Thread: Pre and Post Straightening

Length
    chin/bsl/class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Pre and Post Straightening

I fancy a change from my curls, maybe its too much time spent at work looking at head after head of sleek, straight hair thats got me craving my own head of super straight strands but the damage from blowdry.straighteneing is putting me off. What can i do before and after a straightning session to keep my hair is good condition. I was thinnking an SMT the night before and then a protein treatment and SMT or DT when i was afterwards. ...Also using a silicone heat protectant would help???

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Pre and Post Straightening

lots of spay in catnip then when damp -

results come out great but does take practice to get right.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Funny how I'd always wanted curly hair as a child I guess we're always interested in what is different.

I'd recommend making absolutely sure that your hair is completely dry before attempting to straighten it, using a leave-in heat protectant spray, and not touching the hair right after it is straightened. If you touch hair when it is still warm, it doesn't hold the straightness (is that a word? haha) for as long. Make sure it has cooled completely before you comb it out/style it. Also, if your straightener has a low heat setting, it'd be best to use that. Deep treatments/SMT's couldn't hurt either (:

When I was little, my sisters and I used to straighten our hair out with an iron, like a clothing iron. I don't remember any damage from it, but I'm sure that anything you do will be better for your hair than that

Length
    Hip/Class/Uh...
    Type
    2b/C/ii

If you're only going to straighten your hair once, your hair is unlikely to get too damaged.

Try to use the lowest heat setting on your flat iron that still allows you to get your hair straight, and try to pass the iron over your hair only once. If you absolutely must pass it over your hair a second or third time, try to wait until that section has "cooled" some from the previous pass.

My hair seems to like SMTs right after a straightening. But then...it seems to always like those!

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I straighten my hair regularly and I still get a lot of compliments on how nice it is, so I don't think it's too damaged if you use protection and don't overheat it.

I'd definitely use some protection, though. I use a generous application of Moroccan Oil before straightening and I find that it's a huge help. It also seems to keep my hair straight for a long time. On average, one hour-long straightening session will last roughly two days without needing a touch up. I've heard similar from others who use the product, as well.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper View Post
    On average, one hour-long straightening session will last roughly two days without needing a touch up. I've heard similar from others who use the product, as well.

It takes an hour to straighten your hair? I've always wanted my hair to be curlier. The grass is always greener, as they say.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

When I want straight hair, I cone it up well, blow it out gently on lower heat settings (never warmer than would be comfortable on my face) using a wide tooth comb and my fingers to detangle as I dry. I finish with my paddle brush to polish and further smooth. That usually gets it straight enough to make me happy. But if I want it even smoother, I set it on some jumbo Caruso rollers for a few minutes. That really smooths it out, leaving it with a gentle curve and lots of bounce and shine.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I like that smooth straight feeling too from time to time. I usually get a girl that blow dries my hair really straight at the salon do it without having to use a flat iron. To me a flat iron causes much more damage than a blow dryer. If I do it myself, I blow it dry as straight as I can after using a good coney conditioner and leave-in. Then I go over the strands very lightly and quickly with my CHI iron. I think it helps to use a very good iron if you do flat iron. However, you WILL see some damage. There is absolutely no way around it. I can get a blowout from the salon to last for over a week, usually about 10 days believe it or not. BUT I have a lot more broken/split ends than I used too when I didn't do this and just wore it curly all the time. I am probably not growing much longer if any than waist though so it's a trade-off. Also it does depend on your hair. My hair is not fine and pretty resiliant. Finer hair or weaker hair could be MUCH more prone to damage.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    13.5/29.5"/33"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Don't fall for the straight hair propaganda! Its just used in marketing to sell you products!

Length
    20 in/27 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

i got my hair straightened from a reputed salon,but now its kind of wavy.but it is easy to manage and looks good.i am only worried about the aftercare.