Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Queston about kids' hair care?

Length
    pixie/jaw/waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Queston about kids' hair care?

I have a 6, 4,3 and 1 year old. I basically just use baby wash on their hair (not the 6 year old) and was wondering if anyone follows a not shampoo routine for their kids' hair? So you shampoo? Condition? Etc. THanks!
    God's grace is enough! I am blessed.
    Growing out pixie since 11/09. Goal: waist

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Queston about kids hair care?

I've read on some no-poo forums that many parents have found success just rinsing their children's hair in plain water. Young children's hair doesn't get as greasy as adults' hair, so shampoo is not always necessary to use.

Length
    33"/34.5/37"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Past the infant stage, I started using my shampoo and conditioners on my daughter's hair. I tried some of the special for kids' products, but they were all filled with chemical scents (which I can't stand) and left her hair dry and tangled. With "real" shampoos and conditioners there wasn't nearly as much crying and whining about detangling, because it was finally easy to get a comb through her hair. You just need to use smaller amounts, especially with conditioners, because baby fine hair gets weighed down easily.

I'm trying to remember the shampoo I was using when she was really little... Anyway, it didn't hurt my eyes, so I figured it would be okay if some accidently got in hers. I can't remember which one it was though, sorry.

Also, I don't wash her hair more than once a week (barring some disaster, lol), it just doesn't need it any more than that. And now that it's long, I oil her hair at least twice a week, sometimes more during the winter.
    Last edited by sweet*things; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I have 5.5 and 2.5 y.o. with BSL and APL hair respectively. I wash their hair with sulphate-free baby shampoo (and sometimes babywash) but only when it really is dirty, which usually is once in 3-4 weeks. During this time they get it (partially) wet when playing in the bath, which is also ok.
    I sometimes oil my oldest daughter's hair if I can't comb through it.

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

My little boy is only 6 months old and his hair is just as oily as mine, so he needs a shampooing every second day. I don't think water-only would work with his oiliness, but I haven't found the best routine for mine yet, either.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have a 7 yo with 1b / F/M / ii hair at the "can-I-call-this-waist" stage. I use Suave Kids 2 in 1 on her hair. A: because she likes it and chose it herself, B: because it's full of *cones which helps detangle. I usually follow with the knock-off Garnier for extra conditioning/*coneage. We also occasionally use the Suave detangler for kids as well, again, because she likes it. I do run a clarify every other week or so for her. Her hair is double braided every night, and attempts are made to keep it contained in the day to day, but you know how kids can be.

*EDIT: I also oil on occasion. Usually after we clarify. And we don't always wash every night, sometimes it's just a fresh-water rinse with some condish on the ends.
    Last edited by clichepithet; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Length
    Buzz/37.5/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I most often use WO (water only) for my 4 year old DD (her hair is between hip and tailbone right now). After her swimming lessons in a salt water pool I use conditioner only on her hair. I have only rarely used shampoo, and only when she gets her hair really dirty.

ETA: I forgot to add that I also sometimes oil her hair with coconut oil, particularly her curly ends.
    Last edited by GeoJ; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

This is a great thread. I plan to have babies in the next couple of years, so I've found myself seeking out and absorbing information lately, trying to avoid that "I wish I knew this then" experience in the future. I really appreciate all of you parents who share your experiences, tips and tricks. Thanks guys.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet*things View Post
    Past the infant stage, I started using my shampoo and conditioners on my daughter's hair. I tried some of the special for kids' products, but they were all filled with chemical scents (which I can't stand) and left her hair dry and tangled. With "real" shampoos and conditioners there wasn't nearly as much crying and whining about detangling, because it was finally easy to get a comb through her hair. You just need to use smaller amounts, especially with conditioners, because baby fine hair gets weighed down easily.

I'm trying to remember the shampoo I was using when she was really little... Anyway, it didn't hurt my eyes, so I figured it would be okay if some accidently got in hers. I can't remember which one it was though, sorry.

Also, I don't wash her hair more than once a week (barring some disaster, lol), it just doesn't need it any more than that. And now that it's long, I oil her hair at least twice a week, sometimes more during the winter.
    This is exactly what I do with my 3 year old's hair. For my 1.5 year old boy, I still use SLS free baby shampoo.

My 5 year old son uses shampoo, I'm not worried about damaging his hair, I keep it short and get it cut often.

My 3 1/2 year old daughter has waist length fine hair that I would love to wash less, but I have to wash it about every other day -> every 3 days b/c she gets it so dirty or gets food in it quite a bit (I put her hair up but she takes it down throughout the day). I switch between S/C and CO for her hair.