Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

OK, I know a couple members swear by this and decided to (1) give it a try, and (2) give it a thread so people can find it easily.

The recipe varies a little, but this is what I did:
    2 parts unrefined shea butter
    1 part coconut oil
    2 parts conditioner

I melted the coconut oil and shea butter together in the microwave, then eyeballed and stirred in about 2 parts of my cone-free (possibly protein-free, I'll have to check) conditioner, in a little plastic container. They don't mix all that well and tend to separate, so I stuck the concoction in the freezer for a few minutes. As the shea solidified, the emulsion stayed together much better. Store covered, room temperature seems OK.

My limited experience with this so far is that my hair likes it. I put too much on the ends, so they were sticky and a little waxy feeling until the cream dried a bit, then they still seemed too oily. Wore updos for the next day and a half, and found that my hair absorbed it all and was feeling particularly soft and healthy. If I continue to get results like this, this cream may replace straight oils for me, which never quite leave me moisturized enough.

Any success/failure stories and alternate recipes?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I LOVE this stuff. I have bad luck with straight oils, and there was a thread on the old LHC where the idea came up that damaged (i.e. protein deficient hair) may not be able to grab oils well. Shea, being an emollient, helps upraised cuticles lay down, so this worked when nothing else did on my tattered ends.

Sniped from my journal, here's my recipe and prep method:

Leave-Ins: After a shower I use Fox's Shea Butter leave in, which is 1 part coconut oil, 2 parts conditioner, and 2 parts shea. I use Frank & Myrrh Shea because I love the smell, and my Jason Henna-Hi Lights conditioner. To make it I add the shea to a glass bowl in the sink, surrounding it with hot hot water and mash with a spatula until it's melted, replenishing the hot water as often as necessary to keep the glass hot. Then I add in the coconut oil (it has a lower melting point, so it blends into the shea quickly. Then I take out the bowl, dry it off and add the conditioner and blend with a hand mixer. To make it set faster and keep it from getting grainy I put it in the freezer for a minute or two, take it out and hit it with the hand mixer again. Repeat until it's the consistency of frosting and well blended. Once its done I transfer it into a glass jar and put it in the bathroom. To apply I scrape up about two peas worth and smooth it between my palms, then start at the ends, smoothing them, working higher up as there is less and less shea on my hands.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Yes, this is a good recipe. It's one of the very few leave in products that work on my hair. It even works on dry hair between shampoos. My ingredients are:

1 part Beauty Without Cruelty Leave In
    1 part Shea butter
    1/2 part Sunflower oil
    Rosewood and lavender essential oils

I found the best way to mix it is to follow a "mix the oils together, and then add the water fraction" plan, with the BWC being the water fraction. I don't melt any of it.
    Last edited by Flaxen; May 5th, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding amounts

Length
    20/31.5/34
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I have been using straight coconut oil and find it's nice but is not making my hair as soft as I'd like. I plan to give this a try as shea butter has peaked my interest.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

This recipe was the first I tried when I began lurking obsessively around here. I've been using it ever since, lately it is my favorite leave in.

I don't melt the butter, I whip it like a cake. If it has room temperature, it turns really fluffy. Then I add the oil and put it in the freezer for a while, take it out, whip again, freezer again, whip etc.

When it's nice and stable, I add the conditioner.

I use unrefined shea butter, jojoba oil and one of my two favorite conditioners (German ones): Alverde Aloe Vera- Hibiskus or Sante Brilliant Care.

I keep it in the fridge because I like the cool feeling when it melts in my hands. I put it on my hair very often, a tiny amount is enough to make it unbelievably soft and shiny. Before I wash, I put in really a lot.

There are two recipes that have saved my hair: this one and Jessie's essential oil for scalp massage. For these two miracles, I bless LHC.
    Last edited by Melisande; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Type
    1c/F/i

I have made this cream many times and it has been always a succes, except one time.
    The last time I used a conditioner from Aubrey Organics and after two or three weeks it was moldy. Yuck! Usually, I had no problems keeping my cream for a much longer time.
    I guess, AO condish wasn´t very good for this kind of recipe, because they hardly use preservatives.
    After that experience I feel a bit hesitant to retry it though I have had very good experiences with it.

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I am trying this out today. I'm using Flaxen's method of mixing without melting, mainly because I'm lazy. I may try using heat the next time.

I used Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple conditioner. I globbed this stuff all over my hair because I'm home from work sick and have nothing better to do. It combed through pretty nicely, and my hair is coated in it now. I've got it it a braided bun and it's under a "do rag". My plan is to wash it out tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    pixie/27/40
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Ah, thank you for posting this thread, Anje. This is a recipe that I still have to try and after hearing so many good things about it, it is one that I assuredly will try.
    First Goal: BSL
    Second Goal: Waist Length
    Third Goal: Classic Length

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Ooo this recipe sounds good!

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I love this too, though I've added a little aloe to mine because it seems to work better as a styling aid that way.

Thanks for posting this for easy access!
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert