Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head and Shoulders shampoo??

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Head and Shoulders shampoo??

I've been using Head and Shoulders shampoo, for at least 30 years. My hair is thick and strong and I rarely get split ends. I really like it and I think my hair (and scalp) does too, but maybe its because I haven't tried anything else? I do have naturally very oily hair though, so maybe I need it?

Does anybody else like it? Am I stripping all my natural oils? Now that my hair is at BSL, I want to look after it more. Any suggestions for a more natural, but less harsh alternative? I like the idea of ACV?

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Head and Shoulders shampoo??

No need to mess with what's working for you. I don't understand, are you having dandruff problems that you need that shampoo for? My husband gets dandruff mostly because he doesn't scrub his scalp enough. If he scrubs it regularly, he's fine.

I always had oily hair, too. Really oily hair maybe would be better to say. I switched to daily sls free and cone free washing. My hair looked sooo much better. I tend to get a lot of frizz. Once my scalp calmed down to where I could get away with missing a wash day (sort of), I switched to daily CO. I'm able to skip a wash day now and I use a very heavy conditioner. I really have to scrub that scalp though. I found that I was drying my hair to keep up with my oily scalp.

On the other hand, if you aren't having dry hair, splits or frizz, it's no big deal. I would only change if it was an issue of getting rid of the oily scalp thing. By the way, stretching washes was a disaster for me. I had to do the stages to make it work. Milder shampoo, stretch now and then, CO stretch now and then. That's the only thing that worked for me.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    28/BSL/APL:P
    Type
    1c/M/ii

My opinion is don't fix it if it's not broken! You can try diluting your shampoo or stretching time between hair washes to see if you can use even less, I wash mine every other day. How is your hair feeling at the ends? There's a myriad of oils you can experiment with if your ends are dry, crunchy, or frizzy.

I'm nooby here myself, but my advice is to not get swept up in oil-mania or cone-free-mania just because it works for a lot of vocal people; if you're happy with your hair care routine, and your hair's happy, don't worry about it!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hmm, thanks GoddesJourney. That's a good point about not messing with what works. I just tried my first ever coconut oil treatment and was amazed at how soft and smooth my hair is, which made me think maybe I was being too harsh. If I stopped using H&S, I would be flakey in a few days. I have to wash my hair every day, or else I would have to stay home I have bangs, so they show the oil a lot faster ...

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

GoddesJourney, you have a beautiful dog!

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I know this girl who worked at a makeup counter; she had the most amazing head of shiny, healthy virgin Asian hair, absolutely thick and one-length and straight and swingy, and she used H&S only for her entire life. Sadly, she got suckered into mainstream beauty and had her hair heavily layered, permed, and lightened to a milk-tea color with bleached blonde highlights, and she said that she could no longer use H&S shampoo because it became too stripping for her hair.

Type
    3a/F/ii

Aliped it's common for the fringe to show oiliness quicker and lots of LHC'ers do a fringe only wash in the sink. I really recommend them, they make you feel and look fantastic.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

My younger sister has waist length blond hair and she uses Head and Shoulders, too. Since she has used it, her hair is much shinier than before. So it can't be that bad. I know her hair is a bit demaged. But I think it's not because of the shampoo but the horrible plastic brushes and flat iron.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I decided to refresh the thread, since it's the most universal and so it's the best candidate to become the Official H&S Thread.

Actually, I'd like to ask why there is such a huge myth lingering around it. I've heard it's alkaline and drying... But for me it works great (as a shampoo, not necessarily so well as a dandruff remover).
    So, does anyone have some really dramatic experience? Why it's all like "H&S is bad. Period."? And is there anyone with positive experiences, like me?

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I've used it basically my whole life and it's worked decently for me. I still get a few tiny scalp flakies, but it gets gunk off my scalp, which seems to be what it needs.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com