Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Clubbed" hair

Length
    pixie/28/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default "Clubbed" hair

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi/fantasy books and I often run into references about men in these books who have long hair that they keep in a "club" at the nape of their neck. I've tried and tried to find something online about what that might be, but all I get is Hair Club for Men. Help! Does anyone know what a club is and how to do it?
    Proud member of the Renegrays Gang

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: "Clubbed" hair

It's basically a folded ponytail, mostly worn by soldiers to keep hair out of the way. Here's a forum topic that I found that has pictures in the response: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=81832

ETA: I'm reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, so I'm encountering a lot of clubbed hair in my reading, too!

Length
    pixie/28/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

As popular a hair style as this is for men in fiction, it's damnably hard to find any pictures of it on real live people! My husband's hair is long enough that, unless it actually looks really girly, this might be a great style for him in addition to the queue, which I've done for him on occasion.
    Proud member of the Renegrays Gang

Length
    SL/short/??
    Type
    3a/M/C/iii

I always thought it was just a tight bun at the nape of the neck.

Currently reading the Kushiel's Legacy series, and Joscelin's a character who's described as wearing his hair in a club much of the time. At least in the first book.

Account Closed by Member Request

I am now snickering at the *Hair Club for Men* reference, when you said *Clubbed Hair* I wondered if someone just took a bat/club to their hair and whipped it into a style, insted of using a comb/brush.

I now know what clubbed hair is!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Interesting! I've never come across this phrase before, talking about hair.

I don't think I read books set in the right era...mine are a bit too futuristic.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I suppose this is one of the advantages of having a father whose hobby is military uniforms. Thanks for the link, I'll send it on to him because he's always looking for details. Although I'm trying to work out how those this mitre hats kept their hair up.

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

So I tried this yesterday for my kettlebell workout, and it's surprisingly stable and comfortable. I slept with my hair clubbed last night and it's stayed the neatest of any sleep hairstyle I've tried. I may try it for running today or tomorrow.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

My husband wears his hair clubbed when we reenact (18th century, british army). It holds like a rock, doesn't pull in odd places, and also keeps the hair on the nape of the neck from tangling too badly. To do it, I simply wrap the hair around my hand until I've wrapped all the the length (he has enough for 2 1/2 turns), I pull the "tail" in to the center of the loop, and then put an elastic around the loop, in the middle of the loop (it looks like a sideways "bow" when done). For reenacting, I cover the center of the club (with the hair elastic) with a black silk ribbon, just wrapped around to cover the elastic and then tied into a small bow. For just knocking about the house, I leave it as is.

I wear it myself sometimes. It's a great, non-girly style that's comfortable to wear and doesn't scream "spinster librarian" the way a bee-butt or other type of standard bun can.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ??/36.5/53
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

This is very interesting! I've seen these hairstyles in movies.

I love to see historical hairstyles and learn how to reproduce them. . .I like to wear men's long hairstyles myself.