Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasty hair comment :(

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Nasty hair comment :(

I went into uni today and bumped into a girl I'm not particularly fond of on my course. She's usually very bitchy about anyone who might steal the spotlight from her. I try and be nice whenever I can, but I feel it's a losing battle. I just want a quiet life so I can work in peace, but she always insists on coming over to my studio space and making comments.

Anyway, today she came over, I said hi and asked how her holiday went. She replied with "Oh G**, you've got brown hair. How dull and boring, it's not even a nice brown." I got rid of the pink early January so I'm not sure why this came as a surprise to her.

So I let my hair down as it was in a lazy wrap to try and show her it wasn't brown but more auburn, and hints of copper and red in the sunlight. To which she said "It's in such terrible condition, you should really leave your hair alone. A good few chops should sort most of it out. But stop dying it every week, it looks terrible."
    For a start I have never dyed it every week, in fact it's not been touched in over a month now I think colour wise. And it can't be in that bad a condition. I know it's not great as the nasty layers have all split, but they're improving and hopefully I'll grow them out.

It makes me doubt my own opinion of my hair. Maybe she's being truthful and just everyone else has said nice things to try and cheer me up. I just want to cry. I'm not having a great time of things as it is. Don't need to feel any more insecure about my hair.

Plus when I try to take photos of my hair, due to odd lighting conditions and a lack of decent sized mirrors in well lit parts of the house, they just come out looking horrible. Plus my hair looks barely hip bone length and shorter than in pictures taken in November. It should be tailbone, just feels like it's getting shorter. Perhaps the camera's lying. I hope so.

Anyone have any constructive criticism. Is she just being a bitch or is there some truth to her comments?

On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Nasty hair comment :(

Wow. What a [insert nasty word here]. Honestly, if you think you need to cut rather than trim out damage as it grows, that's your choice, but don't doubt yourself because some jerk decided to show off what a jerk she is to you.

Response to uber-*****: "Well, I'd rather have boring hair than a tiresome personality."

Length
    12/33/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

There's nothing wrong with the way your hair looks. Word of advice from an old woman: never give creedance to things that rude people say. They're usually looking out to make someone feel bad, it makes them feel good.
    current:hip 33"
    1st goal: waist 32"
    2nd goal tailbone 37" (40'' wet)

Blah... dont take it to heart! I can see the red in your hair, and i think the color looks great. I love your length too, and it doesnt look damaged to me.

I was watching Mean Girls over the weekend and this girl reminds me of Regina George. Some people like to pick on others, and some my not even realize what they are saying...

Sorry you had to deal with that.

Account Closed by Member Request

I think you have lovely hair, and it looks solid tailbone length to me.

Length
    16/28BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Ignore her - your hair looks great! and its only going to get better with good care. The colour is definitely auburn, and lovely - she is being a douchebag

She sounds like a miserable little thing who just needs to back-handedly put people down to feel good about herself. Gross.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thanks guys. Just having a bad time of things, so her comments were the last thing I needed.
    It's hard enough having to move from vivid pink hair to a more natural colour. Especially as I've gone cone free so the dye damage is more noticeable. Feels like someone's chopped a limb off now it's no longer bright pink. I'll gradually build up to a more reddish colour with henna, but I know my hair needs rest.

I know I shouldn't have taken her comments to heart, her hair is a mess from bad dye jobs, so who's she to talk. Still makes me feel rubbish though, as previously I was feeling quite good about my hair. Self esteem is a fragile thing unfortunately.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

It looks in great condition to me! The colour looks the same as mine and I have had loads of compliments. Don't take on other peoples issues. They could be a thousand reasons why she said what she said, but its not your problem whatever her motivation. I suspect she has her own agenda. I envy your length....

Length
    BSL/BCL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I'm totaly jealous of your hair, it's beautiful! Please don't listen to that girl =(

Type
    1a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post

Response to uber-*****: "Well, I'd rather have boring hair than a tiresome personality."
    Hehe, right on!

And BelleBot, totally ignore her... your hair is so pretty! Look at that shine in the third picture! <hugs> Your hair is gorgeous, and it makes you happy... so don't let anyone get you down.