Thread: Trimming to classic! Any experienced out there?

Length
    bsl/hip/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Red face Trimming to classic! Any experienced out there?

Okay, so I've been aiming for classic for what seems like forever.
    At first I did the trim ~2x a year (small)
    Then as I got closer (and poorer) I decided to try the no trim method (or tiny trim about once a year). And it seemed like my hair just didn't grow very much/fast, and after awhile my ends would look so bad that is when I'd do the mini trim each year.

Then, I dyed my hair BLACK. Just this past December (with a demi).. and wow. Look my hair does grow (ROOOTS!) and it grows pretty dang fast lol

So now that I've tried the no trim method. I'm going to try the trim "often" method to see if I can get past TB. So I'm going to try and do a small trim every ~3 months and see if that gets me to classic
    So I just did a majour trim (~1.5 inches), and my hair looks/feels so much better! And now the experiment begins!

Anyone else have any experience with this? My supervisors daughter has long hair and she says she trims it very often with it still growing longer, and I may just be having breakage on my ends so much that it appears my hair isn't growing.. Which makes sense to me..
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2355&dateline=1205295  043 "There are no back doors, no free rides. There's just you, this moment, and a choice."

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Trimming to classic! Any experienced out there?

Sounds like you're getting breakage. I found I had more and more damage as my hair got longer. That's probably what you're experiencing as well - more wear and tear as it's able to rub on more things. I did the every-3-month trims and it was okay, but I also kept my hair down all the time so I still had damage. And I was only trimming 1/4" each time, so if I had trimmed 1/2" or more, it may have helped more.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    27/Ankle/Floor
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I've just gone past tailbone. My hair does grow fast(ish), and I find that I can feel when I need a trim on the ends. They get very rough, and I can start to see the splits. Its abit damaged, from blonde foils a few years ago, which has slowed the growth I think.

I try and cut every six months, and just as little as possible. I've been able to keep thick, healthy ends that way, all the way to tailbone. Lets hope it works to classic! In winter, I find I don't need to trim - my hair stays wet more (kind of like an all day treatment), and dosen't grow as much.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Do you wear your hair up often? That might help protect it from rubbing or catching on things that could break it off...

Length
    bsl/hip/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by countryhopper View Post
    Do you wear your hair up often? That might help protect it from rubbing or catching on things that could break it off...
    During the winter I don't as it's my blanket lol - but during the summer I gotta love those cool buns and braids
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2355&dateline=1205295  043 "There are no back doors, no free rides. There's just you, this moment, and a choice."

I stopped colouring my hair about 2 or so years ago. I am definitely finding that the 'roots' grow faster than the overall length increases. My hair has gained length during that time, but just not as much as the new growth would warrant.

However, the ends of my hair are greatly damaged from old chemical dyes. I also have dry, split prone hair anyway (some of my new, never dyed hairs have splits, very rude of them).

Other than S&D, I haven't been trimming my ends. I consider it 'buffer' hair, to prevent hair further up taking the kind of damage that hair tips take. Or I also think of it as 'trial long hair', as in "This is what it's gonna feel like when the healthy hair is long, only, you know, healthier!"

It probably would look a bit nicer if I cut it back 2-3 inches. But for now, as long as I can wrangle it into some semblance of condition with my coconut oil, I'm gonna stubbornly hang onto it.

In regards to trimming while on the way to classic: My hair is classic length now. When wet in the shower with water running down it. And then, only about 10 hairs are there.... If you want to have a really great celebration and feeling of accomplishment upon getting to classic, I would recommend keeping some semblance of a thickened hemline. The way I'm going, my hair is gonna have to be quite a bit longer than classic before it actually looks like it's classic length!

Length
    15 in/38"/55
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Going for classic too (about 4 inches to go) and I only do small trims about 4 times a year. I self trim now via the tying it in a ponytail method. It is faery tale endy but not too bad. I find my hair grows faster in winter though and we actually had a cold winter in the uk which means.. more growth

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I must admit since trimming my hair does seem to have gained length. I trimmed from 36 1/2 inches to 34 1/2 inches just over a month ago. First trim in nearly 2 years. And now when I measure I'm back at 36". So perhaps the trim has helped it to gain length
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I trimmed a lot last year, 1cm in almost every month and my hair grew fast but because I always trimmed the amount it grew it didn't get longer (but became healthier). This year I trim 1-1.5 cm once in every 3 months. My ends are pretty thin in the last 4-5 inches. I know it'd look much better if I cut that but I'm so close to my final goal! Just 5 inches away. When I get there I'll cut all the growth for at least a year. I hope my ends will be much thicker by then.