Thread: Still have coconut oil in my hair - do I shampoo before henna?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Still have coconut oil in my hair - do I shampoo before henna?

Quick Question.. I did an overnight Coconut Oiling for several nights in a row, and had been CO washing it out just fine in the morning. It hadn't been too oily until today. ( I geuss I reached saturation).

Well today, my hair is soft, but strigy and slightly oily. Do you think that might affect my dye uptake?

Should I leave it and consider it as protection since I used pure lemon juice to mix my henna?

Shampoo and apply henna on damp hair?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Laura

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Still have coconut oil in my hair - do I shampoo before henna?

Quote Originally Posted by PeacenQuietGal View Post
    Well today, my hair is soft, but strigy and slightly oily. Do you think that might affect my dye uptake?

Should I leave it and consider it as protection since I used pure lemon juice to mix my henna?

Shampoo and apply henna on damp hair?
    Yes, oil will affect the dye uptake. I believe this is one of the reasons LUSH hennas are often reported to give a weaker stain, because they come mixed with cocoa butter and other things.

I usually find henna easier to apply on damp hair, but that's really up to you and your preferences. It won't affect the colour either way.
    Last edited by Marianne; March 19th, 2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Fixing typo.
    ??/waist/??
    Products: Terressentials, MM shampoos, honey, jojoba oil, shea butter, henna.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Well, I'm going to do a root only application, but it sounds like I should probably shampoo first.

Dirn, I was feeling lazy like just chillin in my P.J.'s with my henna on, but, it's two showers for this girl!!

Thank you Marianne!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

So, I shampoo'ed 3 times using Johnson's baby Shampoo.

I had mixed up 100grams of Celebration henna with undiluted lemon juice.

This gave me enough to do my roots, plus three baggies to freeze for glosses later,

AND enough left in my bowl so that I can mix it with White Rain Coconut conditioner and do a gloss to my "length".

I figure I'll let my henna go another hour or so and then I will apply the gloss mix to "length" and let that stay for an hour.

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Can I add a question to your question? My hair is still the length you see in my avatar, so the trick for me is keeping the henna off my length when I'm doing roots-only. I usually henna overnight, so by morning it always seems to leach down the strand. This eventually gives me a darker henna result on my length than I'd like, so I end up doing a Sun-In treatment every couple months or so to keep it coppery rather than burgundy. I've thought that perhaps doing a coconut oil treatment on my length before putting henna on the roots would give me the best of both worlds - any thoughts on this concept?

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Yea, I just threw some henna on this morning but before I did I scrubbed the bottom with baking soda (I don't like shampoo) a few times because I had just put coconut oil on it a few days ago. Why did I do that? I knew I was hennaing this weekend....

Still sitting here with goop on my head.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I usually henna overnight, so by morning it always seems to leach down the strand.
    CrissDee I experieced this very thing with my henna gloss yesterday- not while sleeping, but when awake sitting at the computer. I geuss i mixed the gloss too runny trying to get enough volume of it to cover my length - it was streaming down my neck anytime I moved a muscle! Had to sit with a towel around my neck.

And, yes it is a tad dark today all over. Sheesh i better get good at this since this was only my first root application.

I think your logic is good though for minimizing dye uptake on the length though, and next month when I henna my roots, I will oil the length and post my results.

What is the worst that could happen? Not much I think because it can all be glossed over with no harm done right? Right!

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

CrisDee, I am roots-only glossing today. I will go ahead and try the experiment of oiling the length during the process and report back on how it works.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

OK, I'm done. I shampooed with VO5 kiwi clarifying shampoo, oiled the crap out of the ends and braided them up, and applied the henna gloss to roots only. Here are the results:

So, as you can see, the roots-only gloss was a success. I don't know, honestly, if it was because of the coconut oil on the length, or if it was because the length was braided, or if it was because my gloss was very thick and didn't drip, or a combination of the three, but my experience is that putting coconut oil on the length did not adversely affect the henna glossing, and may have helped.

Hope that helps!
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Thanks, MM - I will definitely try oiling the length next time. I make my mix pretty thick, I think it's because I sleep on it (and also because my hair's only just past shoulder length) that it squishes down onto the ends. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.