Thread: Some ideas for new growth

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Some ideas for new growth

this is a thread for those of us experiencing massive new growth and not sure how to style it, as well as related tips for dealing with such situations.

Mine started coming in in October after a horrendous and scary post baby shed - I was pulling out handfuls of around a thousand hairs a day for about three months! I started taking Biotin and shortly thereafter started noticing massive amounts of new hairs!

The problem is now that they are all between one and four inches long and stick out all over my head! It is worse when my hair is freshly washed, since it is then at its 'poofiness'. Today I wore freshly washed (CO washed) hair up and by the end of the day looked like Laurie Anderson!

Lately I have switched from using hair gel to using massive amounts of Goth Rosary conditioner to slick my hair flat if I want to wear it up and smooth(ish) - usually on dirty days. (photos with dread falls in my album). Solution #1 - get those babies as flat as possible with product that is moisturizing my hair anyway.

The other thing is that I've been braiding extensions (blue-black plastic hair) into the new growth at my nape to help disguise it. Part of me wonders if I can just keep braiding plastic hair into my new growth there until it reaches a length where it is tie-back-able. Solution #2 - braid extensions in!

The only other thing that sort of works are lots and lots of bobby pins or rolling/twisting hair back. Solution #3 - mega amounts of accessories to hold all the wisps - doesn't work so well though, and needs redoing.

Anyone else have any tips (besides wearing hats for several years!) for dealing with new growth that makes you look like you have stuck your finger in a socket? We can also support and remind each other that we are not alone!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Some ideas for new growth

I wish this was my problem! My hair grows so slowly. Your hair in your pictures looks great though Katze.

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I had a huge shed due to a vitamin deficiency. I experienced exactly the same problem as you, but I just accepted it. I was already so glad that my hair came back. At this point the poofiness has gotten better, the new growth almost reaches my ears. Hang in there after 6 months it won't be so bad anymore.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    Ear/Chin/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

What I have started to do is wear a high/fan bun. That is what I call it. I have no idea if it has a name already. When I say high, I mean above the crown. This way most of my new growth is contained in it. I do have to pin the sidepieces but I only need two hairpins or bobby pins. When I have a chance, I will probably make a video.
    3a-3b/C/iii
    (Ear)-Chin-SL-CBL-APL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL
    Lady Addance of the Insightful Mind in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Length
    apl/waist/...
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have new growth like this, but I wear my hair down a lot so it's not as noticeable (for some reason). When I'm at school, however, I have to wear my hair back so I usually put a wide, material head band on. I find that it holds the wispy bits back so I don't look - as you said - like I've put my finger in a socket. I take it out as soon as I get home though.

This probably isn't the best solution, but it works temporarily for me.

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

What I do for those new hair growths is I use a natural boar bristle brush. It flattens the hair onto your head, I think it's because of the natural oils. But it works for me quite well, but mostly when my baby hairs have reached 3-4 inches..

Type
    1c/F/ii

This happened to me and I used a cony serum. Right now my new hairs are past my ears but they still show up quite a bit. I want to try aloe for the frizz but I have yet to.

Length
    short/Butt/There
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

OMG I soo know what you mean! The post-baby shed was the scarriest thing of my life, so now I am just very happy to see the new hairs growing back. They stick up and poke through my hair, I am so happy to see them that I just let them be LOL

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

What about trying WO? When i do this, natural sebum builds up and naturally conditions my hair, and makes the baby hairs very obedient.

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Using Mn, I have a lot of new hairs that range from 2-10 centimeters long. They stick up and out all over my head. At first glance they appear to be massive damage. I try to slick them down with coconut oil or leave-in conditioner. No matter what I do, I have a very big halo. I'm living with it and am very happy about it as all my new hairs are much thicker than my "original" hair.