Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleach made my dry, brittle hair soft!

Length
    30/32/36
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Bleach made my dry, brittle hair soft!

I know, I know...the title of my post will make most cringe. Just the word "bleach" makes me wince. To make a long story short...

My ends ALWAYS feels dry and coated -and sometimes brittle. I used an ash blonde toner last week (no peroxide, just temporary deposit only) and it made my hair darker and more brassy. I was so upset and frustrated with this ugly color, that, in a moment of weakness, I mixed bleach with some conditioner and applied it all over. I left it on for about 5 minutes. I rinsed it out, and my hair was so smooth -it felt like healthy hair for the first time in a looong time! It removed the dull brassy toner too. Also, it is more bouncey and shiney!?

The only time my hair consistantly feels like hair is when I travel to good "hair water" places.I have medium brown hair, and I lighten my canopy to blonde. I dont color the underside/length at all. I have COd for years. I rarely shampoo because it is WAY too drying on my dry hair.I only shampoo once every 9 days or so with a diluted shampoo. I clarify (VO5 kiwi lime)once every month or so -but it dries out my hair so badly that it takes a week to recover. Clarifying rarely makes my hair feel better. I cant use oils or protein, and rarely use silicones -they all make my hair dry and brittle. I usually only use Suave or VO5 to CO and also use them as the follow up conditioner.

The reason I had bleach in my cupboard is because someone I trust told me she gets less damage from lightening her hair with a certain brand of bleach than she did with a 30v developer. I never had the courage to use it until yesterday. I stopped bleaching my hair years ago. The salons overlapped it and my hair broke off. I banned bleach after this.

I know this is quite odd, and I may suffer future damage, but I am enjoying the rarity of soft shiney hair! (and seriously tempted to do this again when my hair gets naughty)

ETA -I dont want to resort to bleach every month or so in order to clarify. There has to be a better option!
    Last edited by fluffer; May 4th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Haha, well, you may have just written the world's first testimonial as to the hair-healing powers of bleach.

What in the world does "bouncey hair" mean?

Length
    30/32/36
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Oops, "bouncy" I never downloaded the online spell-check.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

By any spelling, what does it mean to have "bouncy hair"? I truly don't understand this.

Speaking of testimonials as to the benefits of bleach, since I posted earlier, I remember that I heard a hair stylist on a talk show discussing the benefits of bleach as a hair thickener -- because it roughs up the cuticle and makes each hair take up more space.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Have you considered honey, or cinnamon, which have noticeable peroxide values? Honey is amazing in many ways...

One thing that caught my attention: You say that your hair feels this way in 'good hair water' places. Have you considered making "Miracle water"? It's essentially water with vitamin c and citric acid. (You just need a little bit of vitamin C, but the amount of citric acid depends on your place's water.) I'd start first by getting a gallon jug, filling it with water, adding a squirt or two of lemon juice and half a cup of vinegar (unless you happen to have vitamin C or citric acid lying around). You wash using that water, which may be a bit of a change if your used to showering and rinsing like that, but it should be fairly easy. Even if you just use it as a final rinse, it might help. There was an old old post on the pre-crash LHC.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I'm glad your happy fluffer. I tried a perm once when I was a teen. At first, my hair felt soft, and very conditioned but about 3 month later I started to notice breakage and lack of shine. I was reading recently that the problem with any processing is it opens and swells your scales allowing
    harmful cooper to get into your hairs core. While this may happen a little with unprocessed hair, it happens all the time with processed. I would suggest you look for a shower filter that will remove this mineral from your water. Usethe filtered water only and oil before swimming. Get a portable filter if you travel.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

Account Closed by Member Request

I can pretty much relate to you. My hair has never looked healthier than when I treated it like...Well you know what.

When I had waist length virgin hair, it was frizzy, shineless, uncombable and prone to rats' nests in the back no matter how conditioned it got and how carefully I detangled.

Then started my routine of bleach, dye black, highlight, dye dark blue, dye, dye, permanent black, permanent black, semi, semi, (are you cringing yet, longhairs?)...

Its damaged, but its very shiny and appears healthier and softer than many of my friend's virgin strands. However, when I grow out this chemical mess, I will leave my natural be. Its actually naturally getting blacker as the years pass (genetic trait of mousy brown descending to black during adolescence) so I won't have to use the bottle black anymore.

Its never to late to start doing the right things...Right?

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

No matter what I always remember that if processed hair was really good, why would anyone buy hair extension from China, and India? They arn't useing these chemicals. Of course all of that makes me squeamish, what does that tell you? I know it's gets bleached once in that case. But basically the less chemicals the better.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

I guess the bleach made the conditioner penetrate the hair better since it roughs up the cuticle? It would be great if we could harness and reverse the harmful effects of processing and use them for the power of good! Did the bleach-conditioner cocktail do any lightening at all?

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

The crazy thing about when I used to bleach my hair was that it gave my hair more body and made it appear thicker, which was nice. However, I didn't have much shine and my hair was breaking and damaged. I guess the bleach just made my cuticle more porous so it appeared to have more volume.