Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castile vs. Shampoo Bar?

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Castile vs. Shampoo Bar?

What is the difference between using castile soap to wash hair and using a shampoo bar?
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Type
    2b/C/ii

Default Re: Castile vs. Shampoo Bar?

Shampoo bars are often formulated with extra hair-friendly oils, butters, and herb infusions, whereas castile soap is made with pure olive oil.

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

What about Dr. Bonner's? Here's an ingredient list for the almond liquid soap:

INGREDIENTS:
    Water, Saponfied Organic Coconut Oil*, Saponified Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Glycerin, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Almond Fragrance, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (Vit. E), * Certified Fair Trade by IMO

Would this work like a poo bar if followed by an acid rinse?
    pixie

I use dr bronner's. Definitely dilute it. I also mix it with aloe gel or condish and use only on my scalp. Love it.
    suze

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I don't think there's a significant difference. Shampoo bars might be more superfatted than Dr. Bronner's, and CV soap bars are superfatted even further. Liquid soaps like Dr. Bronner's are saponified with KOH rather than NaOH, I think, which makes them liquid, but I don't think there's a functional difference on hair beyond delivery method.

Definitely plan on the acidic rinse. Not everyone needs it in all locations, but there's a good chance that you'll rinse the stuff out and say "ACK!" if you don't have an acid rinse nearby. (As a 7th grader, I once used Dr. Bronner's as shampoo on a camping trip and was unable to comb my hair for about 3 days, when I found someone who smuggled in some conditioner.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

When I used Dr. Bronners, it was pretty drying for me... I used the liquid kind tho. The bars might be better.

Soap-based shampoo bars normally have castor oil for extra lather, beyond that I think it's pretty subjective.

The different oils have very different qualities in soap - olive tends to be more gentle, less lather, and kind of slimy feeling, whereas coconut is really high lather, less moisturizing, makes a harder bar, etc. The variation has to do with the fatty acid structure - more versus less saturated and bond positions.
    Last edited by Norai; March 5th, 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    1.25/4.25/BSL+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Thank you for the experiences and for explaining the differences. I was thinking it might be a local alternative but I think I'll stick with the poo bars I've got already.
    pixie

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Yeah, I have oily hair and Dr. Bronner's still dried my hair out. I did use the brand's citrus conditioning rinse, which helps with the dryness. If you really don't want to order bars online, Dr. Bronner's works, but you'll need to use something more conditioning/moisturizing than dilute vinegar afterwards.

On the plus side, I did find that Dr. Bronner's didn't build up on my hair the way some shampoo bars do. I used the Dr. Bronner's bar rather than the liquid. If you use the liquid, you'll probably want to dilute it, even just to make it easier to apply.

Type
    1b/M/iii

Castile soap is made with 100% olive oil. It is actually on my list of soaps to make this week. The lather is more of a flat creamy one. It is awesome for people with really sensitive, dry, skin but it has a learning curve it you are used to soaps that produce a big bubbly lather.
    I'd have to say that if you have really dry hair a castile shampoo bar may help it out a bit.

I tried Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap and it worked waaay better than Soap Bars. But you need to dilute Castile Soap. I diluted it with tea and added Aloe Vera Juice and Argan Oil to it. I didnt have that evil soap scum I got with bars. And you can adapt the Castile Soap to your hair needs- adding oils, proteins, water or tea etc... You need to experiment with the amounts of each ingredient. And you need some acidic rinse after the soap wash. I use lime juice. There is a special shikakai rinse from Dr. Bronner too- I want to test that some day!