Thread: Greasy scalp questions

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Greasy scalp questions

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearMosquito View Post
    Maybe try brushing with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils? I usually do that on the last day before I wash to make my hair more presentable.

Edit: Just saw your hair type, you might be too curly to brush, sorry! Otherwise, if you do a CWC or regular S&C, make sure to condition only from the ears down.
    Brushing with a BBB can stimulate the scalp to produce more oil still, and makes the oil already there m ore visible! I've heard this from a few other members here in relation to BBBs, and that's my problem, too; the moment I brush my scalp, it starts to need washing again. I can comfortably get three days or more if I really want to without it looking like it needs washing so long as I'm careful not to brush or comb my scalp. (I usually wash every second day, largely because I swim every second day.)

Length
    19 in/30in/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

What kind of shampoo do you use? I read that shampoo for oily hair might make the problem worse.Your body always wants to be in balance.So,if the shampoo is too strong and stripping all the oil,your body will produce more oil to balance everything.
    Same with the skin.

I use shampoo for normal hair .It doesn't strip all the oil and my scalp feels better.

I've noticed I wash less after using henna.

Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Also try not to touch your hair at all and it helps me if I don't brush actually. The oil stays on the scalp and my hair stays non greasy longer. I wash every 3-4 days.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I've found my scalp is a lot less greasy now I've switched to CO, and this includes scrubbing conditioner into my scalp and letting it sit for 10 mins or so. Providing I condition my scalp too, my scalp doesn't seem to produce lots of grease like it used to. If I don't cover my scalp in conditioner though, I find I'm far more likely to get greasy hair. Now with CO including scalp I can happily wash my hair just twice a week and it never gets greasy. I think the conditioner stops my scalp drying out so it doesn't need to produce lots of sebum and oil.
    So that could be worth a try, though it has taken about a month for my scalp to settle into this.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    waist/TB/long

Have you tried doing scalp-only washes on days you don't want to wash all your hair. You can use either shampoo or watered-down shampoo or CO for this. It's pretty easy. You put your hair in a low braid or ponytail, hold that hair with one hand, lean over your sink and wet just the top of your head (or a little further down the back of your head if needed), gently lather up, rinse under the faucet again, and you're finished. Before standing up, put a towel over the wet part so it doesn't drip down onto the dry hair. If you can let it air dry before combing out, almost no water will get on the lower part of the hair.

This is longer to explain than to do actually. It's quite easy and keeps you from the hassle of a full wash, plus it helps to prevent over-washing and drying out the length of your hair.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Have you tried CO really washing the scalp with it? My scalp is pretty greasy and always has been. It's a little less greasy than it used to be becaues I went to sls free shampoo until it got used to it and then CO. I try to do it daily. I sometimes miss a day in between washing. I don't understand why you keep the conditioner off your scalp because it's the conditioner that gets the sebum out. I put it on my scalp first, scrub like crazy and then add more to my length. I rinse at the end of the shower. If it's really greasy that day, I just rinse out the stuff on my scalp before adding more and then do the whole thing over again and rinse at the end.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    12/54/?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I used to HAVE to wash my hair everyday, now I wash it twice a week , but Id say it took months for my scalp to settle down and stop with the major oil production. Probably 4-6 months, Id use powder and do just scalp washes if it was driving me crazy.
    Schmoomunitions

Length
    pixie/14.75/BSL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I second the dry shampoo idea! I've got fine hair, and it took me about 4 months to get to be able to shampoo & condition every 3rd day. Boar bristle brush (BBB), as mentioned may not work for you if you have fine hair. (makes my roots ridiculously greasy, so I just use it on my ends after I have applied a little coconut oil).

I got my dry shampoo at Sally's...it's called batiste original. I've also noticed that I can't have certain hairstyles on my third day...it's got to be a french braid or something similar. And my natural sebum acts as hair gel holding my braid all day! It's wonderful! You've just got to experiment and find the routine that works best for you.
    Lady Leuce, Guardian of the White Tree in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_in_Pink View Post
    I read somewhere that corn starch acts like a dry shampoo and soaks the excess sebum. Haven't tried it though.
    I forgot to add this to my first post! lol

Yes, I use cornstarch at least once a week (usually by day 3 of no washing). I love the way it soaks up ALL my excess oil and makes my hair feel thick and fluffy and full of volume. I can easily go another day or two without washing after using cornstarch.

Length
    apl/hip/clsc+
    Type
    2c/M/i

Thank you all! So much good advice