Thread: Copper peptides for hair

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Copper peptides for hair

I've just found out some interesting info on copper peptides and hair growth and am planning to do some research, but thought I'd consult fellow LHCers for their advice first.

I checked out the search menu and apparently it has proven pretty good for skin problems, but I'm looking more into the effects it has on hair growth.

I stuck a little entry in my blog about it, but I'll copy it here so you don't have to go searching. I looked into it because it was in a hair, skin & nail vitamin I bought today and wanted to know more about the ingredients...

Copper (1mg) I wasn't aware how important copper is for healthy hair and found it also quite interesting. Apparently copper peptides, while not an overnight miracle, will speed up hair growth, increase the follicle size, rebuild blood supplies to damaged follicles, increase melanin synthesis for maintaining hair colour, lengthen the growth phase and help to thicken hair.

Has anyone tried or looked into copper for hair growth? I'm interested to know how much would be a safe amount to take without side effects (except the beneficial ones), and anyone's opinions of using it.

ETA: Just found this thread (helps when I put the "s" at the end of the word in the search to find more relevant info) where someone else has already asked about it for thicker hair growth... anyway, looks like some of us are keen to know more!
    Last edited by Liss; April 3rd, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: adding thread from search
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Copper peptides for hair

Yeah, we allready have a thread on that. I bumped it just recently :P I think I'm going to try the stuff out soon... I'm just afraid that the copper will leave a greenish/blueish tint... Hmm... Fortunately, my hair gets darker and darker, and the roots are almost med-brown now, so if I just keep it out of the length, I should be safe - right?

I haven't found any other brands with copper peptide sprays/lotions than Folligen. Do anybody have experience with that brand? Should I buy the spray og the lotion? The cream is obviously not for me - my hair maybe isn't the thickest hair around, but I'm not balding...

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hi Clarisse. Thanks for your reply. I haven't really looked into any topical products for the hair that contain copper, only vitamin formulas for taking in pill forms. So I really don't know about the possibility of the hair slightly changing colour, I guess it would only be obvious on blonde hair if it does happen.

I did a bit more research for taking copper peptide supplements for anyone interested. Apparently it is recommended to take about 2mg or 3mg a day. There is the potential for copper toxicity and liver damage if amounts of around 10mg are taken daily, so that's not recommended. Excess copper in the body would be noticable by vomiting and upset stomachs, so it is possible to OD on copper supplements if people consider ingesting it for hair health and growth.
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I've never heard about taking it orally before - it's interesting.
    But doesn't copper hinder the absorption of zinc, iron, magnesium and manganese (and vice versa)? Zinc and iron are pretty important for hair too, and zinc/iron deffiency would lead to hair loss... I think I'll have to look this up - if I find anything interesting, I'll post an update with a link

Edit: I haven't found anything on internally taken copper peptides Searching the web for info about copper peptides, I did come across some interesting articles on the stuff.

Ezine articles: Do Copper Peptide Hair Treatments Really Work?

Wikipedia on baldness treatments - Copper Peptides

An article on copper peptides, originally posted in the russian magazine "Kosmetika"

It is important not to overdose, as it will irritate the skin. It should be used once a day or once every other day, and a dropper should be used on thinning hair areas, to make sure not to get too much and irritate the skin.
    I'm a little concerned about the fact that you can get too much of it and that it irritates skin/breaks down scar tissue. I think I'm going to order a bottle anyway - just to see what it is capable of...
    Last edited by Clarisse; April 4th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Copper peptides are a topical application. You put it on your scalp. Do not take it orally. Copper is toxic at fairly low levels, and taking copper peptides orally aren't going to do anything for your hair anyway.
    Last edited by Flynn; April 5th, 2010 at 01:32 AM.

Ha, so someone found my thread! I'm glad this topic's been brought up again, I'm STILL curious to know if topical applications of CP serum will thicken the hair!

Unfortunately I'm terrible at doing things religiously and never got around to experimenting with it on my scalp... and I haven't used it on my skin much either Hoping to get back into it, although now I'm worried my CP serum has gone bad... Is that possible? There were no instructions on where to keep it so its been in the bathroom cabinet for a looong time, and it gets HOT and steamy in there. The serum has turned from blue to a more dark greenish color.

Either way, I'm going to keep using it, and I think if people start experimenting with it on the scalp, I may as well! As soon as I finish my bottle of Mega Tek...

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

This is interesting, i know internally that copper and zinc have to be in a certain balance and that the zinc supplement i had also contained copper in certain proportions so that the two did not compete......or something.
    I've not noticed products containing copper peptides but i'm not used to looking at products much anymore, it sounds interesting though.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.