Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Growing for Thickness Instead of Length / Reaching Goal Length

Type
    1c/M/ii

I don't have a specific goal, mostly because I didn't have one at the beginning and never set one. I moved to my current town/school in first grade and knew I wanted longer hair (I had a bowl cut when I was 5, shoulder length in kindergarten), but without a specific length in mind, I just kept letting it grow, until it became my "thing" at school. I like it a lot and have no plans to cut it, but I'm approaching knee length (I actually hit it last year, but needed a trim to even things up, so was at midthigh at the beginning of the school year) and am not sure if I want it past that. I think was really got me was doing my hair for prom two days ago - I put in two small accent ropes, and I almost couldn't finish them because my arms didn't reach far enough! I want to be able to manage my hair myself for all but the fanciest hairstyles, so I think I'm about done. I'll keep going for length, since the last six-8 inches of my hair taper a lot, but I'll keep it about knee length through college, I think.

A side note - as a bored senior, I decided to bleach the tips of my hair and then dye them purple. While there was definitely damage from the bleach, I know that after a couple trims, maybe three if they're small trims, the damaged section will be gone and I'll still have long hair. I guess having hair this long gives me the freedom to play and do crazy stuff, which I would be more hesitant about if I was trying to grow for length.

fightin' in satin tights Kuchen's Avatar
    Length
    18/27/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I'm at my first goal, BSL, which is far longer than my hair's ever been. I've always trimmed as I have damage and layers that I want to remove, and I always said I'd maintain at BSL to get rid of them before heading on to waist. It suits me very well – I don't have the patience to baby ends without trimming, and it's also going to take me a while to get used to "long" hair.

Length
    BSL/55"/TERM
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I've struggled with the length/thickness debate as well. I have always been told that your hair gets too thin as it gets longer and (I know it shouldn't, but) it bothers me when someone sees my hair and thinks it's too thin or damaged to be at this length. So I trim every six months or so and I figure it'll get longer eventually. My view is that I don't want to sacrifice healthy thick ends for length, but at the same time, I do sacrifice it because to be honest, my hair is healthiest to about waist and then the quality declines.

I have pretty much just split the difference. I get a good 75% of the damage off with each trim and it evens and thickens my hemline. I still have longer hair than before, just not as long as it could be. I think I would rather have slow progress with healthy hair than to get to my goal and immediately have to cut a bunch off because it's so damged.

I want others to see my hair and think that it's pretty and healthy and not, "Oh dear, she should cut all that damage off!"

I know that many others feel the opposite of me but that's been my experience, at least.
    coming soon...

Length
    pixie/27/40
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

At this point, because I'm wearing my hair up all of the time, I don't really notice the taper (although I do know that it's there!) and so I haven't felt the urge to have a trim. The problem for me is that when I get a trim when it's wet, it may appear that I've only cut off an inch when really it'll shrink up another 3-4 inches when dry. I want to try and get at least past waist length before I have any sort of a trim. I am getting close to waist (when my hair is wet, that is), but I think at this point that I'll probably begin trimming when I get to tailbone length and let it grow more gradually to classic. Classic is presently my final goal, but if I get my hair to that length with some thickness, then I may decide to go longer again.
    First Goal: BSL
    Second Goal: Waist Length
    Third Goal: Classic Length