Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

Length
    chin/waist/knee
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default Re: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

I do jewelry/metalsmithing and do torch work. If you can't braid can you do a pony tail with a hair tie every few inches or so?
    I braid/ponytail and then put a bandanna on my head to keep the strays out.
    You can also tuck the pony in a shirt if needed.

Er- duh...started reading the rest of the thread and lots of others said the same thing.
    Lady Branwen of the Sunlit Glory
    COMFORT THE DISTURBED. DISTURB THE COMFORTABLE.

::Slice of Sunshine Pie:: adiapalic's Avatar
    Length
    33.5"/48"/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Just had to say--your wife braids beautifully!
    It would take me ages to make a french braid that intricately.
    Lady Siduri, Keeper of the Ever-Blooming Garden in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

so, this is where all the welders hang out.

that picture was taken a few MONTHS ago, not a few years ago.

I never seen braiding done, mine only took 3 minutes... didn't seem very complicated to me. I guess my wife was right when she claimed she braided all her girlfriends hairs growing up.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

When I need my hair to be completely contained, I usually use a pony scrub. (ps: they do have some solid colors)

Easy to use ( does not require bun/braiding skills), compact, fits under hardhats.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    14/25/34
    Type
    3a/M/ii

One thing to know about LHC--the only thing we all have in common is a love of long hair. This is a HUGE community with SO many diverse backgrounds and interests...I've never had a question that SOMEONE couldn't answer, no matter what it was. This is an excellent place to be for SO many reasons.

Welcome to our family! Love to see the men growing out their hair!
    Goal 1: Dec '10 = 25 inches/ Goal 2: Dec '11 = 28 inches Goal 3: Dec '12 = 31 inches/ Goal 4: Dec '13 = 34 inches!! Final goal length!

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

There are a lot of hair tutorials both here and on YouTube, some of which from our members, that can teach you how to braid or bun your long hair in ways that stay and are damage free. Everyone feels dumb and uncoordinated when they start braiding. There are a lot of threads from new members about this. In the long run, though, we all get it and then your hands just do it all by themselves. You obviously have some talent working with your hands so there is absolutely no reason why you can't learn some really practical ways to get your hair out of the way that you can do by yourself. If you get stuck, you can ask for tips.

However, if my husband had hair long enough to braid and he wanted me to braid it for him, I would love every minute of it even if it was inconvenient. Furthermore, your hair is very beautiful. Just wanted to say that. I'm glad you missed your hair enough to grow it back out.

ETA: Good plan, trolleypup!

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

I did welding classes at least, a long time ago, and although my hair wasn't as long as it is now, it was considered to be long. I think even just wearing the welding mask or goggles had almost the same effect as wearing a bandana would have anyway.

I can braid my hair pretty rapidly, but if I couldn't I can think of a couple of things that would have the same effect, i.e. either wearing a hairglove (although I've never tried them) or simply wearing a number of ponytail bands at different places along the length of my hair (although I don't do that either). The latter option is certainly much cheaper, and a lot of bikers do that with their hair. Come to think of it, I think the people who make hairgloves aim their product mainly at bikers too. They make them in several different lengths.

A simple braid isn't so hard, and I think you should have another go at it. Just divide your hair into three and bring alternate sides into the middle. That's all there is to it really, and although it's easier said than done, it's also pretty easy with a bit of practice. If you tie your hair into a ponytail first and then braid it you may find that slightly easier, although if you don't do that then your neck hairs don't show as much.

As for a men's board, there is one called the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard that I'm surprised you haven't found, at:

www.mlhh.org

There are quite a few of us guys here who post in both places.

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I don't have anything to add but I wanted to say HI! and welcome!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

From my experience wearing a bandana and a welding hardhat with attached shield and an attached leather nape-cover is the best combination when welding above ones head. Bandanas on their own are pretty useless, they burn right through, but for protecting the hair from the helmet they are good.
    I would not weld without a helmet. Ever. A coworker did and as far as I know he still has a hole in his hair where nothing grows. A decade after the welding cinder hit his scalp. I once had a bit of it fall into the pocket of my overall. Major ouch.
    So I´d recommend learning to braid and bun to fit your hair under bandana&hardhat. It´s not that hard to learn in lack of a maid most of us braid/bun our own hair.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I don't weld, but here's something you could try: Get several flexi-8s with no centerpieces, and make some small buns with them, then put the helmet over them.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok