Thread: Scalp hates cone-free?

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Scalp hates cone-free?

So I'm a CO washer who uses baking soda to clarify my hair. I CO off and on almost everyday (I'm a compulsive washer). I haven't used baking soda in three weeks though, so I doubt that's the problem I'm going to discuss here, and I'm considering going back to shampoo anyway for clarifying.

So here's the problem; my scalp has been wonky since I started being cone-free, specifically in the back of my head where the hair 'whorls' out from. I think this is because it has a little more exposure than the rest of my head, maybe. The rest of it isn't great either, but it doesn't hurt. I've always had sensitive scalp in that area, but when I was using cones (and believe me, I was basically frosting my hair with layer upon layer of them; I went through a bottle of leave-in in two weeks, and gel in four, with hairspray etc.) it wasn't as irritated. Not even hairspray bothered it.

My mom thinks it's from my pony tail, but I doubt it. It hurts without one. Any opinions? I've tried putting aloe on the spot, oiling it, andeven using miconazle in case it was something fungal, but I don't think that's the problem (XD).
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    16/23.5/30
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

This does seem a little strange, it seems odd that your scalp should play up with one less ingredient in your product i.e. cones. Could it just be that particular conditioner that is causing the problem? Have you tried a different coneless conditioner? If you have then i'm stumped
    1b/f/i
    growing out the sparklies

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

As Kate says, it could be something else in the coneless conditioner your scalp doesn't like.

Then again, quite a few people on here seem to have reported itchy scalps with the CO method - me included! Maybe a gentle, pure shampoo would get whatever it is off. Might I suggest you massage a little olive oil into the scalp and leave overnight? it helps mine when it's dry

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I agree it could be a specific ingredient in the new conditioner, but also maybe it misses the baking soda.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I use diluted shampoo on the scalp only, as do many others on this board. This solves the itchy scalp problem.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I'd say its likely not the cones, but the CO. When I tried CO for a month my scalp became extra sensitive, and I got sores as well. Went back to shampoo and conditioning, it went away.

I'm not sure if thats it in your case, but it could be.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Well, I've been sticking to the same LINE of conditioners for a bit now (VO5), but suave did the same thing.

I'lll give the diluted shampoo a shot. Maybe I'll go grab a bottle of that mint julep stuff...
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)