Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding fragrance to Coconut oil?

Default Adding fragrance to Coconut oil?

Hello everyone! I of course use coconut oil for my hair treatments but I also use it as a moisturizer or lotion . My skin is sooo soft and the oil absorbs really quickly in my dry skin but I wonder if I could add some fragrance? On the skin the oil has no scent really and I do not want anything extreme but I do like a little fragrance. If I mixed in some essential oil into coconut oil that I use as a moisturizer do any of you think it'll ruin the good properties the coconut oil has? Any nice scented essential oil recommendations?!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Adding fragrance to Coconut oil?

Use a perfume oil. I have a few bottles from the body shop and I mix them with my coconut oil and olive oil. I don't mix them all at once in a container. (I don't want to get the ratios wrong and make it too strong and waste oil) I put a dab of perfume oil in my palm and then mix whatever amount of olive or coconut oil I was planning to use for that application in my palm, rub my hands together and apply. I love it.

An essential oil may not be a good idea since, depending on the ratio of the base oil (coconut in your case) to essential oil, the EO might not be diluted enough and might be harmful and cause irritation. From what I've heard, EOs are very concentrated and potent.

ETA: Aveda has perfume oils as well, and a wide selection. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm curious. Also be careful about putting your mixture around the eyes and mouth, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by HintOfMint; April 14th, 2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: adding a recommendation and warning

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I put patchouli oil into my coconut. It works great. Just a couple of drops so it will be somewhat subtle. I also put in some orange oil.

Length
    19/29.5/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I put a couple drops of peppermint EO into just about everything, and it seems to work well.

Length
    17"/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I've heard that putting a few drops of rose oil in is really nice as well

2014 aim: Prepare for knee Ultimate goals: Knee length and dye free. World Domination.

Of course adding a fragrance is a great idea! You may want to consider if you prefer a naturally based fragrance or synthetic.

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've been wanting to do this, too! Actually, I got a bottle of EO bergamot to add to my coconut oil from Prairieland Herbs specifically for this purpose. On the website they sell the EOs as ingredients for making your own lotions/shampoo, so I'm taking their word for it (of course looking up a good ratio would also be a good idea)

Type
    1b/F/ii

A cut up vanilla bean gives gorgeous fragrance to coconut oil. You can just leave it in the bottle.
    My plant dye strand tests - Henna, cassia, indigo, buxus on mohair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3933575...7619485710101/

Length
    22"/28"/32"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by caribou55313 View Post
    A cut up vanilla bean gives gorgeous fragrance to coconut oil. You can just leave it in the bottle.
    sounds yummy.
    just like one would do with a vanilla pod in a jar of sugar?
    Last edited by Hana; April 15th, 2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: apparently i cant spell.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about."
    Oscar Wilde.

Length
    20/shldr/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i

Geranium EO with coconut oil smells wonderful for me! Though I've only used it as a perfume. My hair isn't into coconut somehow :/