, but I have a shock of gray in the front (which I lovingly refer to as my "Rogue streak" fashioned after Rogue from X-men) and some dispersed throughout my hair, I also have some red and blonde strands that sometimes make themselves known, but it's rare. If I continue on this road, I might have beautiful waves in like 5-10 years. Unfortunately, as my hair has never been one to cooperate, this makes styling a nightmare. Lately, as I've been trying to eliminate heat/chemicals from my routine, dutch braids seem to be the only way to get my hair to do anything other than frizz uncontrollably (other than using heat). When I can get it to cooperate, it looks lovely because the lighter hairs reflect the light in a very interesting way.

It's also very soft. Both of my grandparents (English/German, Native American/German with the Italian and Irish/French) on my mother's side have rediculously soft, fine hair, from whom I inherited everything but my curls and a portion of my skin color (darkish) from.
    Lady Aeolwynne of the Crystal Dragon in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

On a Diplomatic Mission Intransigentia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/butt/class
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

I'm half Mayflower-American (so mostly English), and half Mennonite (northern German, with probably Russian/Ukrainian genes too).

My hair is medium brown, medium texture, 1a/b, and I have a fair amount of it (ii/iii depending when and how I measure).

I see a lot of women of Mennonite/Hutterite heritage who not only have hair that looks like mine, they also have similar facial features, but I don't know how I got this hair if I look at my immediate family. My mom's side is all ultra-fine, wavy-curly, and quite thin. Women on my dad's side start out with thick, wavy hair, and then in their late 30s/early 40s a whole lot of it it falls out and never grows back and they cut it short and get perms to cover the bald spots. I'm really hoping it's from having lots of babies really close together and not something genetic.