Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: did you get withdrawl symptoms from regular hairdresser visits when you began to grow

Default did you get withdrawl symptoms from regular hairdresser visits when you began to grow

I am so used to a regular 4 or 5 week visit to the hairdresser to keep chin length bob in top shape that i keep thinking i must look a mess now that i haven't been for 7 weeks and do not intend going for some time yet till i get some decent length going on !!!! i am trimming my fringe myself and feel withdrawl symptoms from regular hairdresser visits lol i guess it will wear of its just old habits die hard

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have never went to the hairdresser on a regualar basis, but if I did, I can see myself having a hard time breaking the habit.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I used to go every 8-12 weeks depending on the style I was maintaining. I thought it was such a PITA to have to go that often. I could never have handled 4-5 week maintenance trims. It's been such a relief to only go about 3 times a year for high lights and once a year to a long hair salon for a trim. I have a friend who is doing my trims now. It's so nice not to have to go to a salon for that. I've always hated going to salons. I've always been uncomfortable emotionally and physically. I felt bullied and pushed around in the past. I used to be sick to my stomach and so nervous when it came time to go get a trim. I know some people say going to a salon is a time of luxurious pampering but I've never been able to see it that way. It's always been a nerve wracking ordeal I had to make myself get through, kind of like going for dental work I used to reward myself for getting a trim by promising myself some kind of a goodie for dealing with it.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Funny story how I stopped getting hair cuts.

When I was little and I had bangs I would go to get a hair cut when my hair would get in my eyes. When I was maybe 12 my dad was just too lazy to make an appointment, and my bangs got pushed to the side.

A month or so passed, and I just stopped getting hair cuts. Been a self-cutting long hair from then on. =P

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I used to go to the salon every other week. I had a standing appointment. Thursday at 4:00 for a wash and set. I don't know when or why I started stretching the visits out, but I didn't really miss them when I did. Now I hope to never darker a slaon doorway again.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I got it a little bit. I started out from a regular guy's cut so going to get a trim was just so regular it became a habit really. It's just like breaking a habit. Takes a little bit of metal elbow grease just to keep up the "no." That and the fact I really finally wanted to start growing helped in that department!

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

hmm i never really went to the hairdresser that often.. we never had enough money to spend on hairdressers all the time.. i could understand why you might feel strange not going.. but think of all the money you are saving.. i never understood the consept of maintaining a haircut.. whenever i did get my hair cut i would get a different one every time.. my last one was so awful that i decided to grow my hair long.. im not so fond of hairdressers ever since.. i just never saw a reason why i should pay for something i could do myself so i hardly ever went to one..

one haircut=25$
    haircut 8 times a year=200$
    lots of money that i dont have
    can i call this classic length

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I never had 'regular' visits. I went every 5-10 months, really, when I decided my hair was getting 'too long' (ie I wore it up in a messy bun just about every day because it got in the way down), and I'd cut it back to shoulder-length, generally with layers.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    3/29.5/35
    Type
    1a/F/ii

After ten years of really short hair I went through withdrawal. I missed the scalp massage that I used to get from my regular hairdresser.

The answer for me was to trade scalp massages with a friend. We were both growing out from super short, so we also handled the little trims to keep everything looking neat. Since then, I've been to a hairdresser once in order to get everything evened out when I hit shoulder length. I've been doing my own trims since then about once a year.

Length
    14/24/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I missed it to start with - not the actual hair cutting, but the scalp massage and having somebody else do nice things with my hair.
    Now DH brushes my hair, I do neat up-dos myself (without the damage of a straightener) and I am finding collecting hairtoys far more interesting than cutting my hair every could be!
    I don't miss them pointing out how dry my scalp is (my skin is very dry all over, so it would be a surprise if my scalp was normal!) or feeling dread and guilt each time I paid an exorbitant amount of money for something that wasn't going to last anyway.
    I'm going to be a self-trimmer from now on.
    Lady Cryollaee of the Honored Woodlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The Goal: No trimming until waist (2013)