Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stretching Washes just isn't for me :(

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Stretching Washes just isn't for me :(

I'm an every other day washer too. I don't actually wash with sulfates very often but I CO or CWC with a non-sulfate poo. If I keep my hands out of it, it looks better longer. I tried stretching it to 2x per week but just couldn't stand looking gross most of the the week.

Getting closer...

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I CO-wash every morning, and have done for about two years. My hair loves it, so do I. I don't want to stretch out washes, but then I do enjoy the feeling of freshly washed hair each day. I think my hair is thriving - I put on a lot of leave-in conditioner afterwards, and that seems to be moisturising my hair a lot.

I suppose it depends entirely on what you like and your hair goals. I personally like wearing my hair down every day, and want to enjoy my hair. I actually hate having one 'good' hair day every three or four, and now I'm 41 I want to get as much pleasure out of my hair as I can.

My hair is thick, coarse and pretty curly - it's now mid-back length curly, and it likes this routine, it seems to me.

My advice would be to enjoy your hair, but maybe find someone here who has similar hair to yourself and see how they manage their hair - that worked really well for me!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Me too - I CWC every day. I've tried stretching washes, but I just don't like it. I coat the length with conditioner, then wash my roots and scalp with my favorite shampoo .... then rinse, add more conditioner, finish up in the shower and rinse again. That is CWC isn't it? This really is the best routine for me and my hair and I'm not changing it any time soon!

Length
    20/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I wish I could stretch washes past 2 (max 3) days, but it just doesn't work that way. My scalp gets too oily. I've tried scalp washes, but they generally seem like more trouble than they're worth. And since lately I've been doing heavy overnight oiliings before every wash--and my hair is SO much more healthy and silky--washing is a fairly involved process.

I'm really jealous of people like my mother who can easily go a week without washing. Of course, she bleaches her hair every 4-6 week so it's fried, so I'm not jealous of that part.

The only thing that really bugs me is that my hair is so thick that if I wet-bun it, it doesn't dry until during the night when I take it down. So I have to air-dry with it down, and it gets in my way. Can't have it all, I guess!

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

I wash every other day, so I skip a day in between. But I don't stretch washes because my hair would get dry, but rather, it would get really oily . Regardless, I'm sort of in your boat, and I don't think my hair quality suffers too much from it.
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"

Length
    Pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Stretching washes isn't for everyone and that is fine, you jut have to do why is right for your hair. I'm a twice-a-week washer, but I condition my hair everytime I get in the shower as well as slather on a little V05 condish as a leave in before I get out. The texture of my hair makes it more prone to dryness in general so I am fairly sure I could never get away without conditioning at least every other day
    Pixie--Chin--SL--BSL--Waist--Hip--Tailbone--Classic

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I guess I should, because my hairs tends to be very greasy. I now wash it 3 times a week. But I still have a long way to go to classic and I don't want to trim it every month :|
    My hair wuvs bananas!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It worked to a point, but it was a matter of changing my habits rather than my hair becoming any different. I used to lather up every time I got into the shower (pretty much every day). Through LHC, I figured out that my hair doesn't need to be washed that often, so I discovered shower caps. I'd like to wash my hair once a week or less because it's such a hassle to have it wet, and it takes hours to dry on its own or an hour to blow-dry on warm and cool. However, my hair needs to be washed every 2-3 days, and no amount of holding off for a week has done anything except give me limp, greasey hair and an itchy scalp.

Length
    20 in/waist/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

I never heard anybody say that stretching washes can make hair dry at the ends... I wonder if that is what is going on with my hair dryness? I have been stretching to washing once a week because I thought that would help with the dryness, but maybe I should change my routine and start washing every other day or even every day for a while to see if it helps with the dryness. Maybe my hair needs the extra moisture from the water? Whatever, I'm willing to try it. My scalp really doesn't get greasy at all until I put the coconut oil in pre-wash. Very interesting thread:-)
    starting length (oiled)
    Midback to Waist to Hip
    John 3:16

Length
    22apl/35tbl/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Before, my hair would be greasy after 1 day. During summer vacation, I just left my hair unwashed for a very long time. Now I can stretch to 1-2 times a week.