Default Re: The Cadogan Braid

A picture of the catogan/cadogan here:

http://www.theweebsite.com/garb/pec/pec82.html

"queue," also meaning pigtail.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Athena's Owl View Post
    *blink* maybe that's a regional thing, but pigtail=braid when I grew up. It meant a single, fairly short braid like you'd see on a periwig, but pigtail def. meant a braided tail.
    Hmm, I guess it is regional. Where I grew up, a pigtail just meant a short tail, sometimes one that had been deliberately curled (to look more like a real pig's tail, I assume). Usually they'd come in pairs, high up on either side of the head -- therefore they were mostly called "pigtails" in the plural. A ponytail was a larger tail, and usually single, at the back of the head.

Pigtails were usually worn by little girls but not always. Sometimes they were braided but not usually. So when I hear "pigtail" I think of a high, unbraided, short ponytail. Yay regional differences.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

The Cadogan Hotel was where Oscar Wilde was arrested...

"Mr Wilde we have come for to take you
    Where thieves and criminals dwell
    We must ask you to come quietly
    For this is the Cadogan Hotel"
    John Betjamin
    "Always better to not fight. But if must fight...win"
    Mr Miyagi

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

The 18th century man's Cadogan wig

More hairstyles and hats from the same period:
    http://gallery.villagehatshop.com/gallery/chapter11
    Last edited by serious; March 28th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Better late than never !

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

"Emily, with skirts a fraction longer and her hair clubbed up so high in the "Cadogan Braid" of those days, that it really was almost "up", was back in Shrewsbury for her Junior year..."
    And
    The 18th century man's Cadogan wig
    I don't think it's a french braid. If you look at the picture in the first link Serious posted, you'll see that the queue is folded up and tied, or clubbed. I suspect Emily's braid was folded and tied in such a way that it was essentially a low bun on the nape of her neck.

ETA: Yep, definitely a clubbed queue, look at the rest of the Cadogan picture links. The hair is clearly folded and tied. (The clearest viewis on page three, top righthand side of the page, on the second link posted by Serious.

Oh, and ponytails were always loose hair (often, but not always, high on the head) and you would wear either one or two of them. Pigtails were braids, usually two but could be one. I always thought they were called pigtails because, if you follow any of the strands in the braid, they're wiggly, like a pig's tail. Could be regional, I'm from Southern California with a mom from the Midwest; so it might be from either of those places. (Or both!)
    Last edited by rusika1; March 28th, 2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: looked at some more links...
    erika
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Fascinating!
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

I know we've had this discussion before, but to me pigtails always meant two braids (like I'm wearing right now). And yes, I'm from the Midwest.

Although to me I guess "pigtails" always had the connotation of two braids on a little girl...on an adult it would just be called "two braids." But maybe that's because adults rarely wear two braids (probably BECAUSE they're considered little-girl-ish--even now I wonder if I should, esp. since I spend so much time bemoaning how young I look, I probably ought not to be helping), or because nobody would want to describe an adult woman as wearing "pigtails."
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    ear/33.75/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I thought I'd enter the side discussion. Where I'm from:

'A ponytail' is one single tail gathered high or low, it can be center back, or on the side, but it is singular. When braided, it is a 'braided ponytail'.

'Pigtails' are two ponytails on either side and can be oriented high or low, they can be short or long, straight or curly. They can also be braided, becoming, wait for it, 'braided pigtails'.

'Braids' or more accurately 'twin braids' are two braids. Not getting into the different styles of braids.

The main thing differentiating 'braided pigtails' from 'twin braids' for me is that braided pigtails have the against-the-scalp elastic or tie.

Length
    shldr/BSL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Thanks, everyone for their contributions and chiming in to help solve this puzzle.

Wow, it's great to get answers from people from different parts of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuchen View Post
    Oh no! I wrote a long reply about catogan and cadogan and cadogan teapots and now it's lost. I think the French explanation is best - a simple corruption turned it from catogan to cadogan. And a lady would have avoided loose hair, hence it became a braid.
    After reading everyone's response, I believe Kuchen's response above gives a simple summary and resolution.

To further elaborate:

Emily, the character in the book, said it was a braid from "those days", so it may have very well been the case she modified the "Cadogan" to have a braid so as to be appropriate for that time, region and gender; and then folded it up multiple times (or as the author says "clubbed it").

Quote Originally Posted by celelu View Post
    My DBF, who's a eighteenth-century freak, always wears his APL hair in a low ponytail, held by a black silk ribbon he calls, in french, Catogan. There's an article on the french Wikipedia that seems to make order in the ideas that were brought here, let's see if I can translate it properly:

Le catogan est un noeud utilisé pour attacher les cheveux en une coiffure ramassée sur la nuque. Par extension, il désigne une coiffure où les cheveux sont attachés et ramassés sur la nuque. Le mot fut créé au xviiie siècle, à partir de Cadhogan, nom du général et comte anglais qui mit cette coiffure à la mode.
    Au xviiie siècle, en Europe, le catogan semble avoir la forme d'une queue de cheval basse, très courante chez les soldats, les domestiques...
    En Asie, très porté et ses sens sont très divers.
    Actuellement, le mot catogan est plutôt utilisé pour désigner une sorte de large chignon bas.

The Catogan in a knot used to tie hair into an updo brought togheter on the nape. By extension, it can refer to that updo. The word was created in the eighteenth century, from Cadhogan, name of the English general and count that brought this hair setting into fashion.
    In the eighteenth century, in Europe, the catogan seems to have the shape of a low ponytail, very common among soldiers, servants...
    Nowadays, the word catogan refers mostly to a kind of wide low bun.

HTH!
    Thanks for the translation celelu. It was helpful to see the historical background as well as how the word is used today -- in order to understand what the author in the book may have meant.

By the way, that's cool your DBF wears a black satin ribbon around a low ponytail. I admire a guy who can pull that off!

Quote Originally Posted by dropinthebucket View Post
    Someone needs to tell Jessica Simpson about this ... I think she believes she "invented" hair extensions!
    LOL. Right?!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    The Cadogan Hotel was where Oscar Wilde was arrested...

"Mr Wilde we have come for to take you
    Where thieves and criminals dwell
    We must ask you to come quietly
    For this is the Cadogan Hotel"
    John Betjamin
    Nice quote! The historical article was an interesting read, too.

Thank you to everyone!

Skay

Regarding pigtails, ponytails, braids, etc. terminology, check out these Archived Posts/Polls:

The Pigtail Poll

PIGtails? PONYtails?!

How do you call that?
    Last edited by skay; March 29th, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More text under "elaborate" section, fix editorial mistakes