Thread: Freaking out!

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Red face Freaking out!

Okay, talk me off the ledge because I am totally perplexed here - when I first measured my hair circumference, dirty and compacted it was 4.5 inches, and even after a pregnancy shed it was just over 4 inches still.

Now, with no discernible increased shedding in my comb and no medical reasons to shed, that I can think of, I measured tonight and am down to 3.5 inches! My husband commented that my hair looks as thick and healthy as ever and I have tons of new growth both six inches long AND a bunch of 1-inchers that came out of nowhere.

What could have caused such a huge change? I am pregnant again, 13 weeks, but never noticed any increased shedding in early pregnancy with any of my other kids. I have also lost about 50 pounds but am still overweight, and I take a hair supplement, fish oil, a B complex, and vitamin D. My diet is extremely healthy and well rounded.

The only thing I can think of, especially given the new shorties, is that I did have a gradual large shed and didn't notice, maybe due to anemia? I tend to go anemic during pregnancy and they haven't yet prescribed me anything to counteract that.

Could that (or something else) have really caused such a huge shed WITHOUT me noticing much in my daily styling? Could I have just been measuring that wrong before, somehow?
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Freaking out!

Ah crap, I think I'll have to call my OB about this - I went on Dr. Google (never the best idea) to investigate causes of hair loss *during* pregnancy, and found mention of hypothyroidism onsetting with pregnancy and causing not only that symptom, but lots of other I am experiencing that I thought could be anemia.

I've not only lost a good .5-1 inch of circumference, I have been unusually exhausted and lethargic beyond normal pregnancy issues, freezing cold (think blue/white nails and lips) in 70 degree rooms, sore and achy... All beyond my past pregnancy experiences. I've also had more infections and illnesses than normal in the past few months, and can't shake them.

All of these are more commonly associated with hypothyroidism than anemia. Ack!

So I suppose my question has changed - does anyone have experience with this condition? I am going out of town for two weeks this Thursday, is it a big enough deal that I should call my doctor to run tests before I leave, or can it wait a bit?

I guess the only upside is that, with treatment, my hair should all grow back.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have no advice to offer, but I think you're making the best choice in going to see your doct0r about it.

Hang in there, everything will work out! And don't pay too much attention to what you read on the internet; in fact, I think I'd just not look up anything since you're going to go see your doctor soon anyhow. No use in freaking out over what could be "nothing". You don't need any more added stress now!

Keep us posted! It will turn out ok! Happy thoughts!

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

My good friend was recently diagnosed with postpartum hypothyroidism, so it isn't exactly the same, but I would recommend you go as soon as you can to get it checked out, as it could impact the fetus and may also increase your chances of permanently having hypothyroidism, beyond your pregnancy.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Account Closed by Member Request

I found that i have hypothyroidism at age seven, since then i take my hormones everyday. I barely loose any hair but i think that's why my hair is a bit dry unless i take extra measures to fix it, was since my childhood.

Edit: When i forget my pills i just tend to sleep a lot.
    Last edited by Annitta; March 29th, 2010 at 08:21 AM.

Firstly, congrats on the bun in the oven!

In terms of treatment, people have hypothyroidism for a long time without treating it, because they don't know that they have it. I don't treat mine, because I don't want to take hormones (which is the most common treatment). I'm currently changing my lifestyle to be healthier and more active, I've also included a LOT more vitamins in my daily routine. I've noticed that my hair is thicker lately, and that my skin isn't as sickly pale... I still get freezing cold all the time, but it's getting better.

Because you're pregnant, your Doc might not be able to give you the hormones to treat hypothyroidism... BUT you are pregnant, and if it's severe enough, the baby could be affected. I would go to your doctor asap and get a checkup, you can never be too careful.

HTH, and keep us updated.

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks for your insights, everyone! It looks like if I AM deficient on my T4 they can treat me with synthetic hormone safely, it's just a matter of determining if that is the problem. I will be placing a call to my OB within the hour to make sure it's nothing that needs treatment before I head out of town.

I still can't believe I lost so much hair, though! Almost an inch in half a year, and definitely half an inch in three months. Yikes! Hairloss was always something I read about on these forums, I never thought I'd deal with it myself!