Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

Default new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

tl;dr: guy welder with long hair want to know if there are women welders (or other male welders with long hair) here, and possibly discuss methods of covering his/her/my hair.

background:

Hi, I've been searching for a while for a long hair community to get tips and so forth. Apparently, there just isn't so many long hair men that want to get together and talk about hair

anyway, I've had long hair before, and this is my second growth. The first time it went down to mid thigh (i'm about 5'10"). I got tired of it, so I donated the hair to some cancer org that makes wigs for kids.

for a few years, I shave it every month or so to keep it really short.

Then I begin to miss my long hair. so i grew it out again, from totally shaved. 18 months later, its now just past the arm pit (or bra strap, i suppose, except i dont wear bras i'm a guy). about the same time i started to let my hair grow, i've picked up welding and metal working as a hobby. it was fine at first, as my hair wasn't that long, but now its starting to become a problem. 1400-2000 degree heat and long hair just doesn't quite mix all that well.

Adding that i have absolutely no talent in braiding my own hair doesn't help either. I could ask my wife to braid it, but, everyday? that's gotta get old even for a loving spouse.

I wear "Head sweats" and tuck all my hair under it for now.

what do you do to cover your hair completely, when you need to?

Northern Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, etc.
    Length
    13/25/30
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

Buns? Even simple ones that basically go twist hair + slap elastic on it? Hairstick buns may or may not stay well depending on your hair type. Practice braiding in your spare time, it's not too hard! And at only APL-BSL a ponytail might even be enough to keep it out of your way.

Current: BSL | Goal: Waist | Blog | Albums

Length
    ??/TB/40"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Hey there

I have welded in the past, but am primarily a jeweller/metalsmith now, though getting into blacksmithing.

I think the bandana/hair tucking is the only real way to do it for maximum protection against those sparks that go flying everywhere. Maybe put it in a low bun to keep the ends in. Also, since welding and torches etc is hot work, you'll want to keep an eye on your hair's moisture so it's not getting all dry and crispy! To be honest, when I was welding I didn't wear a bandana, but just a ponytail and tucked it into the back of my welding coat, though I was afraid for it. I would take better care now though.

Hope that helped!

Account Closed by Member Request

former MIG/TIG welder here. My hair was not at my current length way back when, but I do remember wearing my hair in a braid or bun. Sometimes, I might have worn a ball cap backward too after bringing the end up and tucking it under the hat.

Welcome, though

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Hubby (when he welded and had long hair) just used a beanie type hat under his welding helmet. Pile it up in the beanie, put on welding helmet and get to it!

I;m not sure if this will work for you or not.

They also make spiffy leather ponytail holder usualy sold at the motorcycle shops. They are a strip of leather with a hook to hold the elastic and snaps down the length, meant to hold the tail of a ponytail. I think they are called hairgloves or some such thingy.

holy cow, i thought it was gonna be a loooooooooooooooong shot. within 10 minutes, two welders chimed in. I do mostly tig with some mig thrown in. I don't do a lot of gas welding, and don't stick weld at all. For those who aren't familiar with welding and metal fabrication, there's a lot of sparks (little specks of molten metal) flying around. Once i only wear my welding mask, but got some sparks on the top of my head and burned off a few hairs.

will definitely try the bandana.
    i've given up braiding my own hair.

my wife did this for me a few months ago

ug, i can't edit my post. sorry for the HUGE PIC.
    here's a more reasonable version

CindyLea1, thats what i do for now (beanie/tuck). for motorcycling, i just put a bunch of scrunchies on to prevent knotting.
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 10th, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: merge 3 posts

Oh, yes it is Friday, we have nothing else better to do that wait at the door and pounce on the first thing that comes in the door

I love your wife's braid she does a good job I think she's a keeper!!

So, even though this pic was a few years ago; with the chops, you are probably close to this length right? And is this photo accurate for your current style too IE no layers? If yes, you can manage a English braid (basic 3 strand at your nape). I don't see why you couldn't do that one yourself. It will take some practice, though, but certainly doable. Ponytail then braid, then tie off the end may be a good option too until you are used to finger placement.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I think I remember that Nightshade does welding? You might pm her.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    19/29.5/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You can always try a sock bun + beanie. Sock buns might seem silly, but they are easy and reliable and will pull those loose ends out of the way. When my hair was a bit shorter I woud just tuck it into my shirt while I welded- now that it's longer, if I ever get back to welding I'll have to bun it or something.

Also, this thread might be helpful, although it is on a rather different subject it is useful:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...boot+camp+sock

My boyfriend is into welding and he has hair longer than mine. He's taller than me and has very wavy hair, so our hair looks about the same length. He deals with TIG, MIG, and some other things that I can't think of right now.

He likes to put his hair into a ponytail or double ponytail (put hair into half-up, then make another ponytail) when he is welding. He also finds that rope braiding holds his hair like a rock and feels more masculine than a 3 strand braid.

Here's Torrin Paige's tutorial on rope braiding. It's a bit tricky at first, but it gets super easy once you get used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw

Hope that helps!