Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep thickness down to the hemline?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ././.

Default Re: How to keep thickness down to the hemline?

I hope to do the same! I wear my hair down so much and it's still layered so updos and even braids get frustrating.

I really want to be able to wear rope braids that don't look fuzzy or spiky..

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think trimming is the key. It allows the slower-growing hairs to catch up to the faster-growing hairs.

And, of course, good care so that you're not causing breakage and you don't need to have much cut off with a trim. I went one full year without trimming just to see how much faster my hair grew, and the damage traveled so far up that I had more hair than usual cut off the following year to make up for it. It's regular trimming for me from now on! I'd much rather lose 1/2 inch per trim than go a year, grow 7 thin inches, and have to cut 10 inches the following year to catch up with the damage. My hair just loves to split! And those splits love to get wider and wider and wider!

Type
    1c/F/M/iii

I've much the same experience as Ladylonglocks. I had an even, thick hemline until mid thigh, then i started thinning. Bot dramatically, but enough for me to notice. In my case the reason for the thinning wasn't only hair growin unevenly, but also that I didn't trim beteween mid thigh and calf. I did do S&D, and over a 18-20 months period it does thin out the hemline. I had a proper trim about 8-10 cm a few days ago and now the hemline looks thicker again.

My hair do taper, though, don't belive anything else.
    October 2009, troll hair with braid waves.

Length
    AP/TB/~W/???
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but for those of you who keep a U-shaped hemline, how many inches difference do you keep between the lowest part of the U and the sides?

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I actually agree with your hairdresser. The longer your hair gets, the thinner it gets. Nobody's thickness at their hemline is as thick as it is at their nape. We just don't ever post the pictures that look like they have thin ends

Trims and keeping good care of my hair do help to keep my hemline thicker than it otherwise would be though.

Length
    ?/TB/Clssc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks for all the advice - I actually just trimmed a couple inches off last night (by myself ! first time I've ever done that !) to thicken the hemline some. Unfortunately I think part of it is my hair being really fine...I think it looks really thin because it's very flat. I have like ZERO volume. But yeah it's helped some for sure. I really need to start taking better care of my hair so it can grow in even thicker.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLongLocks View Post
    [B]I have bangs and a shorter piece in the center of the back of my head to catch up.This has diminished the volume at the ends. The center piece is 12" shorter than the hemline and I don't know how I got this! I am not ready to cut 12"!!
    I have the thinner/shorter hair thing going on in my nape region as well. I think it is rather common. Not only is that area thinner, shorter, and more tangle prone, but a big chunk in that area is a much lighter color than the rest of my hair (I would say blonde, but it's really just blonde compared to my normal color, not sure if it's a true blonde on its own).

Anyway, I agree with most of the other posters. It is all about trimming. You can either do it along the way, or wait until you reach your desired goal length. Either way works. Personally, I liked to trim once a year while I was growing. That way I would not have to think about it or keep going back to trim more, which is what I find happens when you don't have a regular trimming schedule. Lots of little trims here and there can end up taking away all your growth. So I prefer to do it once, trimming whatever amount is necessary, and be done.

It takes a while after my hair reaches a new length for the slower growing or shorter hairs to catch up. So at first it is just the leaders, but once the other hairs catch up the ends begin to thicken. Whereas if you maintain one length for a long time more hairs have a chance to reach the ends, giving you a thicker hemline.

Of course, since we all have taper (hairs in different stages of the growth process) there will be a terminal length at which growth=shed rate. Usually people who reach that length cannot maintain a thick hemline, since once a hair reaches the tips it is near at the end of its cycle and will fall out.
    Last edited by Cinnamon Hair; February 25th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.