Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brush vs Comb: I don't get it

Type
    2a/M/iii

Angry Brush vs Comb: I don't get it

I've read a lot around here that brushes are the devil's tool for destroying your hair and that we all should use wooden combs, so I got a comb and started trying to use it instead of my brush...I'm fed up. I don't get it. Combs take so long, and I see so little result, I'm better off just finger-combing - it achieves the same effect (not much). I'm about to give up and go back to my brush, which didn't seem to be damaging my hair that much anyway.
    So I have some questions before I do:
    How do you get a comb to be effective and efficient on long hair? Is there a certain type of comb I should use? Or do you just know that it takes longer and deal with it?
    Why are brushes so bad? Are all brushes bad? (I've tried BBBs and they only touch the very top layers of my hair, so that doesn't seem to work either)
    How important is it to use a comb instead of a brush? If you brush gently, doesn't that make things better?
    And what about that whole 100 strokes a day thing? you can't do that with a comb, so should you do it with a brush? should you do it at all?
    Does anyone have any advice for me?

Default Re: Brush vs Comb: I don't get it

From what I have read there are more material options for seamless combs, such as resin, vulcanized rubber, and horn. I find wood to be a poor choice for my hair, although many people will state the opposite.

A person has more control of where knots are when a comb is used. When using a brush sometimes those areas can be missed and damaged. I have read that BBB damage hair by snapping the hair. I think these brushes should be used after the hair has already been detangled.

But, if a brush works than you probably know how to manipulate your hair without damaging it. I would use what I am comfortable with.

ETA: I should add that I love the feel of a brush on my scalp.
    Last edited by Frying Pan Paul; May 1st, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Length
    27/32/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

For detangling I use a wide toothed wooden comb, beginning from the tops and ending at the scalp. It does take a bit longer, yes, but not that much longer if you work you hair in sections and work from the tip up. This way you will not pull and snap the tangles, but instead gently comb them out. A brush can be used for this too (sometimes I do use my nylon and boar bristle brush, when in a hurry) but it is more prone to catching on tangles and breaking hairs. The most important is the technique itself, from the tip up compleating each stroke before moving the brush up a little bit. Brush or comb is secondary, I think, if you do not have the technique down since you will pull hair with a comb too if you are not patient.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If you prefer to use a brush - use it. No foul.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Combs are good for detangling because wide toothed combs have the teeth farther apart. There's also a concern about seams ripping hair, on brushes and lower quality combs. Also, the balls on the tips of some brushes could catch hair in them. I would not suggest using a BBB on wet hair, with tangles, but if you prefer to use a brush, and it doesn't damage your hair, yay!

ETA
    Your hair is lovely, so you're doing something right! Also, a lot of people I think like Denmen's brushes? Mainly people with curly hair, but for detangling on wet hair.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

i also bought a wooden comb because of all the praises, but somehow it seemed to yank at my hair so i went back to my good old paddle brush, which is WAY easier on tangles than a wooden comb IMO.

We gotta use what works for us

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Account Closed by Member Request

I do not recall reading anywhere on this site that brushes are the devil. Actually the common denominator on LHC most often is "whatever works for you".

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Brushes definitely aren't the devil! They can be bad for some hair types but they can be great for others. I don't use one because I have curly hair, and I try not to break up the curl pattern. But if brushes work for you, go for it.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I don't get it either, that is why I now own three combs and a much doted MP brush and I use all of them daily. I guess that owning on detangling comb and one brush would do just fine, it is just that I like to have a "temple" moment while doing my hair. I like ceremonies.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Brushes aren't the devil. I sort of saw the same thing when I came on here, lots of people who praised combs and didn't like brushes. So I bought a cheap wooden detangling comb, and to be fair it has gotten some use, but my brushes still see the most - especially if I'm in a hurry. But then again my hair is the exact opposite of curly, so it's probably more of a hairtype thing. If you like your brush, use your brush
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who do not believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl