Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Return of the "Hair Survey (if you're bored)" Thread

LHC name: Lady Winchester

Current hair length: mid back length

Goal hair length: waist length

When did you start growing your hair? After finishing chemo; before that, since I got out of high school, since I used to dye it a lot and it never grew past shoulder length (probably too damaged)

What is your average monthly growth rate? have no idea, so it's probably pretty average, perhaps more in the summer months

Do you trim your hair, if so how often? My Mom trims my hair, between six months and a year and a half (had to wait twice as long when I had to grow it back from losing it from chemo)

What supplements do you take? Multi Vitamin 50+, Odorless Garlic, Vitamin C, Vitamin E 400 & Calcium & D3

Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc? None for hair growth, lactose free products to ease my lactose intolerance (which is pretty mild, since I don't even take medication for it)

Do you do scalp massages? Nope

What is your favourite shampoo? Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 Dry Scalp Shampoo & Conditioner

What is your favourite conditioner? See answer to above question

Favourite leave-in conditioner? None

Favourite deep conditioner or treatment? None

What are your favourite basic oils? None

What are your favourite essential oils? None

What is your favourite product of all time? Don't really have one

What is your least favourite product of all time? Fructis anti dandruff shampoo (didn't work as well as Head & Shoulders, so I switched back)

Is there anything you would never put on your hair? (-cones/quats etc) oils and deep conditioners (doesn't really need it)

What do you like most about your hair? The length and natural curl

What do you like least about your hair? It can get frizzy if I sleep with it wet and it might have gotten a bit coarser after coming back from chemo

Do you colour your hair? Nope, but I did in high school (black, blonde, brown) and won't again until I go gray/white, since it would totally wash me out, but I'll be using Natural Instincts in Medium Golden Brown (which is the closest to my current color)

Do you clarify? Nope

How often do you wash your hair? Once a week, sometimes twice

How long does it take to dry? it varies, depending on what I'm doing with it

Do you prefer you hair up or down? Back in a ponytail, secured at the nape of my neck with either a covered elastic or big barrette

What is your favourite updo? Don't have one

Bangs or no bangs? No bangs, since I have naturally curly hair which would make them stick out too much

Whose hair at LHC do you aspire to? Nobody's. My style is my own, not copied or inspired by anyone else's

Do you keep a hair journal? Nope, I don't keep any kind of journal, hair related or otherwise. I prefer to role play or write fan fiction stories, but I can do that online

How many hairtoys do you own? no idea, but the most I have are covered elastics and various sizes of hair claw clips

What is your favourite hairtoy? Don't really have one, but I used to prefer a dolphin shaped hair clip (unfortunately, I don't have it anymore, since I either lost it or it broke)

Brush or comb? brush. I have a plastic bristle brush with matching comb

Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc? Not as much as I used to, since I mostly just let it air dry (I used to blow dry it all of the time, but I only do this occasionally)

Do you make/sell any hair care products? nope

What is the last hair-related thing that you bought? a plastic hair barrette (it was ages ago and I just recently started using it)

What’s your favourite kind of cheese? any lactose free kind, since I'm lactose intolerant (it's pretty mild, since I don't even take medication for it)

Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one: Some of my classmates in middle school tried to convince me I had spiders in my hair (don't you think I would have felt it if that were true) probably because they were jealous that my hair was prettier than theirs (this stopped once I entered junior high)

Say one nice thing about the person who posted before you: They use a lot more hair products than I do (or ever will)
    Last edited by Lady Winchester; September 11th, 2023 at 03:02 AM.
    No friend requests, please. I won't accept them
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

LHC name: Ylva

Current hair length: Now just past hip, recently cut from between mid-thigh and knee

Goal hair length: I'm not sure. I'd like to explore terminal at some point, but for now, I'm enjoying easy-going hair and not thinking about length!

When did you start growing your hair?

Consciously in late 2017, but I had already had long hair (hip+) for many years at that point.

What is your average monthly growth rate?

Something pretty average. When I used to measure, I would mostly get 1.2 cm.

Do you trim your hair, if so how often?

I don't have a set schedule. I trimmed my hair twice a year for a while, but last year, I trimmed it only once. Now, I'm thinking I will go in for a trim twice a year again - my hairdresser also dusts all of my hair at the same time.

What supplements do you take?

Electrolytes, curcumine, and vit. D + K2, but that's for general health, not just hair.

Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc?

I eat very healthy for general health, including hair.

Do you do scalp massages?

Kind of when I shampoo my scalp.

What is your favourite shampoo?

My scalp adores Garnier Fructis Aloe Hydra Bomb.

What is your favourite conditioner?

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration & Garnier Fructis Hair Food Papaya (mask). However, with my hair now being 95% virgin, it's pretty chill when it comes to conditioners.

Favourite leave-in conditioner?

L'Oréal Paris Elvital Extraordinary Oil Oil-in-Cream & Garnier Fructis Aloe Air-Dry Cream (the latter mostly for the scent). However, this information may be slightly out of date as I have very little experience with leave-ins on my "new" (natural) hair. I mostly go without, but have also gotten some good results with silicone serums (alone). This needs more testing, however.

Favourite deep conditioner or treatment?

Garnier Fructis Hair Food Papaya. I've not really tried others on my virgin hair.

What are your favourite basic oils?

I've oiled my virgin hair only once so far - that was with olive oil. I need to do more testing in this area.

What are your favourite essential oils?

I don't use any right now.

What is your favourite product of all time?

I'm not sure. Perhaps the shampoo I mentioned above.

What is your least favourite product of all time?

Organic Shop Avocado & Honey Hair Mask. My bleached hair was better off with no conditioner at all than this.

Is there anything you would never put on your hair? (-cones/quats etc)

I guess bleach and peroxide-containing colour. I'm not completely opposed to clay lightening but feel no desire to have that done at this point. I avoid products with methyl(chloro)isothiazolinone because I'm allergic to it. However, I'm willing to wash my lengths with products containing that if I must...

What do you like most about your hair?

It's mine! It's looks like me: it's crazy, frizzy, it makes me look like a crazy scientist at times. Also, it's pretty easy-going - but that might just be because I'm really not fussed over how it looks.

What do you like least about your hair?

My bleached ends.

Do you colour your hair?

Not anymore, but I have some bleached hair left.

Do you clarify?

Yes, every few washes, so something like once a week.

How often do you wash your hair?

Mostly every or every other day.

How long does it take to dry?

I'm not sure at the moment, but several hours, still.

Do you prefer you hair up or down?

Up for convenience, but I don't much care for the bun look on myself. However, as I've learned to make messier, more relaxed-looking buns, I've become more tolerant towards them.

What is your favourite updo?

The lazy wrap bun because that's all I do.

Bangs or no bangs?

No bangs for me, my skin gets very oily, but I have mild face-framing layers right now and plan to get more.

Whose hair at LHC do you aspire to?

There are many people here with amazing hair, but at this point, I will just focus on being myself instead of comparing myself to anyone. My hair is what it is, anyway, it's not like a skill I can develop by looking up to someone as my idol.

Do you keep a hair journal?

Not anymore. I used to keep a hair wash log in the LHC blog.

How many hairtoys do you own?

Maybe around 15, but I actively use only a couple.

What is your favourite hairtoy?

A basic metal stick.

Brush or comb?

Brush (Tangle Teezer with a handle). I don't get the comb hype, but that's alright.

Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc?

I am not opposed to blowdryers as long as they're used reasonably, but the last time I used one on my own hair was in June 2018. A hairdresser last used one on my hair in August 2019. I'm very lazy about stuff like that, and I find that my hair gets frizzy anyway if I dry it with a blowdryer, but I am going to experiment with creating big, 80s-inspired hairstyles again using a blowdryer.

Do you make/sell any hair care products?

I've made shampoo and oil mixes for family members and some friends years ago.

What is the last hair-related thing that you bought?

I don't remember, probably a cheap clear sulfate shampoo for my scalp.

What’s your favourite kind of cheese?

I love many types of cheese, but let's say skyr this time.

Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one:

When I once had highlights put in by a hairdresser, she was quite obviously not very used to handling long hair. My hair became awfully tangled in the sink, and she kept ripping the brush through, starting from the root, and it would get stuck around ear-length. She kept ripping, hair kept gathering on the brush, my scalp was very sore. I commented on how much hair was coming off and she chuckled it off. On top of everything, I had requested a colour close to my natural one so I would have an easy time growing my hair out, but she dyed it way too dark.

Say one nice thing about the person who posted before you:

That's a cute cat on your avatar.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

LHC name: ETJ CURLS

Current hair length: MBL

Goal hair length: My immediate goal is waist, because then I'll feel like I have long hair again, but eventually knee. And I only really want to stop there because I'm not sure if I could properly care for it at a longer length than that.

When did you start growing your hair? Intentionally? This year. It was “long” before, but very damaged from improper haircare, so I've spent the last few years chopping off unhealthy hair, and now I finally feel like I can start properly growing it out.

What is your average monthly growth rate? About .4 inches a month.

Do you trim your hair, if so how often? I'd like to get on a 2x a year schedule, but I've recently been hacking away at damage every other month or so, so since August I've decided to hold out until Christmas.

What supplements do you take? Iron. I think being deficient was a big reason why my hair used to stop at shoulder length before I figured out what I was missing.

Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc? Not really. I just try to eat healthy, especially organic, whenever I can. Lots of fruits, veggies and meat.

Do you do scalp massages? Whenever I'm shampooing.

What is your favourite shampoo? Right now it's the Design Essentials Honey Moisturising shampoo.

What is your favourite conditioner? The Design Essentials Rosemary and Mint Conditioner.

Favourite leave-in conditioner? I don't have one, but I most frequently reach for the TGIN Green Tea leave-in. It does the job.

Favourite deep conditioner or treatment? Probably Olaplex 3. It helps to keep my highlights intact. Their purple shampoo is pretty good too.

What are your favourite basic oils? I stay away from raw oils and use Silk Elements serums instead.

What are your favourite essential oils?
    Probably Tea Tree oil. I don't really use it, I just like the smell.

What is your favourite product of all time? My favourite WAS the Shea Moisture coconut conditioner, but between the formula change and me discovering my hair DOES NOT like coconut oil, I've had to give it up. :

What is your least favourite product of all time? The dang relaxer. Broke my WL hair right off to my shoulder as a teen.

Is there anything you would never put on your hair? (-cones/quats etc) 1. Relaxer or any other permanent straightening/(curling) treatment. 2. Sun-in. I've learned my lesson the hard way. 3. Raw oils. Me and them do not get along.

What do you like most about your hair? My coils! Having an afro was a teenage dream, and I finally figured it out last year.

What do you like least about your hair? The colour probably. I was naturally blonde as a kid, and I still can't get used to brunette.

Do you colour your hair? I do blonde highlights about once a year.

Do you clarify? Every so often, if I feel my hair needs it.

How often do you wash your hair? 1-2x a week. I don't always detangle though.

How long does it take to dry? Depends. In a confined style, (braided, twisted, or bunned) it takes 40 days and 40 nights. (12-24 hours) If I wear my hair loose (in a WnG) about 4 hours from fully wet to fully dry. In the summer.

Do you prefer you hair up or down? Half-Up Half-Down. Best of both worlds.

What is your favourite updo? French Twist, but with the ends sticking out instead of tucked in. There's likely a proper name for that style, but I don't know it.

Bangs or no bangs? I have (a little longer than) chin-length curtain bangs currently, but I'm trying to let them grow to at least CBL before chopping them again.

Whose hair at LHC do you aspire to? Anybody with healthy knee-length hair.

Do you keep a hair journal? Yes and no. I don't really write down much about my hair, but I make videos and take lots of style/progress photos.

How many hairtoys do you own? Quite a few. They are spilling out of the drawer I've assigned them.

What is your favourite hairtoy? My Lilla Rose Flexiclip. It's a pretty silver and adorned with a treble clef!

Brush or comb? Comb 99% of the time, but the brush comes in handy for slick-back styles.

Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc? I recently invested in the revair, and have been experimenting with the flat iron on my bangs here and there.

Do you make/sell any hair care products? I do not.

What is the last hair-related thing that you bought? A flower chainish clip sort of piece.

What’s your favourite kind of cheese? Pepper Jack Cheese!

Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one: Once, as a child, my little sibling cut off a chunk of my hair while it was in pigtail braids, and while I was moderately upset at the time, I really thought nothing off it, because while it was cut at the root, the rest of it was still tucked into the braid. So it looked fine. It wasn't until my mom came to do my hair sometime later (probably 2-4 weeks or so on), that she was horrified to discover my hair was falling out in chunks while undoing the braid. It grew back of course.

Say one nice thing about the person who posted before you: I think it's very cool that you're in a band, Ylva!
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

I feel like I've answered this before but oh what the hell! The answers are gonna be different anyway bc I have the memory of a goldfish lol

LHC name: cadaverinna

Current hair length: waist

Goal hair length: no goal but my sweet spot is between hip and TBL

When did you start growing your hair? the latest "turn" was since about may 2023

What is your average monthly growth rate? 1,5-2cm

Do you trim your hair, if so how often? I check if it needs attention every 3 months, then it depends on the state of the ends

What supplements do you take? none

Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc? no

Do you do scalp massages? yes, regardless if they actually work or not bc it feels good lol I use a gua sha comb when dry or my fingers w some oil on wash day

What is your favourite shampoo? I don't have one that I'd go as far as call "favourite"

What is your favourite conditioner? I don't use conditioners! I always do a deep treatment

Favourite leave-in conditioner? Also don't have a favourite

Favourite deep conditioner or treatment? Olaplex step 3 or Bond Angel(Braé) powerdose

What are your favourite basic oils? castor, grapeseed, jojoba, coconut, olive, squalane

What are your favourite essential oils? lavender, lavandin, peppermint, clove leaf, pink peppercorn, geranium

What is your favourite product of all time? Inoar's Sensitine cleansing conditioner

What is your least favourite product of all time? don't have one

Is there anything you would never put on your hair? only when it comes to chemical stuff, then there's things like red or blue dyes(awful to remove) and chemical straightening treatments(no use for me anyway, my hair is already straight)

What do you like most about your hair? the colour and the thickness(wish I had even more lol)

What do you like least about your hair? that I did a butterfly haircut a few months ago and now I'm afraid it might thin out my ends too much as it grows

Do you colour your hair? I get highlights every few years

Do you clarify? not exactly. I go sulfate-free so the few instances I use my mum's sulfate-laden shampoo counts as clarifying for me lol

How often do you wash your hair? when I feel it needs to be cleansed, usually around 1x/week

How long does it take to dry?

Do you prefer you hair up or down?

What is your favourite updo? crown braids!!

Bangs or no bangs? bangs, always

Whose hair at LHC do you aspire to? can't remember their name lol I think they're from Israel and their hair is similar to mine but lighter

Do you keep a hair journal? no

How many hairtoys do you own? more than 10, less than 20

What is your favourite hairtoy? my wooden moon by WoodBerryArt

Brush or comb? brush! Tangle teezers and similar stuff

Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc? yes, mostly the blow out brush, and sometimes a curling iron

Do you make/sell any hair care products? I used to

What is the last hair-related thing that you bought? a silicone-y serum

Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one: not about my hair specifically, but when I was in hair school I had an older model who was a bit too demanding for someone getting a haircut from a student. She wasn't too trusty about getting that haircut, so when I asked how much she wanted off she said a bit less than what she wanted. I didn't know that, so I just gave her the haircut and blew it out. When it was done, she looked in the mirror, shook her head approving the job, and said "oh, you're good. You can cut another 2cm now". Unbelievable.
    My instructor came up and said that if she wanted more off after I was done she'd have to pay for another cut just to get her out of there lol

Say one nice thing about the person who posted before you: I see ETJ CURLS is new here, hope they have fun!
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).