Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand this braided updo

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Help me understand this braided updo

I saw instructions of a braided updo that I assume I might like, but I don't quite understand them. My own hair right now might be too short for this too. I was hoping if someone would be able to interpret the instructions and maybe even take photo of this updo? I don't think I have seen it before.

Hair Slide Style Braid Loop

First create one braid down the back. This hairstyle works with the French Braid but the plain plait is more ideal. If your braid tends to loosen easily, secure the end. Lift the braid up the back of your head, and place fingers at top, permitting the rest of the braid to fall downwards. Taking the tail end of the braid you wrap it underneath the main section without tucking too much of the braid under. Take a firm grip of the braid until you replace your hand with the slide. It is vital you catch the outer loop of the braid as the stick slides through. No tugging or pulling of the stick or the hair if you're not successful on the first attempt, just simply slide the stick back out and try again. You can make the loop wide or close together. You can move the braid and the stick through as you do it to hold in place. A heavy hand for doing this is not recommended, but patience is.

(Source)

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Arctic; February 20th, 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Help me understand this braided updo

Hmm, I think I am starting to understand this. I tried it on my hair and it really seems a bit too short and they layers stick up every which way The end result of the first try look messy but it's very comfy and sturdy feeling.

Length
    shdr/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Last edited by lacereza; March 1st, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Thank you Lacereza!

Turns out I imagined this would look complitely different. Pictures speak thousand words, I managed to find a photo of this updo from the net: here.

What I had imagined it would be like is something like this, sorry about horrible picture, lol!

I actually like my "own" updo better, and even though my hair is a bit short for it, it was super comfy in every way as I tried it on yesterday! I'm definitely going to use this especially when my hair will be a bit longer than it is now.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Are there any pictures?

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Not yet, no. It wasn't very photo worthy with my layers sticking out and my hair being so short right now I'm hoping someone with a bit longer hair would try this Anyone interested??? I'll wash my hair later today, I'll try to make a neat version with damp hair and snap a picture.

Length
    pixie/50?/70?
    Type
    1c/M/i/ii

how is the braid end secure?
    This seems sorta like an infinity w/a braid.
    I just take my braid and do an infinity (sideways , then wrap the excess around the base of that and use the loops as a hair slide. That way the tail is secured. I can't see how that one is secure, but the instructions are ... unclear
    May 2008: Natural waves, prior to drying, when it straightens out.
    Lady Nant Botanica of the Stubborn Jaw from the Land of Nees

When I read those instructions, my brain hurt.

Then I thought of this: http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html#ficcare

Not sure if it's supposed to be the same style, though. Nobody can, with those directions.

Length
    13/37.5/termi
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

WOW, those instructions are...not specific..i can't help at all...?
    Lady Primrose~Garden Keeper of the Hillside Warren in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I just tried both methods. Pics:

The "Simple Braid Loop":

This one is very easy to do, and quite well balanced on me (although it looks much different to me than the one in the picture you linked... )

Arctic's method:

I had to try this a couple of times to get it to work. I usually braid using Dianyla's parting technique, but that makes the braid too high for this updo, I think. So I did it by just dividing my length into three sections close to the nape, and braided snugly. I think my hair would have to be longer and with less taper/damaged ends for this to work properly - the left side is where my braid ends, and it's much smaller than the other side.