Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My mom just commented on my hairstyle...

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: My mom just commented on my hairstyle...

i kinda agree with her. Loose hair has that movement and sexiness to it that none of the buns have. Of course there are some very cute and impressive buns out there, but "free" hair is the most appealing way to wear long hair IMO.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by VenusHalley View Post
    "wear your hair down, guys and men like it. Don't wear your teacher-buns all the time"

btw, I never had a teacher who wore updos. I had few young ones just out of school - all their manes down (and too much make up and shorter skirts than average High school student).
    That's funny. It's true, though. I think sometimes we forget to just let all our hair down and enjoy it. It's nice when men like it too, but I like my own hair.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Most people around me have hair that's short enough that wearing it down all the time is no problem. When I see someone with some kind of braid or bun, I'm intrigued because I don't see them that often. I also think it's cool because it makes me feel a bit less socially isolated.

Maybe it's just because I have long hair too, and I know that wearing it down all the time isn't practical once it gets to a certain length.

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

My mom told me that I look like Cher with my hair down. I don't believe it was meant to be a compliment. It's getting "weirdly long." I was like, "Thanks Mom."

I think it all depends on the guy. Down can be pretty, but my SO likes it when it's up as well because he says that it shows off my "graceful" neck as well (lol, I am anything but graceful).

My SO loves my hair no matter what, but he's been especially fond of my tiny braids.
    Open hair tends to have a graceful, swingy, feminine appearance which naturally is more appealing to most men then up-dos.

ETA: And I've never had a teacher comment about any bun I've worn but I've definitely had the "I wonder what would happen if we pull the hairstick out" experience in a restaurant a few months ago.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

my husband actually always compliments me when I wear my hair up... he says it looks nice Maybe he's only saying it because he knows I'm a little self-conscious to wear it up in public because I think my face is a bit fat for that...

Anyhow, it's nice to know that he's supportive of me wearing it up.

I also agree with what was said about loose hair being romantic looking, but I think that a nice non-aggressive updo can be really romantic too.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I wear my hair up a lot more now that is getting longer than it has been in quite a while, and it does make me look older, and I don't care!
    I have a big face, a fat chin and rosacea/acne scars, not the most attractive face to wear pulled back hair, but again, don't care!
    This is me, and my face with all it's flaws, like it or not, it is what it is. If men don't like my hair this way, too bad for them, their loss, not mine. (I am single) I go with the saying on this board that "I am not here to decorate your world"
    I do like the way I look with my hair down, but that is not always an option on between wash days, windy days, days when I have running around to do and can't be bothered with combing it every 5 minutes so it doesn't look all frazzled.
    I am leaning all the time more intricate updos and braids as the hair gets longer, and they can be so beautiful, people look at you and wonder how in the world did you do that!?

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by VenusHalley View Post
    "wear your hair down, guys and men like it. Don't wear your teacher-buns all the time"
    Guys *and* men? What's the difference?

I don't really get this "men like this or that, so you need to do this or that" rationale. First off, men are people - they have their own likes and dislikes. (I haven't found the "all men prefer long hair" thing true, either, no matter how many friends have tried to drill it into me.)
    Second, I dislike the implied message that a woman's first priority should be men's approval.